Best time of year to buy? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Best time of year to buy?

So, its my first post to this forum. What a great resource!!! My husband and I are in search of a mid size suv to replace our dodge diesel 4x4.

Its too big and not necessary for us. I understand the Commander doesnt get the best mielage but it is an suv for gosh sakes!! Were looking for an 07/08 v6, 4x4 for about 18,000. Should we go w/a used? or any chance of getting a screaming deal on a new one? Is there better sales on the new ones after 1/1/08 or would it be the same deals as now? Any ideas/suggestions on these questions greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

The best time to buy a car seems to be right after I buy one. The sales just keep getting better...lol. I know the 07 Limited's are on sale for about 28k here. But that's 10k too steep. I haven't seen any 07's for that price, though. Even used one's here are pulling 15k (06's). The best time to buy is right now. It's the end of the model year and they are placing/receiving orders for new vehicles now. However, if there are any 07s on the lot in 08 (the later the better) you can score a great deal. I got almost 10k off on mine new. You just run the chance of their being none left after 08 (due to great deals now). If you can find an 07 4x4 for under 18k and it is an 07 with less than 50k miles, I'd say get it. I hate to sell Jeep out, but if you are looking for a used 4x4 in that range, you might be able to get a Nissan Xterra for that range. HTH.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Yeah, I assumed a Commander would be too much, but surprisingly there are quite a few going for 18,000 here. They are under 20,000 miles for an '07. So it sounds like one of these used ones were looking at would be the best price. Even if we can get out the door under 20,000 i would be happy Planning for the future... would the V6 be able to handle a flatbed trailer with two sport quads? Or is it really necessary to get the V8. I don't really want the V8 unless its 100% necessary.

I can't wait to get one... were goin shopping on Friday!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Points: 3,910, Level: 39 Points: 3,910, Level: 39 Points: 3,910, Level: 39
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

As an observation most that have the 4.7 have been very happy. Those that have the 5.7 hemi seem elated. There is nothing like the feel of power when you put the foot down. I have to stop myself pretty often. Both would be able to pull a small trailer with a pair of quads pretty easily. Drive both then make the call. That's what I did.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

RE: Best time of year to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country06
So, its my first post to this forum. What a great resource!!! My husband and I are in search of a mid size suv to replace our dodge diesel 4x4.

Its too big and not necessary for us. I understand the Commander doesnt get the best mielage but it is an suv for gosh sakes!! Were looking for an 07/08 v6, 4x4 for about 18,000. Should we go w/a used? or any chance of getting a screaming deal on a new one? Is there better sales on the new ones after 1/1/08 or would it be the same deals as now? Any ideas/suggestions on these questions greatly appreciated!!
It depends on your budget overall, and what model Commander you wish to get. Indeed the prices will be lower on the sport models, equipped w/ the 3.7L or 4.7L engines.

Be aware that Jeep is offering lifetime powertrain warranties on NEW vehicles. This includes vehicle sold since like after Sept or Oct. I'm not sure how much longer the 'special' goes into effect.

Rest assure to use Edmunds.com to find the TMV of the model you wish to get. Next, find the current dealer incentives and rebates, if available. Look on both for the '07 and '08 models (they should differ).

Next, NEGOTIATE the numbers with your salesperson... but don't give in easily on the first 2-3 rounds (start very low, near the invoice price). If they won't budge, then just step out and walk away. That'll really get their attention, and they'll try to work on the selling price again. Once you've come to a suitable price...agree with them, but also reiterate to them that you know of the current incentive/rebate that is being offered. They're obligated to then deduct even MORE money off the initial final offering. At this time, you can also mention a trade-in (if any).

RULE OF THUMB: Don't mention how much you're willing to put down, to spend, any trade-ins, etc.

Next fight will be with finance. We all know you can apply for car loans online (Capital One, for example). You don't have to try, but if your credit is good/excellent, you may be able to qualify for a good interest rate. Look at the current rates at bankrate.com. Add a few tenths of a point, and then inform finance that you were approved for the X.X% amount. They're not obligated nor have the right to confirm what you say anyways... the goal here is to have them work harder in finding the best interest rate to match (preferrably beat) your 'rate'.

So there are many variables to consider. Remember that interest rates will be higher too on used vehicles. FYI!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

If you can find a new 4x4 for 18k, I'd say now is the time to buy.

I have an 06 4.7 4x4 with 31k that I MIGHT sell for 18k...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander
If you can find a new 4x4 for 18k, I'd say now is the time to buy.

I have an 06 4.7 4x4 with 31k that I MIGHT sell for 18k...
Our dealer here in Peoria is now offering $11,000 off new 07 Limited's in stock.
I bet you could ask for $12K off and they would sell you one.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Welcome to the forum! I can't help you with prices because I'm in Canada and the prices up here are ridiculously overpriced especially with the CDN dollar as high as it is. I have a 3.7 in mine and happy with it, the only thing I would want is the transfer case with a low gear but you can only get it with the V8's. If you buy new, get a quote on your trade in before you deal. I don't know what the deals are down there but I have a couple of control numbers for an Employee Friends discount left over that expire at the end of the year. I usually give one out if I know someone's buying a Chrysler product. What you would do is get your best deal then ask how much it would be at the employee friends price, then you'd know where you stand. Where they can get you is on the trade, that's why you need to know it's value before hand.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Points: 4,431, Level: 42 Points: 4,431, Level: 42 Points: 4,431, Level: 42
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Go with the Hemi! Get a used one, great deals. It is better to have too much tha too little. 4 Wheel mag. says that anything below a hemi will lose mpg if you ad a roofrack....think ahead.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I would suggest you stay away from the 3.7 for your purposes. The 4.7 will give you almost the same MPG and if towing on the highway it will do at least as well. The HP is not that much different but you'll feel it. There will be some deals around as there should be a number of leases coming up since it has been out a couple years now. Whatever you decide good luck!!! You will be happy with everything about the Commander except maybe mileage but you already know in advance about that. Whatever you decide good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in