4low - popping sound - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4low - popping sound

Using my 4 low yesterday and I noticed it popping when I turned. It never does this normally (that I've noticed) when 4 low is not engaged. I'm guessing CV joints. Any input??

2006 Limited 4X4 QDII HEMI
Purchased Aug 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Were you turning on pavement? Or at least a surface with enough traction to cause driveline binding?

If you had bad CV joints, likely they would be making the same noise regardless what gear you were in.

If the noise only comes when you turn in 4 low, then likely it is something that is only present when you are turning in 4low.

If you have 4low, then you have either QTII or QDII, both lock the center differential when shifting into 4low, and that center differential would have much more force on it while turning and if it was forced to slip it "could" make a popping noise.

This is why the O.M. states to NOT engage 4low on pavement or high traction surfaces that will NOT allow the tires to slip and spin a bit.

If you have QDII, then you have electronic control LSD's and in 4low they should lock as well, and the same thing would happen while turning as the center differential above.

If you're turning in 4low on low traction surfaces, like grass/dirt/sand/mud/etc then perhaps something is malfunctioning and the first thing I would suspect is one of the locking differentials. And the first thing I would suspect is low or contaminated fluid, I would check fluid and their levels, if you're due for an oil change on the differential/axles, I would do it and see if it the problem continues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Dirt road. QDII. I'll check the fluids. And actually, that makes a lot of sense. When decelerating from highway speeds there is a loud whining/howling sound. I bet that's it. Thanks!

Is synthetic fluid recommended for the QDII diffs?

Purchased Aug 2014

Last edited by Gearhead65; 08-19-2014 at 09:37 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Yes, Synthetic Fluid, plus you have to add a certain (small) quantity of friction modifier to the fluid for the clutches in the QDII electronic controlled LSD Diffs.

The NV245? XFR Case of the QTII/QDII needs a special fluid from the Dealer. It used to recommend ATF+4, like the NV140, but it was switched to a special fluid because of the noise issues.

Diffs use 70W-140 Synthetic GL5 Gear Oil, any brand is fine, as long as its synthetic and GL5, I use AMSOIL. I forget the individual quantities of front and rear, but combined it is 1/2 oz less than a whole gallon.

If you have the electronic LSD of QDII you'll have to find out the quantity of Mopar Friction Modifier and get it from the dealer and add it. Lots of stores sell friction modifier, don't know if its the same as the Mopar Friction Modifier though.

I've seen claims that the MOPAR special NV245 fluid is just the same fluid marketed by a big aftermarket XFR case company, forget the name. AMSOIL claims their Tractor Trans/Hydrualic Fluid is the right fluid for the NV245, don't know if that is true or NOT either.

The safest/most reliable thing to use is exactly what is recommended by the manfactuere. Arguably, if ATF+4 used to be recommended and was changed only because of noise issues, I suspect that other quality aftermarket fluids that claim they were tested and work well, knowing they meet the specs of what is required for the NV245, would be a good bet that it will work well. BUT, THAT IS SPECULATION, NOT PROOF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I think I'll change out the diff fluid first hopefully this weekend. Cause it's a sure bet the dealer didn't do it before I bought it (only had it a few weeks now).

Purchased Aug 2014
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Does this look about right?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-4318060AB-Limited-Additive/dp/B000TTEX8W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1408545041&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=mopar+friction+modifier

Purchased Aug 2014
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead65 View Post
I don't know, the owner's manual should specify exactly what you need and the amount. Notice the bottle has "MS-10111" on the label, that is the Mopar Spec, so if your O.M. says to use friction modifier meeting spec MS-10111, then yes, that looks about right.

The AMSOIL Website states to add Mopar TrakLock part number 4318060 to the axles with electronic limited slip differentials. So, it does look like it is correct, but I'd check the O.M.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I thought I saw a post about someone having noise and binding in the diffs of QDII and changing the fluid solved it.

The QDII diffs have clutch packs in them, so degraded fluid could very likely cause problems with them engaging/disengaging like they should.

The service schedule in the O.M. is pretty screwy, normal, the fluid lasts the life of the vehicle, severe it is too change it every 10k miles. So you've got to figure the way most people use their Commander, a good change schedule has to fall somewhere inbetween those extremes. I changed my the first time at 30k miles, used AMSOIL and planned to do subsequent changes at 60k mile intervals using the AMSOIL, which I'm overdue for a change now.

If you're towing heavy loads or doing some serious off roading, then yea, more often than 30k miles, more like the 10k recommended for severe duty schedule, would be more appropraite.

Last edited by Mongo; 08-20-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in