Roof Rack Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Roof Rack Question

I have Jeep roof rack cross bars on the top of my Commander. The front crossbar seems to be held in place pretty well and the rear one is loose and slides back and forth when I drive. I notice that there is a key slot on each end of these cross bars. Is a key needed to tighten or loosen these cross bars? If so, where would I find another key, as I did not get one with the purchase of this vehicle? Or if anything I would like to just take them off and put a roof rack of my choosing on. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Commander 4X4 (stock, as of now)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Points: 32,600, Level: 100 Points: 32,600, Level: 100 Points: 32,600, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
No key on mine, just a large tightening knob on the top of the crossbar on each side over the side rails. There are only 5 places along the side rails where the crossbar will snap into and then tighten using the knobs.
The owners manual page 169 & 170 explain the cross rails and have a picture of stock ones. You might have after market ones?

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
I have the same ones as you. No you don't need the key to tighten them up. You can pull up the rubber strip on the top and there should be a torx screw that goes down into a clip that holds it tight to the rail. Do that on both sides and you should be good. Hardest thing is getting that rubber strip back into the top. I need to see if I can get that key from somewhere. Didn't come with the jeep when I bought it.

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
You must have the Mopar cross rails. had them on the old YK. do as XKlov said and you'll be fine.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

I'm assuming he probably has these: Sport Utility Bars, which in this case it does have keys.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylowjoe83 View Post
...Or if anything I would like to just take them off and put a roof rack of my choosing on...
At least on the OE cross bars, they can be removed rather easily. The knob just tightens/loosens a "J" hook that wraps around the lip of the rail. Just loosen the knobs well past the point that you would if you just wanted to slide them to a new position, jiggle the knob a bit as you lift the crossbar and you should be able to swing the "J" hook clear of the rail lip and remove the bar on that side, repeat for the other side.

I don't know, but I suppose its possible the lockable sport bar, using the same procedure to tighten it, instead loosen the torx screws even farther might do the same as the OE crossbar and allow you to lift out of the track on the rails.

Finally, replacement keys? I suppose you could try to dissemble the sport bar enough to remove the lock cylinder, bring it to a lock smith, see if he could rekey if for you, or (depending on the lock cyclinder is constructed) you could gut the lock cylinder and any key or flat head screwdriver would turn it to unlock it.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input and help guys. I will be looking into it today.

Joe

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK Lover View Post
I have the same ones as you. No you don't need the key to tighten them up. You can pull up the rubber strip on the top and there should be a torx screw that goes down into a clip that holds it tight to the rail. Do that on both sides and you should be good. Hardest thing is getting that rubber strip back into the top. I need to see if I can get that key from somewhere. Didn't come with the jeep when I bought it.

Got it fixed. Thanks for the info. I had to go buy some tamper proof Torx, but its all good now.

Joe

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Just a thought? Have you tried the ignition key in the sports bar lock? The dealer has the ability to rekey lock cylinders, and new replacement lock cylinder come without tumbler/gate open and waiting for the dealer to key it to a key, and these were a Mopar Items, I would NOT be surprised if they were keyed for your ignition key.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I did try the ignition key and that wasnt it. I asked the dealer I bought it from and he said they didnt have the keys. But I got it all figured out and fixed without a key.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in