2006 Commander won't start - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2006 Commander won't start

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and it won't start. I had this problem last year and replacing the starter seemed to work till about a week ago. I was leaving for work and it hesitated, made some noise but it started. The next morning it made some more noise but this time it made that sound a car makes when someone tries to start it while it's already running but It started anyway and I went on my way. It's been doing this now for a week but always seems to start till this Sunday morning I was going to pull it up on my ramps to take a look at the starter. I cranked it up and like it's been doing for the past week it made some noise and started. I moved it into position for the ramps but my wife needed me for something so I shut it off. When I returned to pull it up on the ramps it wouldn't do anything but from what seems to be under the dash. I get all the dash lights as normal and it goes through all the tests but when I turn it all the way to start nothing happens but for a clicking sound. I removed the battery to take it to AutoZone to test it and they said it won't take a load and needs to be replaced. Well, $180 and a new battery later it still doesn't start. I tried to get under to check the connections to the starter but OMG!! I don't know how anyone can get to that starter without removing a bunch of stuff. I did remove the skid plate but I still can't get to it. Please can someone offer any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

There are many posts about corrosion on the cables to the starter that causes the starter to fail. Most say a good tug on the cables to the starter usually gets it to shake off enough corrosion to allow it to start for a while.

If that is the case, you may still have to remove the cables and starter to clean off all the corrosion, but at least you won't have to buy a new starter.

The starter that you replaced the orginal with? Was it a new starter, a quality rebuild or cheapest rebuild you could find? Might be the reason it failed again within a year, or it may be the corrosion on the starter cables problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Thank you for your reply...
The starter I replaced the old one with was a new starter I bought online at RockAuto.com. It came with a lifetime warranty so if it needs replaced that shouldn't be an issue other then getting to the starter to remove it and reinstall it. As you probably already know it's hard to get to the starter on these Commanders. Any advise on that?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Points: 5,463, Level: 47 Points: 5,463, Level: 47 Points: 5,463, Level: 47
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120,000
I had an issue like this on my WK. Turned out it wasn't the starter but the alternator. I had replaced it and didn't have a good connection on the pigtail adapter. So when I put a multimeter on it, it was fine, but when I drove it, it wasn't charging the battery. Made very similar noises to what you described when trying to start. Seems like you would've knocked off any corrosion on the starter cables when you replaced it. Also, double check your grounding on the starter, alternator, and battery, and all related fuses. My WK was a 3.7 FYI.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 AM
Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

make sure the battery cable posts that are at the batt are clean and tight on there. might me a loose connection.
also check the wires going to the starter /starter relay, they might be touching each other causing a drainage and causing that double starting.
if all is good, get inside it and lock the jeep, and sit there patiently and wait, and observe that all the dome lights turn off a/c radio and all other components stay off. Put ur FOB key down and listing to see if the car locks unlocks by itself. Review the FOB buttons sometimes they stay stuck and can cause a drainage. Replace the FOB KEY battery just to rule out that problem.
I had a similar thing happen to me and realized my alarm was glitchy and setting off, likely the alarm and FOB key was causing drainage. So at the end I took out the horns relay, never really knew the real problem, I don’t have a horn but ever since that it stops acting up. If you can live with locking it and unlocking it manually.
Any other possible aftermarket electronic components that might be draining the battery? Aftermarket car stereo? HID lights, aftermarket alarms? U might want to look at those

Ur check engine light my not be on, but u might want to run a obd scanner on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in