Flooded Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Flooded Commander

Hi Brand new to the forum please be gentle. I am in the UK and need a decent towing vehicle and have a Jeep Commander in mind. I have had the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee (Liberty) before so I am not new to Jeep.

My question is what do I need to look out for in a Jeep Commander that has been flooded up to the seat runners?

Many thanks

Hintza

Last edited by Hintza; 09-08-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I have no experience with flooded Commanders, nor have I seen posts or spoken with anyone that does.

BUT,
*There are wire bundles running through the floor by the door sills, they may or may NOT be able to dry out without shorts.
*There are electronic modules in the doors, under the center lower console and under the rear seats, I "think" modules for the traction control, air bags and controlling the NV245 xfr case.
*Later Commanders (I think '08-'10) were drive by wire, the accellerator pedal will be an electrical sensor with wires connected to it, NOT a simply lever with a cable attached, it could be damaged by flooding to the seat rails.

Vehicles that have been flooded are often "written off". A vehicle that is so heavily dependent on electronics that has been flooded, could suffer even worse.

Make sure to check for all the test lights on the dash, when you turn the key. All the warning lights will lite for 5 seconds to tell you they are working. Some one less than ethical could disable the lites to hide a problem, and thus they would not lite during the test when first turning the key to start.

If the vehicle has ABS/BAS/Traction Control Lights, ESP lights, Air Bag Lights, Service FWD lights, this could be the result of electrical problems from flooding and thus it may need very expensive repairs.

If the only thing wrong is the smell of fungus and mildew from the flooded carpet, in the States it is very popular with Jeeps to tear out the floor carpet and paint the floor panels with rubberized coatings or pick-up truck bed liner, so that is an option. Most people like it, especially a ruggetized vehicle like a jeep, why keep cleaning the carpets that get muddy, just rinse out the floor that has a thick grippy surface on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

That is very helpful, many thanks Mongo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in