Leaking sunroof! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Leaking sunroof!

After a carwash or heavy rain, upon braking, my sunroof is leaking from the back side in the center onto the center armrest. After taking a closer look, I'm thinking my sunroof might be missing a piece of weatherstrip at the back. Would someone mind taking a peak at their sunroof and comparing to mine? Otherwise, what would be causing my sunroof to leak? The drains are not clogged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
The only weather strip is on the glass itself. Theres a rain gutter that diverts the water left and right and 4 drains, n,s,e and w that carry water away. Maybe your gutter came off track....it should slide front to rear with the sunroof. Take a close look on each side of the gutter to make sure the wire guides are in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The picture is too close to see the seal on the window.

Water will make it past the seal on the sunroof glass, even brand new and in good shape, that is why there is a gutter under the seal with drain tubes at every corner. How do you know your drain tubes are NOT clogged?

I do NOT have a sunroof on my Commander, but I have had sunroofs on other Chrysler vehicles, and in those vehicles the sunroof glass needed adjustment from time to time to remain flushed with the roof surface while closed. If it got out of adjustment far enough, it would contribute to leaking enough water to over flow the gutter and properly working drains. I have no idea if the Commander sunroof is the same or different, but its worth taking a look to see if the top of the seal is flush with the roof surface (i.e. doesn't form a ledge for water to collect in) and if NOT if there are screws hold the glass frame to the rail of the sunroof that can be loosened and retightened to allow adjustment of the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I've been informed of a recalibration procedure for the sunroof I'm going to try for adjustment, though I didn't notice the sunroof not sitting flush.

Hold vent until full vent, release, and hold vent again for 5 seconds to initiate recalibration routine.

I tested and blew out the sunroof drains with compressed air just last week, but I was only aware of the front two drains It's possible that one of my rear drains are clogged, so I will blow those out and try the recalibration. I may have posted up too soon--it just looked like I was looking at a weatherstrip channel with missing weatherstrip.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Yea, I don't know for sure, but seen post after post that there are drain tubes at every corner, there was on the sunroof of my other Chrysler vehicle. If the rears are clogged, that could create the conditions for exactly what you've described.

It can't hurt to do the recalibration process, BUT, I don't think it will help. I'm thinking the recalibration of the door windows, the process just recalibrates the force that the window motor will stop at. i.e. if its too much it presses the window to hard when its fully closed/open and if its too little, the window will stop part way thinking its hit the stops when it hasn't.

Perhaps the sunroof is NOT closing completely, and then the recalibration would probably help. Again, you have too look at it fully closed, the little seal running around the glass should sit flush with the roof surface (meaning the rest of the glass might be raised a bit above the roof surface. (Again, that is the spec for other sunroofs I've owned, take it with a grain of salt if you find a FSM or something that says different).

It can't hurt to clean the tracts and lube them as well, that is what I used to do on my sunroofs on other chrysler vehicles.

Last edited by Mongo; 09-09-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Points: 4,939, Level: 44 Points: 4,939, Level: 44 Points: 4,939, Level: 44
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Own a Commander?: No
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
I just looked at mine, and I can't find any drain holes
in the rear. Looks like there's a gutter that funnels the
water to the front two holes??? Do you have to take
the roof off to get to the rear holes?

On a side note I dump a half a bottle of pure bleach down
the holes twice a year let it sit for a few minutes, then flush
them out with water. (about a gallon) It seems to keep them
free and clear.

2006 XK, 4.7, QT2, Limited, Loaded, Stock, the family truckster. (Sold)

1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, 3" OME lift, 31" Destination M/T's, Quick discos, SYE hack and tap. (sold)

2014 MK (Patriot) Stock, 4wd Freedom Drive 1, 2.4L, 6-Speed auto, the gas getter. (Sold)

2018 - Latitude Plus - 2.4 - AD1 - 8.4A Nav 3C

2019 - Trailhawk - V6 - 8.4 Nav 4C - Cold Package -
Lifetime Maxcare on Both!

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

Last edited by XJ99; 09-09-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Points: 16,244, Level: 81 Points: 16,244, Level: 81 Points: 16,244, Level: 81
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Where do the rear drain tubes run and drain?
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I would assume the rear drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame like the fronts do.

I ran the re-calibration, but don't expect a difference as it looked fine before. Like the above poster, I don't see any rear drains, unless they are at the back of the track system, in which case I don't see how I could snake them.

The water seems to be running along the bottom side of the glass on the felt pad in the center of the glass and then dripping directly onto my center console, as if the gutters really don't play a role in my leak at all. That spot happens to be the butt connection of the glass weatherstrip, but it really seems like there should be a piece of weatherstrip on the back in that channel. With the roof closed, I can put my hand in there and feel the back gutter and the glass where it meets the body.

This is my third vehicle with a sunroof, but the first leaking one, and I don't really see how a clogged rear drain would actually prevent water drippage the way mine seems to be leaking.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
check out the youtube video's on how to fix the drain tubes so they don't clog again.

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Points: 4,939, Level: 44 Points: 4,939, Level: 44 Points: 4,939, Level: 44
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Own a Commander?: No
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
I would assume the rear drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame like the fronts do.

I ran the re-calibration, but don't expect a difference as it looked fine before. Like the above poster, I don't see any rear drains, unless they are at the back of the track system, in which case I don't see how I could snake them.

The water seems to be running along the bottom side of the glass on the felt pad in the center of the glass and then dripping directly onto my center console, as if the gutters really don't play a role in my leak at all. That spot happens to be the butt connection of the glass weatherstrip, but it really seems like there should be a piece of weatherstrip on the back in that channel. With the roof closed, I can put my hand in there and feel the back gutter and the glass where it meets the body.

This is my third vehicle with a sunroof, but the first leaking one, and I don't really see how a clogged rear drain would actually prevent water drippage the way mine seems to be leaking.

I don't see any other weatherstrip on mine either.
It feels like that is a gutter, and I took an LED light
looking for rear drain holes and came up with squat.

Have you tried pouring water down the front tubes?
Mine drains almost as fast as I can pour it out of a
large bottle.

2006 XK, 4.7, QT2, Limited, Loaded, Stock, the family truckster. (Sold)

1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, 3" OME lift, 31" Destination M/T's, Quick discos, SYE hack and tap. (sold)

2014 MK (Patriot) Stock, 4wd Freedom Drive 1, 2.4L, 6-Speed auto, the gas getter. (Sold)

2018 - Latitude Plus - 2.4 - AD1 - 8.4A Nav 3C

2019 - Trailhawk - V6 - 8.4 Nav 4C - Cold Package -
Lifetime Maxcare on Both!

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in