Considering a Commander but questions - worry - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
KK1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Considering a Commander but questions - worry

Hi everyone, before I get started here I would like to let you know that I have lots of questions and concerns about buying a "Chrysler" or "Jeep" branded product. I don't mean to upset anyone here in this forum at all period but I must say whether most are in denial for their love of their Jeep or Chrysler product we all know how the majority of the time Chrysler and Jeep in itself is junk. Again I don't mean to get anyone upset at all and I don't want anyone thinking I am shooting their brand or vehicle down but it's true. The new Grand Cherokee and Cherokee alone are getting lots of horrible reviews from owners and numerous customers coming in with tranny issues and other issues left and right. I know some people here may say that you only see people write reviews or give opinions when things have gone wrong but it's not always the case. Honestly it sounds like the same old Chrysler and Jeep when you really start to look at things.

For example my friend owns a new Cherokee and has already had it in the shop 4 times for numerous tranny issues - grinding and what not. Along with a couple more electrical problems. Of course he gets the same reaction most of the time like good old Chrysler and Jeep saying nothing is wrong or they can't find nothing wrong when apparently there is issues you can't deny. He owns currently the Trailhawk edition of the Cherokee. This was his first "newer" Jeep since the mid 90's and he is already regretting his purchase already. My friend is a Jeep fan but is currently in courts pushing through for a lemon law case on his new Cherokee and apparently the lawyer stated "Jeeps" and "Chryslers" were the most seen cases for lemon laws. My friend plans to buy something else and more than likely something domestic because he likes to stimulate the economy and support American business. Although he will be the first to tell you Toyota and others are far superior in design, reliability, comfort and real off road - not talking about rock crawling with a Wrangler here. It's truth as Jeep and Chrysler have the cheapest interiors and hideous exterior's besides the Commander in my opinion.

It's not hard to realize that the new Cherokee and Grand Cherokee in no way are what they once use to be and they are not longer suitable for real off road - it's sad. Some may disagree here but honestly its what it is. Manufactures are now building toward the general public who want creature comfort and would sacrifice true off road ability for it. Another reason the Commander would be better as it's got a few off road abilities better. I know some may say watch this video or read this about the new Cherokee or Grand Cherokee but I'm sorry it's nothing awesome or great.

I like the Commander and have been considering one off and on for some time now. I have test drove a couple and liked what I seen and felt. Of course the interior could have used a little better interior plastics and leather but it is what it is. I enjoyed the dash layout and it felt true outdoors ready for some nice expeditions - sounds amazing. The third row is basically useless in the Commander and would have liked to have seen a 3rd row similar to the Land Cruiser offers. If I decided to buy I would have to remove the 3rd row and build storage or leave it open. I disliked the V6 as in no way should it have been an option for the Commander. I feel the 4.7 V8 works nicely with the Commander - they compliment each other very well. The 5.7 HEMI is a really nice sounding and felt behind the wheel engine - the only thing I dislike is I feel a HEMI should be used is muscle cars and not suv's and truck's, lol. Then again it's just I associate a HEMI with a car. Just like the SRT8 Jeeps - this is a joke. In no way do I feel an SUV should be built for speed or anything of that nature. This is just plain stupid and in my opinion Jeep and Chrysler's way of getting sales. Again do not hate on me for some of this, it's all my opinion alone and I'm not meaning to upset anyone in any way whatsoever. I also enjoyed the rear sky lights in the Commander but would have liked to have seen actually real big sky lights like on the Land Rover LR3. Honestly there is no denying that this is what Jeep and Chrysler were after when building the Commander - they tried to pull off a LR3 and honestly failed in a lot of ways. I like the LR3 and even as unreliable as the Land Rover brand is it is very apparent that by talking to owners of both vehicles and looking at the owner/consumer reviews that the LR3 is far more reliable than the Commander. It's just a matter of up keep but if you are handy with a wrench and have tools than most of the time you will be ok.

So anyways I am very worried about taking the plunge and buying a Commander. It is a Jeep and Chrysler product which I dispise both because of their reliability and how they treat their customers but I have thought many of times about giving the Commander a chance. It's just how notorious Jeep and Chrysler are for breaking down and having issues. I could buy an LR3 which would out wheel the Commander in almost everyway off road - admit it or not. The prices for the LR3 are super low now and honestly they are probably one of the most reliable built Land Rovers to date. Jeep has copied styling from the LR3 for the Commander and they even copied styling from the Range Rover for the Grand Cherokee - deny this or not it's true. Not much originality here at all except if you count that 7 slot grill in the front, lol.

I currently own a 1995 Land Cruiser (which is my true work horse that I will never sale), 2008 Subaru Forester (which I will not sale and very dependable) Honestly it will go almost all areas the Commander can go and I know it many ways it will outwheel those new Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's.

Does anyone have any helpful tips? Advice? Warnings? Do you live in denial like a lot of Chrysler owners or Jeep owners about your reliability? If I did buy I would totally remove anything Jeep on the vehicle. I'm proud to be an American but not proud of this American brand. I love the styling look of the Commander but that's about it. Like I said the interior is cheap but has a nice design and I like the exterior a lot itself. The last "real" Jeeps period were built in the mid 90's and ever since then has gone downward. I believe the Commander had some things going for it but was one of the only ones. I don't understand vehicles like the Compass, Patriot and Liberty those are horrible and Jeep outta be ashamed to have those released with Jeep on the hood. I'm sorry but it's true. Help here. Put aside your true love for just it being a Jeep and it being American branded and be honest here. If you want to send me a PM to tell me how you really feel without anyone knowing than please do so. I just need some truth, frustration and more. Besides what I own now in the past I have owned Land Rover's, other Toyota models, Honda's, Nissan's, Infiniti's and Ford's. Honestly Ford with it's trucks is about the last real good built American branded vehicle anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
That's very long winded.

If you like the Commander, buy one.

If not then don't.

There are areas that can be addressed where reliability is concerned.

Many people remove the third row seats and install additional storage. I sat in mine yesterday to compare to the inlaws 2014 Honda Pilot. Head room is better in the Commander, and I hit my knees on the seats in the Pilot. The Pilot obviously has 3 seats in that row, but there is no way your putting 3 adult males back there. (I am 5'10 200LBs) Obviously the floor is very high in the commander third row, so your sitting cross legged or your knees are @ chest level. My kids LOVE the third row in my Commander. Third row seating is always an issue IMHO in all midsize SUV's.

The HEMI is the way to go in these vehicles. My v6 isn't terrible with a Hypertech Tune however. A proper gear ratio would help significantly, and its in my future.

Issues that I am aware of:

The Sunroof drain has a tendency to leak in these vehicles

N23 update causes 4Low to not work.

There is a yellow wire running to the starter that can corrode @ the connection and cause starting issues. Easy fix.

Oil Catch can is a common mod for the v8s

My darn keyless entry is acting up.

Maybe this helps you?

Commanders with QD2 and decent tires are very capable. More so with a lift.

Tons of aftermarket support for JEEPS and the Commander share a lot of parts with the Grand Cherokees (WK's)

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 09-12-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
KK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
That's very long winded.

If you like the Commander, buy one.

If not then don't.

There are areas that can be addressed where reliability is concerned.

Many people remove the third row seats and install additional storage. I sat in mine yesterday to compare to the inlaws 2014 Honda Pilot. Head room is better in the Commander, and I hit my knees on the seats in the Pilot. The Pilot obviously has 3 seats in that row, but there is no way your putting 3 adult males back there. (I am 5'10 200LBs) Obviously the floor is very high in the commander third row, so your sitting cross legged or your knees are @ chest level. My kids LOVE the third row in my Commander.

The HEMI is the way to go in these vehicles. My v6 isn't terrible with a Hypertech Tune however. A proper gear ratio would help significantly, and its in my future.

Issues that I am aware of:

The Sunroof drain has a tendency to leak in these vehicles

N23 update causes 4Low to not work.

There is a yellow wire running to the starter that can corrode @ the connection and cause starting issues. Easy fix.

Oil Catch can is a common mod for the v8s

My darn keyless entry is acting up.

Maybe this helps you?
Thank you for the information you provided

I guess what I worry about is long term reliability. For example my Land Cruiser has 283,000 miles on it and still going strong - no issues and this thing is rock solid built - bulletproof you could say. With that Jeep is not known for long term dependability. Yes, of course you have some of your early 90's Jeeps that you hear people say they have 175,000 or 220,000 miles and still running BUT this is few and far in-between. Honestly from what I have gathered it has taken a lot of money to keep these Jeeps running this whether or not they would admit this. With my Toyota it's been the typical oil, filter, coolant flush, spark plugs, transmission fluid changed and what not. I did replace my radiator once, my water pump once, valve cover gaskets once but these were just preventative maintenance. I never once had some of the most ridiculous issues like Jeeps and Chryslers have. My Subaru has been amazing as well with no issues but again this is not something you see with Jeeps and Chryslers. Were talking about good people who take care of their Jeeps and even do preventive maintenance and still you see loads of issues left and right. I don't want that.

Do you kind of get where I'm going with that?

I want people to see the Commander I would buy and after I beefed it up they would say man that's amazing looking expedition off road rig you have, love it. Because honestly I'm embarrassed to be seen in a Jeep, I really am seriously embarrassed too. Jeep is not what it once was and the Wrangler is barely at all hanging on by it's gears from becoming nothing. The Wrangler is iconic and I don't want this because now that the Commander is gone I'm dead with Jeep and they have nothing I would want now. All they have is a bunch of flashy Chrysler/Fiat looking plastic pimp wanna be rides. I want true true true outdoor rigs from Jeep, I don't want whatever sales.

Can this Commander be trustworthy and have really good longevity like my Land Cruiser has been? I'm keeping my Land Cruiser and Subaru both because I can't go without but want something on the side that's price has hit low that wont cost me a lot but something good for the job. Can I look at the Commander down the road like I have with my Land Cruiser? I'm not saying every Land Cruiser has been trouble free on the road but I can say it's not something your known to worry about because they are known to have more reliable Land Cruiser's on the road than not so reliable Land Cruisers. See with Jeep or any model by Jeep it's the other way around. You have more unreliable Jeeps on the road vs. reliable Jeeps on the road or should I say almost Jeeps entire line of fleet is unreliable.

Help

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

KK1 the commander I believe is dependable as long as you keep up with maitnance, there is a thread here about how many miles people have in there commander, you should check it out there are alot of members that have way over the 100k on them. I only have 80k on mine but have been pretty much trouble free. knock on wood...

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
KK1

Quote:

That first Commander does not look healthy, lol. It looks very wrong and like as if though Jeep and Chrysler didn't think of how it would look if ever lifted over 3 inches. lol. Fridge on wheels, it looks really stupid honestly. Some vehicles are meant to be lifted while others are not.

The second Commander looks pretty good, although I would have liked to have seen the grab handles on the back end but it looks good overall.

The Grand Cherokee well I like the setup but don't care for them at all.

Thanks for the pics
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
KK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fco27 View Post
KK1 the commander I believe is dependable as long as you keep up with maitnance, there is a thread here about how many miles people have in there commander, you should check it out there are alot of members that have way over the 100k on them. I only have 80k on mine but have been pretty much trouble free. knock on wood...
I'll have to check this out and see.

Has anyone removed the Jeep logos and badges from their Jeeps or known anyone too? I'd like to know if your left with holes or are they glue or taped on. I don't want Jeep/Chrysler on my Commander if I buy one, no way. I would do so many mods it would be questioned what it is and not that it's any Jeep/Chrysler in any way. Maybe put Commander across the hood like Land Rover Range Rover does and also on the backend.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:03 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK1 View Post
I'll have to check this out and see.

Has anyone removed the Jeep logos and badges from their Jeeps or known anyone too? I'd like to know if your left with holes or are they glue or taped on. I don't want Jeep/Chrysler on my Commander if I buy one, no way. I would do so many mods it would be questioned what it is and not that it's any Jeep/Chrysler in any way. Maybe put Commander across the hood like Land Rover Range Rover does and also on the backend.
I took mine off the hood the day I brought it home. No holes.

Checked the forums real quick regarding debadging

Quote:
There are no holes but on the rear liftgate above license plate there is something when you remove "JEEP" that looks like the end of two screws or bolts threaded in from opposite side. They are flush and symetrical so nobody notices.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 09-12-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
KK1

Quote:
I took mine off the hood the day I brought it home. No holes.

Checked the forums real quick regarding debadging
So did you feel the same as I do? Or did you just like the clean look without the badges?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK1 View Post
So did you feel the same as I do? Or did you just like the clean look without the badges?
It was more for the clean look. I like jeeps, although I'm not a fan of the newer Wk2's. What drew me to the commander was the more classic styling.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Dont buy a Commander, you'll be sorry you did. They require a good amount of upkeep. Considering you already hate Jeep/Chrysler, taking the badges off isn't going to make the issues go away.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in