BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO Ride Quality Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO Ride Quality Question

Hey All - Hope you are having a great holiday!

I need some advice - Please

I need to replace the sorry Goodyear Fortera's that Jeep mated with this great machine! Why they would put such a lousy tire on the XK is just beyond me

After researching this forum and the internet I am pretty set on purchasing BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 245/70 - 17 tires. - which from everything I read on this forum will work just fine without lifting the XK.

I went to my local tire shop today - (which is where I always purchase my tires) and inquired about the BFG AT T/A KO and they were a bit perplexed as to why I would want to put such a tire on this Jeep. I expalined that it IS Trail Rated AND I do go off road trail riding a good bit. I also explained that I like the look of the BFG tires.

The reason they are questioning my decision is because ,they claim, this tire (BGF A/T T/A KO 245/70-17) is a 10 ply tire and will provide an extreemly rough ride.

My Question 1- Does anyone know the specs for this tire - meaning is it 10 ply or 4 ply?

My Question 2 - For those who are running this tire - what is the ride quality? I understand that there will be a bit more road noise but also (from what I read) is not very bad.

I appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Points: 12,627, Level: 73 Points: 12,627, Level: 73 Points: 12,627, Level: 73
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 104000
I don't know about the 10 or 4 ply question, maybe check BFG's site?
I think the ride quality is GREAT, definitely firmer, but it just makes the whole truck feel more solid and less "stationwagon-ey" . As for the noise, there is not a tremendous amount more noise than the stock forteras, and that is mostly at lower speeds.... parking lots, city streets, etc.
They have really good all-around off road traction, as well.
I guess it sounds like I would recommend them
-Hemi
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Load range C= 6 ply

Load range D= 8 Ply

Load range E= 10 ply

Most BFG AT KOs are LT rated, so they will ride rougher than a P rated tire, which is a 4-ply passenger car tire, since they're usually for light trucks. Most people who run ATs on an SUV will go for a C range tire for a good balance of ride and durability. You just have to run them at higher pressure to keep the ride smooth and the tire wear good.

I prefer the GY Silent Armors but that's just personal preference since I don't seriously off-road my XK. The ATs are also a decent all-around tire, so it all comes down to personal preference.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Better find another dealer that knows about tires. BFG AT KO'S are THREE PLY, I ought to know I have a set of 33x10.50 that I use for street and light offroading on my TJ. Outstanding tire, quiet, works well in snow and rain etc etc. It is a LT tire so less likely to puncture. The only drawback is the squarish edge of the tire compared to rounded on PT tires. Thus there is a POSSABILITY it will rub on full turns of the size is right close to maximum.
If you get them let us know how they fit and all as thats the tire I was planning to upgrade too. john
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Better find another dealer that knows about tires. BFG AT KO'S are THREE PLY, I ought to know I have a set of 33x10.50 that I use for street and light offroading on my TJ. Outstanding tire, quiet, works well in snow and rain etc etc. It is a LT tire so less likely to puncture. The only drawback is the squarish edge of the tire compared to rounded on PT tires. Thus there is a POSSABILITY it will rub on full turns of the size is right close to maximum.
If you get them let us know how they fit and all as thats the tire I was planning to upgrade too. john
The tires you have are different than the tires in question...

The size in question is a 10 ply (E) tire. I researched this 2 months ago and my local tire guy also confirmed this. It will be a much rougher ride, but the Commander is fairly heavy, depending on configuration.

I'd like to hear someone with this tire comment on the ride quality.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

OK Guys - here is the delima... I just got off the phone with BFG - they do not make a A/T T/A KO in 245/70-17!

Since I am not ready to put a lift on the XK just yet.. it seems I need to stick with a tire no larger than the 245/70-17 - right??

SO... here are the choices I seem to have narrowed down to:

- Pirelli Scorpion ATR
- Very good reviews overall -

- Bridgestone Dueler Revo
- Reviews seem very good - except for the short life.

- Michelin LTX A/T2
- Always been a Michelin fan and the reviews are OK but I would expect better ratings for a Michelin tire.

Anyone have experiace with any of the above or other tires that you would recomend?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCommander
Anyone have experiace with any of the above or other tires that you would recomend?
Goodyear WRANGLER SilentArmor.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I've heard a lot of good things about the Wrangler SilentArmor and I plan on getting those mid next year also.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

CrzCajun - how do you like the Rusty's 2" lift? I am wanting to lift later this year - probably late summer. Any issues?

Thanks for the feedback!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
Goodyear WRANGLER SilentArmor.
Not a huge fan of Goodyear but will certianly consider. I have read - mainly in this forum - good reviews on the Wrangler SA.

Do any of the tire manufacturers make a tire that last more than 50K miles anymore ? I am use to getting 80+K on a set of Michelins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in