Thinking of buying a Commander - Need help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,436, Level: 52 Points: 6,436, Level: 52 Points: 6,436, Level: 52
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thinking of buying a Commander - Need help

I currently own a 2007 WK 4x4 Limited with 3.0L CRD. The diesel Grand Cherokee crapped out on me a few weeks ago and since I've put a bit of time/money into it (including full 4xGuard all-around, Old Man Emu suspension about two weeks before the Jeep crapped out etc), I'm thinking of going to an XK since I can transfer most of what I have onto the WK and have more room for the family than we ever had in the WK.

With that said, I really have no idea what to look for when shopping for an XK. Is there a year that's better for consideration than another? Are there specific issues with the XK I should be aware of? How reliable is the vehicle overall (3.8 V6 versus the 5.7 HEMI)? What price should I expect to pay for a stock XK 4x4 Limited with 5.7 HEMI in the later years (2008-2010)?

Any guidance y'all can provide for me is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I've failed to think of specifics so if there's something you need to know from me specifically as it pertains to this inquiry, post up and let me know. I will note the vehicle will be used for family four-wheeling adventures once I've updated the suspension with the OME suspension I recently placed onto the WK, and will use the vehicle to get out to areas to go hiking/camping/mountain biking/etc both solo and with the family.

Thanks for any guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Armor, lift, and a family? Make sure to get the v8. My 3.7l hypertech tuned xk does not react well to being loaded down. With just the wife and kids and no gear its fine however.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I'm not even going to bother with the V6. I've found a 2007 XK with Quadra-Drive II and only 49k miles. I'm going to go check it out and see if it's worth considering.

Any additional input from anyone is definitely appreciated. Thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFreek1 View Post
Yep, I'm not even going to bother with the V6. I've found a 2007 XK with Quadra-Drive II and only 49k miles. I'm going to go check it out and see if it's worth considering.

Any additional input from anyone is definitely appreciated. Thanks!
That sounds like it could be a winner. You want to find our if possible if the recall was performed but you can test that by putting into 4 lo from neutral.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Definitely at least a 4.7L v8. Like 49er said, check that 4wd low works by engaging it in neutral. There was a recall performed on lots of XKs that unfortunately also disabled 4wd low. There is now a fix for that but there are still lots of headaches related to it. I would also personally stay away from one with a sunroof. I purchased my second XK and this time got it with a sunroof and it's been causing me grief. It is common that these things leak and it's hard to pinpoint the problem as it could be numerous things. I'm still trying to find the leak in mine.

Last edited by LuvMyCommander; 10-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I'll keep you posted as I get closer to identifying a possible option. The one I noted above unfortunately sold right after I inquired about it. Argh!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

If you're going to do real off roading, the Quadra-Drive II is big boon, that is the one to get.

The clutches in the ELSD's will make noise if the axles are overdue for a fluid change or the fluid was changed and NOT enough of the friction modifier was added to the axle fluid. So if you have noisey (chirping) axles, insist they change the axle fluid w/ the right friction modifier before buying, so you know its just fluid and NOT a serious/expensive problem that requires fixing.

The V6 makes as much power of many V8's of only a decade ago, BUT the Commander is very heavy. Because of the weight and aerodynamics mileage is poor, and the engine management does well enough that there is really not much difference in mileage between the engines. So depends on your intended use. But if you're going to hual, or do serious off road, then you want the power of the V8 to lug the heavy loads.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
If you're going to do real off roading, the Quadra-Drive II is big boon, that is the one to get.

The clutches in the ELSD's will make noise if the axles are overdue for a fluid change or the fluid was changed and NOT enough of the friction modifier was added to the axle fluid. So if you have noisey (chirping) axles, insist they change the axle fluid w/ the right friction modifier before buying, so you know its just fluid and NOT a serious/expensive problem that requires fixing.

The V6 makes as much power of many V8's of only a decade ago, BUT the Commander is very heavy. Because of the weight and aerodynamics mileage is poor, and the engine management does well enough that there is really not much difference in mileage between the engines. So depends on your intended use. But if you're going to hual, or do serious off road, then you want the power of the V8 to lug the heavy loads.
I average 18+ MPG mixed with my 3.7L with a tune, fresh plugs, full synthetic oil, stock height, stock intake/exhaust, front air dam delete (should negatively effect highway) and old Forteras. It's not too terrible, way better than my truck!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

In town, with heavy traffic and my heavy foot, I can get as low as 13mpg with the 3.7L, in town less heavy traffic and being a little more reserved, 15-16mpg, on the highway I can get 18-19mpg. I have traveled a road with traffic such that I was able/ and was limited to, setting the cruise to 50mph for 45 minutes. I got 22mpg during that run. So I'm guessing the aerodynamics of the Commander make that sweet spot for best mileage so much lower than most vehicles that are closer to 55-65mph.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
...I'm guessing the aerodynamics of the Commander make that sweet spot for best mileage so much lower than most vehicles that are closer to 55-65mph.

All the Jeeps I've had seem to have a fuel economy sweet spot around 62-65 mph. I wouldn't doubt the Commander is the same though I've not driven mine enough to say.

Personally, I opted for the Hemi. I always want more power no matter what engine I have, so best for me to start with the highest power, despite any fuel economy concerns which don't bother me much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
camping , hemi , hiking , outdoorx4 , overland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in