commander vs. patriot - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

commander vs. patriot

Was at the dealership, checking out my future Commander, and thought it was funny how similar the Commander and Patriot are. It's like the Patriot is just a mini-Commander. Ha.

Look at the body lines, the shape of the grille, the bumper/lights locations, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciron4x4
Was at the dealership, checking out my future Commander, and thought it was funny how similar the Commander and Patriot are. It's like the Patriot is just a mini-Commander. Ha.

Look at the body lines, the shape of the grille, the bumper/lights locations, etc.
I think it's more like ... in this order.. Compass --> Patriot --> Liberty --> Commander.... as its form of mutation... Indeed, the ride comfort is significantly different, after you get pass the Patriot (not sure of the new Liberty's ride/comfort).
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

have you seen the new liberty. they are just a mini commander.

i can't wait to see what they do with the grand cherokee. i'm willing to bet they drop the commander name and build the new GC similar to the commander. 3 rows of seats, hemi, 4.7, 3.7 or 3.0 CRD, and boxy like the commander. something to compete with the range rover and land cruiser.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I saw a Liberty yesterday and that was my exact thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Send a message via AIM to Command This.
The Patriot does look similar, The Liberty does as well. Did they have one there? It is interesting to look at all three of them next to eachother because they all share the family Jeep design cues. The Patriot os more of a "soft roader" than the commander, more on the side of the compass but still by far the most capable in its class.
I have been looking at the new liberty a lot lately and have been pretty interested. They are almost the same size as the GC. They offer two four wheel drive programs, Select-Trac II and Command-TracII. http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/liberty/...drive_systems/ They seem like very capable systems. The down side is they only offer one engine choice, the 3.7L when its uglier cousin the Nitro gets the 4.0L. However, I have been looking at alot of 2008 Liberty forums and there is talk of giving it the CRD or something similar in the future. This vehicle is the origional Jeep Cherokee revived and will only get better. Everywhere but the US this vehicle is named Cherokee. As for the GC the rumors among DC are that the GC may have a growth spirt and be offered with a 3rd row of seats after the commander is axed. Many of these are just rumors but it is something interesting to think and talk about ..

Last edited by Command This.; 01-08-2008 at 05:32 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

They had some Libertys at the lot, but none that I could line-up next to with the Patriot. I'll check next time. Ha.

With all the talk about a "redesigned Grand" for 2009, and the possibility of dropping the Commander from the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Grand's nameplate on a Commander for next year. The "next Grand" is supposed to have 7 passenger seating, so all this kinda leads me to believe that that may be the deal. I'm looking to purchase my Commander sometime in March, but if they have news that the Grand badge will be on the "Commander" for next year, I may just have to hold out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciron4x4
They had some Libertys at the lot, but none that I could line-up next to with the Patriot. I'll check next time. Ha.

With all the talk about a "redesigned Grand" for 2009, and the possibility of dropping the Commander from the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Grand's nameplate on a Commander for next year. The "next Grand" is supposed to have 7 passenger seating, so all this kinda leads me to believe that that may be the deal. I'm looking to purchase my Commander sometime in March, but if they have news that the Grand badge will be on the "Commander" for next year, I may just have to hold out.
I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement wears neither the Grand Cherokee or the Commander badge. It could wear the Trailhawk name, Wagoneer name (with Grand Wagoneer being the 7 passenger trim level) or something completely different.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 1233456
2001 was the last time we went new car shopping. I really wanted a Liberty, but when She sat in it, she hated the dramatically sloped windshield. We ended up with a Ford Escape instead.

She sat in the new Liberty and said, "I wish they had this the first time".

Me too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...hlight=patriot

I had been impressed with the patriot. I havent gotten it out and went really offroading, but i have climbed up a snowy hilly that it walked right up after locking it in offroad mode.....i cant speak for the regular patriots, but the one we just got has the Trail rated badge and it very capable when you lock it in the offroad mode. Like i said i havent had it out in a field, but i think it can hold its ground.

I hope that when the Commander does leave the lineup, the replace it with a 7 passenger GC...its the main reason i trade my GC in and got my commander.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

If Jeep keeps the current designes you will be able to go to the dealership and order small, medium, large or extra large

Sure do hope Jeep keeps the box style and size of the Commander - no matter what they call it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in