On market for new vehicle - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

On market for new vehicle

How do you feel about the Commander against say a Land Cruiser? As everyone knows in the world Jeep is not so reliable and a Land Cruiser would be. Just imagine if the Jeep were as reliable as a Land Cruiser? Winner but it's not. So how do you feel as far as reliability compared to a Land Cruiser? Please do not feed me any wishful thinking because you own one. I literally need some talk here, I don't have time for any Jeep fanboy crap or those living in denial saying Jeep is the best. It's not but it's affordable is what it is. Do you see the Commander getting 300,000 miles or more? Do you see lots of mechanical issues down the road? As we all know or have heard electronics are trash on Jeeps. True hard facts and future forecast. Again no Jeep fanboy BS or Jeep fanboy living in denial saying their Jeep is better or as good as a Toyota or Nissan Patrol.

One down the road for sale for $14,500. It's a Limited with the Himi and loaded. I'd like to buy American and keep things rolling in the hills here. Jeep people like to say you can't just get Toyota parts at the parts store or you gotta go to the dealer but this is not the case anymore. They are about even now and things are getting somewhere. I love the retro look but don't want something bad here folks. I want something that will last over 300,000 and will last longer if I do the right upkeep.

New Cherokees are getting horrible reviews I know for a fact and so are the new Grand Cherokee's. The 2015 Wrangler is being built in a different factory and no longer in Toledo, OH like all other years. Can't believe Jeep yanked the solid axle out of the Grand Cherokee, just realized this the other day. The 4Runner and Xterra still have a solid axle. Some say it's for a smoother ride for those who don't use them for what there made for but not true. They should be true truck form, plain and simple. Using a unibody and next independent suspension front and rear, what the heck are they doing in the Jeep world? Jeep would rather "Sale Out" than be a true performer. And HEMI is redicolous in so many ways. I can understand more HP and torque but for speed? C'mon now.

Last edited by ExpedRun; 10-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Land Cruiser's, although I have NOT researched the latest versions, 10 years ago they were NOT reliable at all. True Toyota has a well earned reputation for reliability, BUT, that doesn't mean every model they sell is equally reliable and the Land Cruiser of a few years ago were NOT. Perhaps that has changed, and newer Land Cruisers have proven to be more reliable.

The new Cherokee, I've heard nothing but good things about it, although the old die-hard fanatics puke about it. It is built on a Fiat Platform, and without a doubt is less capable off road than the original 80's XJ Cherokee. But still, the trailhawk version looks reasonably capable off road. Unreliable? Only thing I've heard is typical 1st MY stuff, new firmware updates, one or two teething problems fixed by the dealer with updates. Its too early to tell if they will be a mony pit of needing repair after repair.

No, there were rumors that they would move the assembly of the next generation Wrangler to a different plant. That was because it will have an aluminum body (also a rumor), but they have already broken ground on additions to the plant in Ohio, that is speculated will be new "uncontiminated and clean" rooms for the aluminum body production, moved into the remaining plant for the rest of assembly.

Government Regulation and CAFE requirements force newer models to be make design compromises, the fact is the Wrangler kept growing bigger every next generation to meet all the regulations and keep the dual live axle and off road equipment, while dragging down the whole CAFE. And the Pick-Up market is too valuable to Chrysler to sacrifice it just to keep Jeeps, that drives Jeeps to make design comprimises, like Idependent Suspensions to meet CAFE, etc.

Not saying a few of the unpopular decisions were NOT also trying to advantage of consumer desires and trading off the Jeep name as well to get more sales, instead of trying to make the best off-road vehicles solely either.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Well I am just an old boy from the hills of Southern California but my first response is that you might just expect a reaction or two from a site that is for Jeep Commander owners and "Jeep Fanboys".

I suggest that you might do best with a Land Cruiser, heck why not just go ahead and get a Range Rover. I also suggest that you get a brand new one so that you can experience the new car depreciation at it's finest.

However, I do not think that you can get a Himi or even a Hemi from either of them.

I really do not have anything bad to say about any other brand of off road vehicle other than that I have pulled a few out of the mud or sand.

Good Luck in your search for your perfect land cruiser or range rover.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Land Cruiser's, although I have NOT researched the latest versions, 10 years ago they were NOT reliable at all. True Toyota has a well earned reputation for reliability, BUT, that doesn't mean every model they sell is equally reliable and the Land Cruiser of a few years ago were NOT. Perhaps that has changed, and newer Land Cruisers have proven to be more reliable.

The new Cherokee, I've heard nothing but good things about it, although the old die-hard fanatics puke about it. It is built on a Fiat Platform, and without a doubt is less capable off road than the original 80's XJ Cherokee. But still, the trailhawk version looks reasonably capable off road. Unreliable? Only thing I've heard is typical 1st MY stuff, new firmware updates, one or two teething problems fixed by the dealer with updates. Its too early to tell if they will be a mony pit of needing repair after repair.

No, there were rumors that they would move the assembly of the next generation Wrangler to a different plant. That was because it will have an aluminum body (also a rumor), but they have already broken ground on additions to the plant in Ohio, that is speculated will be new "uncontiminated and clean" rooms for the aluminum body production, moved into the remaining plant for the rest of assembly.

Government Regulation and CAFE requirements force newer models to be make design compromises, the fact is the Wrangler kept growing bigger every next generation to meet all the regulations and keep the dual live axle and off road equipment, while dragging down the whole CAFE. And the Pick-Up market is too valuable to Chrysler to sacrifice it just to keep Jeeps, that drives Jeeps to make design comprimises, like Idependent Suspensions to meet CAFE, etc.

Not saying a few of the unpopular decisions were NOT also trying to advantage of consumer desires and trading off the Jeep name as well to get more sales, instead of trying to make the best off-road vehicles solely either.

Thank you for your reply. Although I have never nor do I think I have heard anything ever about a Land Cruiser being unreliable. The Land Cruiser by Toyota has always been a reliable vehicle. Maybe your thinking of Land Rover because otherwisethis is the first I've ever heard.

Do you see a Commander hitting over 300,000 miles and if more miles are to come you'd be looking at the norm like head gaskets, valve covers and whatever? Or do you feel 300,000 is wishful thinking? The life of a vehicle means the world to me.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
Well I am just an old boy from the hills of Southern California but my first response is that you might just expect a reaction or two from a site that is for Jeep Commander owners and "Jeep Fanboys".

I suggest that you might do best with a Land Cruiser, heck why not just go ahead and get a Range Rover. I also suggest that you get a brand new one so that you can experience the new car depreciation at it's finest.

However, I do not think that you can get a Himi or even a Hemi from either of them.

I really do not have anything bad to say about any other brand of off road vehicle other than that I have pulled a few out of the mud or sand.

Good Luck in your search for your perfect land cruiser or range rover.

I find some of what you said uncalled for but I'm not going to whine over it. A Land Cruiser by Toyota and a Range Rover are two very different vehicles. Sure brand new they price about the same but ones reliable and the other is unreliable. You say heck go by brand new and watch it depreciate at its finest, well that is very true for a Range Rover/Land Rover will do so fast but a Land Cruiser will hold its value. You have 1997 - 2004 Land Cruisers with 220,000 to 270,000 miles fetching $14,000 to $20,000. So Land Cruiser's hold their value. Not sure if you got upset or jealous but yeah. Anyways that's the price of a pristine Commander used and some cases almost new. A Jeep suv per say and not including the Wranglers will depreciate big time.

Examples:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...67548358&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...59897986&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...75525205&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...59501542&Log=0

I'm not here to upset, I'm not here to do anything but get information about a potential buy. Don't get jealous, upset or anything about a Land Cruiser cause I mentioned one. If Jeeps were more reliable maybe you might see similar prices. I'm interested in a Commander and need information. Don't be hate. I'm just looking for honest opinions from owners and that's why I said fanboys because there are more jeep fanboys than any others. I don't want opinions from those who can't look past the pride of the jeep badge or supposed trail rated badge to give honest answers. It's hard to call out the negatives or not sound like your dissing something you own - I understand but honesty is what I'm looking for. So I'm looking and asking for those to look past their pride of Jeep and pride because they own a Jeep and give honest opinions. Thank you

Last edited by ExpedRun; 10-28-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post

Cherokee Issues:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-82476727.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/...es-082114.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm Read through

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=jeep%...issues%20&sm=3 More

Last edited by ExpedRun; 10-28-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm here just to get assurance or knowledge if it will be a good buy and not a mistake.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Troll troll troll
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I was not either upset or jealous. I was actually pulling your leg and trying to make the point that your first post on this forum was not the most positive way to enter into a discussion. Putting down the vehicle that this web site is about is similar to a ford/chevy guy entering the website of the other and saying that their vehicle is not good.

If you really want honest information you should not prejudge our members answers as Jeep Fanboy Crap or BS.

Now if you want to start over again, Welcome to the "Jeep Commander" Forum and just try to be a little more respectful of where you are.

This is almost always a very respectful place with lots of good information mostly based on facts and not necessarily opinions.

Well maybe some opinions about Hummers. LOL

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
I was not either upset or jealous. I was actually pulling your leg and trying to make the point that your first post on this forum was not the most positive way to enter into a discussion. Putting down the vehicle that this web site is about is similar to a ford/chevy guy entering the website of the other and saying that their vehicle is not good.

If you really want honest information you should not prejudge our members answers as Jeep Fanboy Crap or BS.

Now if you want to start over again, Welcome to the "Jeep Commander" Forum and just try to be a little more respectful of where you are.

This is almost always a very respectful place with lots of good information mostly based on facts and not necessarily opinions.

Well maybe some opinions about Hummers. LOL

Well I apologize for taking you serious earlier and starting over fresh sounds good. It's just I'd like to get straightforward answers and not just it's the best in world because I own one and I'm afraid to say anything negative because I don't want to come off as hating on my ride. So sorry for the fanboys and bs comment.

So starting over as I'm sure from my name you get that I'm an expedition type person, lol. And no a Ford Expedition is not an option lmao. Anyways in all seriousness is this a trusted, dependable vehicle that could last a long time? It would be sweet to have this in the future as a classic and still running. I don't want something I'm going to regret due to error and one issue after another or a vehicle that's known to have engine, transmission failure like easily. I've read electronic and computer issues can be common so I would like to know if the stalling and non start issues have been fixed. I also heard 4wd low not working after issues with stalling being resolved or something.

I loved to be a Commander owner and one have it driving around as a classic but I need to know everything. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in