Front seat belts won't insert... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Points: 908, Level: 16 Points: 908, Level: 16 Points: 908, Level: 16
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front seat belts won't insert...

2006 Commander

Can't believe this happened to both front seat belts within a week of each other. We are not able to insert either front seat belt unless the red button is pressed to unlock the mechanism in the receiver buckle. Then, after pressing the button, inserting the buckle, and releasing the button we drive away secured. BUT... the seat belt alarm/chime won't stop. Well..... it stops at highway speeds and at stop signs then it starts again.

Any ideas? Both mechanisms at the same time? electrical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I've had a problem with a rear seat belt, the plastic cover over the buckle broke and slid down out of position, it makes the buckle act much the way you've described, but pulling the plastic cover up and back into its position seems to make it work correctly again. It seems something spring loaded has to press against the plastic shell that now slide out of position. No chime, because the rear seats aren't wired for the chime.

So check the plastic shell cover over the buckle. As well, some electrical cleaner to get the gunk out of the buckle may help free it up. BTW, WD-40 is insulative and cleans gunk as well, might be the best stuff to spray into that buckle and work the belt insert in and out of repeatedly to free up the mechanism.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 908, Level: 16 Points: 908, Level: 16 Points: 908, Level: 16
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

No luck with WD 40. The "male" end will not insert into the "female" end on both front buckles. No obstructions. The only to fasten belts it to depress the red button then insert the "male" end. After that, the chime won't stop while in motion. When at a stop sign or light the chime stops then starts again when i move.

Maybe I'll look for a fuse....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I don't have the alarm problem you have, but every so often I have trouble getting the driver belt to mate. I am I interested in your solution. I sounds as if a mechanical problem is causing an additional electrical problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Points: 959, Level: 16 Points: 959, Level: 16 Points: 959, Level: 16
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

Seat belt chime

I have the same problem (have to press button to inserrt seatbelt, locks but does not stop chime) on my drivers seat. I have followed the advice to stop the chime by buckling/unbuckling 3 times but this does not work, probably because it is not identifying that it is buckled. I have found a post that suggests unplugging and jumping the under seat wiring to temporarily stop the chime, but I am concerned it might have an impact on the air bag. Has anyone any experience of how to stop the chime until I can get a new seat belt buckle (I am in Turkey, so 4 weeks shipping!)
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in