Jeep 4 x 2s - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jeep 4 x 2s

Getting my Cmdr oil changed at a dealer's in Mesa, AZ last Saturday. As always checked the new stock on hand. About half the new Libertys were 4 x 2, same with the lessor No. of Commanders. I understand the regional aspect, but it was still surprising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Well, for the majority of buyers here -- who just use them as a commuter vehicle -- 2WD makes sense to them as it doesn't snow, it rarely rains, etc.

But too me, it still doesn't make sense. The 4WD handles much better on slick roads whenever it does rain, plus if I want to go up north (less than 2 hours away) during the winter you can run into snow... and LOTS of it.

Plus if you want to explore any of AZ's backcountry you need 4WD.

I don't really off-road my Commander but have still found the 4WD useful for the snow up in Flagstaff.

I don't think I would ever buy a 2WD drive Jeep unless it was like an old mail Jeep or something.

You get down to the Phoenix area a lot?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
Well, for the majority of buyers here -- who just use them as a commuter vehicle -- 2WD makes sense to them as it doesn't snow, it rarely rains, etc.

But too me, it still doesn't make sense. The 4WD handles much better on slick roads whenever it does rain, plus if I want to go up north (less than 2 hours away) during the winter you can run into snow... and LOTS of it.

Plus if you want to explore any of AZ's backcountry you need 4WD.

I don't really off-road my Commander but have still found the 4WD useful for the snow up in Flagstaff.

I don't think I would ever buy a 2WD drive Jeep unless it was like an old mail Jeep or something.

Now now... lets give all Commanders the same love here. I have a 4x2 XK myself. The reason why we got it, b/c my wife loved the rugged look of the XK, but she's just not the off-roading type. We do get our fair share of rainfall down here in the Houston area -- BUT, the XK does well roaring through the deep floods without a problem (thanks to the HEMI). It all depends on preference and use. Yes, I agree about the 4x4, but since the wife works like less than 3 miles from home, w/ no inclines enroute OR for my work (hardly any inclines; some flooding spots). As far as hills are concerned, hardly see any for the last 1.5yrs we've had ours.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
Come here abt once a year to visit my wife's cousin in Mesa. We drove down I-5 Friday, Jan 4th from Yreka CA; blowing: rain, then snow, then rain, then dust (near Bakersfield) - real white knuckle driving but no problem at all with our Cmdr. Mileage was down, head winds with a luggage carrier on top - 12 mpg....
(I play bass trombone in several senior bands in Mesa - nearly every trailer park, excuse me, RV Resort, has a brass band.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in