Remote Start Not Working - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,918, Level: 26 Points: 1,918, Level: 26 Points: 1,918, Level: 26
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Remote Start Not Working

I have an 07 limited commander with factory remote start. I bought the jeep in the spring of this year. I tested the remote start a couple of times to make sure it worked, and it did. I had no need to use it all summer. Now it is turning winter in the mountains, and I wanted to use the remote start to get the vehicle warmed up before I go outside. I've tried several times, and it is not working. The parking lights flash, and it sounds like the doors are locking or unlocking, but it never starts. All the windows and doors are shut and locked prior to trying to start.
I've read that remote start will not work if there are any current diagnostic codes. I've checked and there are no codes. However, I had the jeep serviced a few months ago, and the next day, the check engine light was on and there was an emissions code. I called the dealership and they said it was fine. They both should go away after a few cycles. Sure enough, they did. Could this still be affecting the remote start? I've thought about disconnecting the battery to reset everything.
The only other thing I can think of is the LoJack alarm system that is installed on the jeep. This alarm was on the jeep when I bought it and was installed when first testing the remote start. However, the alarm would randomly go off in the middle of the night almost every night for no reason. The horn would sound and lights would flash for about 30 seconds. After about 2 months with no end in sight, I contacted LoJack and they were no help, so I deactivated the alarm. I wonder if this could have somehow affected the remote start.

Last edited by music_man185; 11-14-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Anyone had a similar problem?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,517, Level: 100 Points: 59,517, Level: 100 Points: 59,517, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
If the remote stopped working right after you deactivated the LoJack that should be a clue.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I don't know that the remote start stopped right after disabling the alarm. I disabled the alarm a few months before, but never tried the remote start until now. I didn't know if something done at the dealership might affect it, or the old emission code it was giving me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

I JUST started looking into this issue last night because my factory alarm started going off on its own. I have it parked in a garage so nothing really could have made it go off in there. I hit to remote button to stop it. Then I attempted to start it with the remote thinking that maybe the cold was affecting it since I don't drive it much during the week and it would not start. The lights will blink, the horn sounds, and nothing, no start.

I found some threads in other forums stating the same problems and found a TSB for 2011 Cherokees where operators experienced the exact same issues. I wondered if this was also related but I have yet to find more information for this issue on the Commander. Apparently the TSB requires a flash to fix the problem and users have said it worked for them.

I don't want this to be an issue during the winter so I'll keep doing more research and will post it here if I find anything and please do the same. Or if anyone else has heard of this problem let us know.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LuvMyCommander; 11-19-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

This is the TSB I was referring to: TSB # 08-053-11

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I came across that tsb, but my problem was with the LoJack alarm previously installed on the commander instead if the factory alarm. I'm beginning to wonder if disabling the LoJack had something to do with it. There is some kind of feature on the LoJack that will not allow the vehicle to start if the alarm has been set off. There is a fuse right behind the LoJack module underneath the steering wheel. I assume this is for the LoJack alarm and not to the commander itself. Do you guys think that if I pull the fuse, it would be just like uninstalling the LoJack alarm? And won't have any affect on anything else on the commander?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Someone today mentioned that it might be a fuse. Is there a fuse for the remote start I could check?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

ok, so just as i suspected, the lojack must have been causing the remote start not to work. i lowered the dash compartment to trace the wires from the lojack module mounted under the steering wheel. there were 2 fuses attached to the module. i pulled one of the fuses, and the light to the lojack module went out. i turned the ignition on and everything else seemed to be working fine. i tried the remote start, and it worked as well.

the only thing i'm worried about now is that pulling the fuse to the lojack will have an affect on something else on the jeep. is this possible? or should it strictly affect the lojack? i emailed lojack and are awaiting a response.

here is the 2 fuses, including the one i pulled. can someone confirm that these fuses are definitely not normally there on the commander?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in