Front End issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front End issue

The next issue to tackle with my 5.7 limited is a front end issue. whenever I turn the steering wheel and drive forward to turn it has a draggiing issue. its kinda similar to having 4 low on while turning on pavement. it used to do it only when the wheel was turned extreme right or left, but now it appears to be getting worse and will do it when turning slightly. it also sends vibrations to the steering wheel that can be felt by the driver.

We got it state inspected a month ago and they check for ball joints and it passed that without issues. anyone have ideas what this can be. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Points: 33,527, Level: 100 Points: 33,527, Level: 100 Points: 33,527, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 106,000
Garage
Possible transfer case oil? What drive is it? QT1, QT2? Sounds like "Lock Shudder" and changing the Transfer Case fluid might fix it, use NV245 (QT-II & QD-II): 1.8L (3.8 pts.)

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Have you checked for any stored fault codes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorpodcast View Post
...its kinda similar to having 4 low on while turning on pavement....
That is a good description to help other understand what the symptoms are in your vehicle, BUT, just so you know; Driving in 4 Low on pavement can screw up your drivetrain something awful, if you've been doing this you need to stop, it specifically says in the O.M. not to use it on pavement.

But, what you describe does sound like driveline binding in 4 High, when you should never get it.

If you have the Hemi you likely have QTII or QDII. Both have a xfr case with clutches that can limit slip and even lock front/rear driveshaft outputs. That is why a previous poster is suggestion fresh fluid in the xfr case. BUT, I "think" the clutches in the xfr case are disengaged most of the time, I don't think they are likely to be catching more than they should just from degraded fluid, but I could be wrong.

QDII has clutches and pump in the differentials to limit slip and lock the differentials, according to electronic inputs. I have seen posts on driveline binding like you describe on QDII Commanders, and the O.P. reported fresh axle fluid fixed the problem. You have to use the correct axle fluid and add the correct amount of mopar friction modifier to the fluid. I guess as the fluid degrades, its doesn't let the clutches slip as easily as it should when turning at very low speeds.

Remember this is if you have QDII, count the bolts on the rear axle cover, 10 bolts = QTII or QTI, 12 bolts = QDII. If you have QTII or QTI, the axles are open differentials, something would have to be seriously wrong inside the differential to bind at all, and likely your problem is else where.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Front End issue

I think I'd be looking at worn out wheel bearings. Very common on the XKs.

Does it seem to be more one side or the other or pretty much the whole front?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Although you shouldn't rule out wheel bearings yet, if it was the wheel bearings or CV joints causing this binding, I would "think" they would have to be really bad shape and you would have other symptoms, like the vehicle sounding like it was grinding rocks when driving the down the road in a straight line. I could be wrong, perhaps someone with more experience will chime and let us know.

Yes, Commanders and other large 4WD vehicles do wear out wheel bearings more often than other types of vehicles. I think you can find posts for that here. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has posted that worn out wheel bearings were causing binding in the driveline.

If the O.P. has QDII, this isn't the first post about driveline binding like it was 4LOW when the vehicle was overdue for an axle fluid change. The O.P.'s report back that fresh fluid (the correct fluid with the Mopar Friction Modifier) fixed the problem.

If the O.P. does NOT have QDII, then there are NO clutches in the differentials to cause this binding, he should be looking elsewhere.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Although you shouldn't rule out wheel bearings yet, if it was the wheel bearings or CV joints causing this binding, I would "think" they would have to be really bad shape and you would have other symptoms, like the vehicle sounding like it was grinding rocks when driving the down the road in a straight line. I could be wrong, perhaps someone with more experience will chime and let us know.

Yes, Commanders and other large 4WD vehicles do wear out wheel bearings more often than other types of vehicles. I think you can find posts for that here. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has posted that worn out wheel bearings were causing binding in the driveline.

If the O.P. has QDII, this isn't the first post about driveline binding like it was 4LOW when the vehicle was overdue for an axle fluid change. The O.P.'s report back that fresh fluid (the correct fluid with the Mopar Friction Modifier) fixed the problem.

If the O.P. does NOT have QDII, then there are NO clutches in the differentials to cause this binding, he should be looking elsewhere.

Good point. I don't think I've seen this specific symptom linked to wheel bearings.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Thanks for the info. I have thd hemi 5.7 which is QD II correct? I took it to the dealer who said the front differential bushings are worn out and it ruined the differential. is there a way to diagnose whether the differential is indeed worn out vs just needs new bushings.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 PM

QDII is the 4WD system, it could anyone of the three that came with Commanders. Like I said, the Hemi most often came with QTII or QDII, re-read my post on how to determine which is needed.

Worn out Bushing on the Front Differential? I'd like to know what bushings, the closest thing to a bushing I can think in the differential is a thrust washer. I could be wrong, but I would take it for a 2nd opinion. There has been more than one dealer that took customers that knew no better for thousands of dollars.

You need to determine if you have QDII, if it is, there should be a placard by the shifter that says Quadra Drive II. Count the number of bolts on the rear diff cover.

Has the axle fluid ever been changed on your vehicle? How many miles on your vehicle.

Like I said, you should change the axle fluid and see if that does anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in