First 1000 miles - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,355, Level: 29 Points: 2,355, Level: 29 Points: 2,355, Level: 29
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

First 1000 miles

My Jeep - Commander Limited 4x4 Hemi - just turned over the 1000 miles mark. I love the Commander and wanted to let you all know some of the items that I do have a problem with, some of which may not be obvious when you test it at the dealer, some of which may not be a problem for you at all, but my two boys (14&16) are 6'4 and enjoy the head room in the second row, but the leg room is bad [Solution: Pacifica can slide the 2nd row back! For this to happen in the Commander, they may have to forgo the middle seat and move the outer ones closer together, but it would be an option I would have paid extra for]. Although you can adjust the backrest, it only works for the outer two seats. If broad shouldered, the "stuck up" middle backrest pushes into the adjoining shoulder. If you fold it down, you cannot spread your legs in V shape around the front seat (to gain more knee room), as the flipped backrest prohibits that [Solution: make the middle backrest adjustable too, incl. the drink holder].
There is no "dome" light and it is rather dark between the front seats. [Solution: There should be a light in front of the entertainment system to shine forward (if no such system, just a light instead)].
The air-conditioning works great, but the lowest blower speed is still to fast [Solution: Manual "low" should have 25% of current throughput].
The seat memory system works badly, with the presetting difficult to set or call upon [Solution: do as in other DC products, see Chrysler Pacifica, or Mercedes series].
... the gas mileage is at its worst 11.5 m/g and at its best 20.5 m/g in my 1000 miles so far, with acceleration at ~ 7 s.
The greatest gas saving feature is the 4 cylinder cut-off, but I need to stay under 75 mph ... here where I usually want to drive 80 mph, I would wish the system would be more flexible [Solution: Change the EMS to accommodate for engine stress, not speed and add an indicator that it cuts from 8 to 4].
The steering is not well defined for zero. No discernable feedback that wheel is turned away from going straight [Solution: Dial in more feedback please].
I cannot open the glass window of the trunk door remotely, not even when using the key in the starter. There should be a push button to open the glass and it should open more slowly, otherwise, someone will get hurt one of these days. [Solution: Chose different pneumatic dampener to release more softly and install button at dash board to release it].
... the good stuff: The chromed plastic wheel covers are forged (hard), rather than the cast (soft) aluminum wheels and the chrome allows for easy cleaning of brake dust. The automated light (brights to regular and back) system works as well as the automated rain detection / wiper setting system. Low wind noise was further improved with the removal of the cross bars of the roof rack system. The view out of the front window is great and if the shade is open, the view out of the roof is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 AM
Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Re: First 1000 miles

Actually, your key-remote has a rear window open button.
Just wait for someone to be passing buy close to it and....wham!
:-)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Interesting. For me, the seat memory system works perfectly. Perhaps you aren't programming it properly? If you are Driver 1, just hit the "1" button and your settings are recalled. Now adjust the seats, mirrors, pedals, and radio presets, then hit the center SET button and "1" again and it's stored.

ONE CAVEAT: DISABLE (through the menu) EASY-EXIT BEFOREHAND. If you do not and try to do do this as the manual says by turning the key off, the seat moves back and will be saved as the memory seat position!! You can re-enable it afterwards. IIRC, this only affects the programming to the keyfob, which requires the car to be off. I set it at the dealership and forget the steps I took.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

In addition to the double-tap button on the key fob to open the rear window, there is a physical button under the Jeep emblem to open the window.

Also there are dome lights throughout the car... push the white-clear lens in on one side and the light comes on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
pac
Points: 2,253, Level: 28 Points: 2,253, Level: 28 Points: 2,253, Level: 28
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

I just wish I had a hemi That's all
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Bing/Rocket: I do not want to mess with the keyfob while the engine is running. Here is the scenario I often have. I sit in my car and see my kids or wife come ... hands full. I want to open up the rear and cannot. Must get out and help. For this, the button as Rocket mentions is no fix.
Joe: No matter how you slice it, the memory seat is the worst system I have ever had. As I have tall children in the second row seats, I cannot permit the system to have the easy entry engaged, but it was a great feature with my previous car where I had more space. The systme will not let me get into a default setting either while I drive. It is just not as good as others. What is worse, DC should get them all to work the same! My Mercedes is different than the Chrysler, or Jeep
... and Joe, regarding the dome lights, it is just to dim in the Jeep to properly read. These 4 lights are fine as secondary lights, but the main one in the center, typically called dome light, is in fact, missing. It ought to be bright and is usually not intended to be on while driving.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustus
The systme will not let me get into a default setting either while I drive.

What do you mean by that?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

If I drive and have changed the seating position, I cannot (as with my other cars) hit the memory button and get into the programmed position. It is locked and says so as a text message.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Hmm. Can you do it while stopped? I would presume so.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

You can't use the buttons while driving...manual says they are disabled.
Sounds like a wise safety feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in