Should I buy a Commander? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Should I buy a Commander?

Iíve been looking at several options to replace my 2003 Land Rover Disco HSE. Iíve owned 2 Discoveryís since new. Love them. Yes, theyíve had their share of annoying problems Ė but nothing like the staling issue or other safety hazards Iíve been reading about re: the commander. (Threads on this forum and other sources)

I was ready to get a new LR3 then the commander attracted me due to its lifetime driveline warranty, size, 4wd capability, improved mpg over the Rover, towing capacity and the fact that dealers are essentially giving them away. Iíve owned several new SUVs in my lifetime and currently own 3 jeeps (from newest to oldest = Wrangler, CJ5, and Willys Wagon) along with the Rover.

I initially thought the limited is what Iíd go forÖ but Iím not a fan of chrome (except on my Harley). So I am looking at a sport, with U upgrade option, adding the 4.7, Quadra II w/skid plate package, and DVD so the kids have something to watch on long trips. I was ready to go to a dealer in another week or two and make a deal.

Now Iím not so sure.

Iíd appreciate honest advice from you as owners. I remember the bad wrap the CJ5 got back in the late 70ís early 80ís for rolling over (eventually contributed to the demise of the CJ5). Iíve owned my 5 for over 20 years and wouldnít give it up for anything. But if someone asked me if they were roll over prone, Iíd say yes, and if that worried them Ė donít buy one.

Thanks in advance for your open/honest advice. After getting excited to purchase a Commander, I was really discouraged to hear about the staling problem. Thatís what has prompted me to submit this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I think the staling problem is few and far between. I would buy the Commander again, but I would get the HIMI and the Quadra-Drive II. I know you would love the way the commander drives.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Good thread, my sister is looking to buy a Jeep Commander also.

What are the safety problems, and stalling problems you are talking about?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

We love our Commander and our daughter just purchased her first car and it was a Commander. We both have 4.7's and love the engine. We haven't had any problems thus far and are hoping she has the same good luck.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Thier are no real safety problems. The Commander is a very safe SUV to drive. These problems he talks about are very rare.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Points: 2,082, Level: 27 Points: 2,082, Level: 27 Points: 2,082, Level: 27
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I have an 06 XK limited. The chrome has grown on me. For the price I got it for I was not too picky about color. I think the stalling problems are some OE (operator error) and some other causes, but I personally have never experienced this issue. I love the capacity of the commander for carrying people and the overall utility of the vehicle. This vehicle is just at home going out for the evening to a fine restaraunt as it is on the trail. If you are used to the quirky-ness of the LR vehicles you will be happy with the Commander. I picked my XK over the new LR3.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 38,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicjeep
I initially thought the limited is what Iíd go forÖ but Iím not a fan of chrome (except on my Harley). So I am looking at a sport, with U upgrade option, adding the 4.7, Quadra II w/skid plate package, and DVD so the kids have something to watch on long trips. I was ready to go to a dealer in another week or two and make a deal.
I think a lot of the problems you are reading about here have been worked out by now(2008 MY). Not sure about the stalling though. But like the others said the problems are relatively rare compared to the # of Commanders on the road.
I LOVE my Limited and HEMI. If you don't like the chrome there is usually someone on here that wants it and will swap with you.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Thanks for the posts so farÖ

The safety issues I reference are really related to the stalling issue. Stalling is one thing, but stalling at speed and/or in traffic presents a host of safety concerns. Couple other safety issues Iíve come across are some issues with the 3rd row seat belts (canít remember details) but Jeep has a fix for that. And read something from one owner re: a faulty airbag. That seemed like a 1 and a million issue.

Forgot to mention in my initial postÖ I rented a commander for a 500 mile trip this past summer. I was impressed with the ride. Loaded with 6 people too.

I really like this rig.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Send a message via AIM to Command This.
I say go for it. Every vehicle has its problems but as everyone else says most these issues are few and far between. I have the first model year 06 Commander and have only had minor problems that a warrantied afternoon in the shop fixed. The cost of a commander with rebate vs LR3 should be a no-brainer. I love my commander and will buy another when I drive this one into the ground.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Points: 1,471, Level: 21 Points: 1,471, Level: 21 Points: 1,471, Level: 21
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

I've just had my 07 Commander with the Hemi for little over 3wks and love it. For it toughness and safety features. My ins dropped $600 when I added it to my ins over my 04 Ram which I guess showed that the Ram wasnt as safe as I thought it was. SO if the ins also knows that these commanders are designed to go off road but also to have many safety features. As far as the 4.7 engine I wouldn't go with it. I've had one before in my 02 Ram and wasn't that good for power compared to my Hemi Ram, but as far as a good engine yes its great for that but no better gas mileage either over the HEMI engine. Im in a 08 Flexfuel Dakota with the 4.7 and it got good power but still is terrible gas mileage, sure its 50cents cheaper at the pump but doesnt last long. I would choose the HEMI over the 4.7 in a heart beat. SO get your self one and have some fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in