Battery Replacement and Idle Issues! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Talking Battery Replacement and Idle Issues!

Hello, I have a 2007 Hemi J.C. recently found myself with a dead battery. I needed to move my jeep so my wife could get her vehicle out of the garage so i had to Jump start my jeep. The next day i replaced the battery and noticed when at a complete stop my car would idle rough and sometimes stall out. I have read that the jeeps PCM can lose it's memory and needs to relearn the idle process. some vehicle like Honda require after a battery replacement that you need to hold the accelerator down at 3,000 rpm's till the radiator fan kicks on. and some require that you allow that car to idle for a few seconds before touching the gas pedal in order to relearn the idle parameters. Can someone please let me know what the procedure is for a jeep commander. I am hoping this is the problem since i have no check lights and recently drained the PCM when i replaced the battery. Thank you for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Short answer, there is no procedure for Chrysler Vehicles, that includes the Commander. The PCM will learn its adaptive settings on its own, in most cases, when the PCM dumps all its volatile memory, the engine may stall after the first start. If the engine has experienced wear or behind on preventative like spark plugs and air filters, the required tune may vary greatly from the baseline reference engine. If that is the case, it will take some time for the PCM to make adjustments and find the right correction values.

The best way to help the PCM to learn all the corrective values, is to just drive the vehicle in a variety of conditions, stop and go traffic, steady high way cruise at various speeds for a few minutes each, mild acceleration, moderate acceleration and full throttle accelerations. And it will a need a few warm ups after fully cooled down as well.

If you're still having problems after 75 miles of a variety of driving, plus a couple of warm ups, then you need to start troubleshooting, diagnosing, cause the PCM should have learned enough by then that you don't have idle roughness or stalling.

Have you inspected the air filter, and when was the last time your plugs were changed? If you're idle is rough and you stall, no codes, and you're overdue for a plug change or have a dirty air filter, that is likely your cause.

EGR's can cause idle and maybe even stalling problems, and they sometimes don't throw a code when they fail, that is something else to keep in mind.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the Reply. I changed the air filter about 5 months ago but am uncertain when the spark-plugs were replaced since i bought the car last June. It is a 2007 with about 68K on it. What is the the recommended mileage to replace spark plugs. Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Update: so just for fun i disconnected my battery for 30 mins to allow the pcm to dump it's memory. after reconnecting I continued having the low idle issues and would sometimes have to rev the engine in order to avoid another stall. I took the Jeep to a mechanic the next day and he also explained to me what i had been reading about on-line about Chrysler and other vehicles needing a certain procedure after a battery change. I picked up the car the same day and asked him what he had done. He told me he reset the idle. I have driven the car about 80 miles since that day with no problems. Any idea how the mechanic was able to do that I am assuming this was a simple task with an OBDII reader I am wondering in-case i every try to change the battery again. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
idle battery pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in