New Tires...Any Input Before I Buy??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New Tires...Any Input Before I Buy???

I am about 2-3 weeks away from buying new tires for the Commander. I want to have everything ready for when I pull the trigger on the 4" Superlift, shortly after the tires!!! I was thinking of going with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's (Size 285/70R/17). I've actually loved these tires since the Rubicon's starting coming with them so I am hoping anyone can tell me the pro's and con's if you have any experience?!?!? Or, if you want to tell me about the tires you have used in conjunction with your lift and your experiences? My only concern is road noise, which seems to be a non-issue based on reviews I have been reading online, my local tire guy's opinion and the Jeep dealer here in town. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

I cant advise as to Commander as I still have my stock tires, but for mild offroading and great water and snow tire I really like the BFG All terrain KO's. They last a very long time, I have a set for my TJ that I use for street tires and certain types of offroading that have about 40k miles on them and still in excellent condition. I was once in a heavy snow storm in Colorado and they did fine when everyone else was using chains. john
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I have experience with three sets of MT/Rs. 35" on the Rubi, and two sets of the 245/75/16s. With these tires you will need to rotate more often as they are more prone to cupping due to the design of the tread pattern. Pay close attention to air pressure as well, dont go by the manufacturers spec, but rather by how flat your contact patch is in relation to the weight of your vehicle. (you can tell by the wear/dirt on a tire if its over or under inflated). With these in mind you should be ok, if not they WILL wear unevenly and become very loud. In my experience BFGs tend to be more forgiving with air pressures etc. Overall the MT/R is a great tire, and believe it or not its not a true mud terrain. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction Radial I believe. Its more of an aggressive All-Terrain. Keep in mind that some will say all tires wear quicker with improper psi etc, but I think it may be the durometer of the rubber that makes the MT/R more prone to wear irregularities. One set of my 245/75/16s were replaced under warranty even after Goodyear verified alignment, air pressures, etc due to severe cupping (2005 Wrangler Rubicon).

-Jared

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAsh3312
I am about 2-3 weeks away from buying new tires for the Commander. I want to have everything ready for when I pull the trigger on the 4" Superlift, shortly after the tires!!! I was thinking of going with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's (Size 285/70R/17). I've actually loved these tires since the Rubicon's starting coming with them so I am hoping anyone can tell me the pro's and con's if you have any experience?!?!? Or, if you want to tell me about the tires you have used in conjunction with your lift and your experiences? My only concern is road noise, which seems to be a non-issue based on reviews I have been reading online, my local tire guy's opinion and the Jeep dealer here in town. What do you think?
IF you are looking to put bigger tire - -espicially a 285 - I am pretty shre you will need to do the lift first. That size will not fit the XK without lifting it.

You may want to use the search function and look for max tire size w/o lift.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Points: 4,102, Level: 40 Points: 4,102, Level: 40 Points: 4,102, Level: 40
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I am running Cooper Discovery S/T's. I am very happy with them, I have ran BFG AT/KO's in the past. It appears to me that the dico's may be better off road than the AT/KO's. Time will tell, and I agree, the more tread on the tire the more prone to wear problems with the wrong PSI.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Points: 6,571, Level: 53 Points: 6,571, Level: 53 Points: 6,571, Level: 53
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

I have run 2 sets of MT-R's -- 35's and 37's -- on my TJ. Went with 35 inch BFG MT KM's when 1 of the 37's was damaged on a tire maching fixing a nail puncture and Sam's could not get a replacement due to a nationwide shortage.

The MT-R's are great in rocks when aired down to the single digits on beadlocks. The BFG's seem to sling goo a little better. The MT-R's were pretty much slick at 40,000, but my TJ is locked up and hard on rubber.
The rim guard feature on the BFG tires is a nice plus. The new BFG MT's look solid and might be something to look into.

Road noise is not something I notice with a soft top, sorry. They both have a little hum to them that is standard with mud tires. If you want a screaming loud tire, run Ground Hawgs backward.

Add some BB's for a smooth ride.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Thanks for the responses everyone... I am just purchasing the tires first, but not installing them until after my lift is installed so I have a few weeks. I'll be honest, I wanted a tire with an aggressive look that is capable as well. I am in Central Illinois currently, so 90% of the time will be spent on regular paved roads. My local tire guy mentioned the Discovery SST's as an alternative, anyone have any experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in