Limp mode - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Limp mode

I had an issue that for atleast the moment has gone away, but I'd like to clarify and fix if possible. On Friday as I was starting up a highway entrance ramp I suddenly noticed my 09 Jeep Commander 3.7l v6 would not accelerate past about 27mph 2000rpms. I pulled off and tried down/up shifting and neither worked. Also the day before this happened my transmission (I'd assume) made a loud thunk whenever i shifted into reverse or drive.

I still had my check engine light on (I never reset it when I changed my spark plugs a couple weeks ago) so I had my friend use his ODB II to run it for codes and issues. While I don't unfortunately remember the codes I do remember the odb II said input speed sensor and air intake temp sensor. He also reset the codes and after that my car was able to accelerate normally again and didn't make the thunk when putting it in reverse or drive, but he warned me it could be 100 mile cycle and I'll see this issue again shortly.

I ordered an input speed sensor from Mopar Parts Overstock and they replied with an email stating the VIN I gave (2009 Jeep Commander V6) doesn't have an input speed sensor.

I've tried looking for similar issues on various forums and search engine searches for both "limp mode" and "input speed sensor" and couldn't find any similar symptoms or overlapping between the two.

I also searched for DIY steps for replacing the input speed sensor on my car (I found a few for Jeep grand cherokees, but had no idea if they'd be the same steps).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any additional information may be needed to help determine the issue I'll do my best to provide it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
I had mine go in limp mode a few times. It was diagnosed as a bad conductor plate, which has the speed sensors in it. Had that replaced Dec of 13. Thats been resolved, but unfortunately others issues have arrived since...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

we just bought a '07 yesterday with the 3.7 and the wife was driving from the grocery store to a destination and said it wouldn't go over 30ish, she pulled over, shut it off and no problem til a few hours later and same thing on her way home. Here's the kicker, drove it home last nite 38 miles with no problems she fills it up and boom drivability problems. Hook my computer up and no codes. Battery does not appear to be very old and I have ordered the special German transmission dipstick tool. If anyone has ideas please help. Ohh and can't find a repair manual to save my @$$...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

So my friend with the ODB was right, it came back. This time it won't accelerate past 40 (I'm guessing topping out at 2000 rpm in third instead of second). I told Mopar to send the input speed sensor anyway, I'll see if that works and let you guys know when it comes in.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM

give you all an update on my problem, wife said it did it again so I called Jeep and found the sensor (have the Mopar p/n and found it on amazon) $425 its above the valve body in the trans. Said he has sold alot. Called the dealer and told him (48 hours after purchase) and he needs to talk to his boss. Sounds like a good idea. Just got a picture over text message from the wife with the check engine light on. Will be hooking up my computer with in the hour. In the meantime, waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought it from. Stay tuned.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM

P2767 is the code. Input speed sensor. Car is locked in limp mode. Called Jeep and no damage to the trans is associated with this failure. Had a work order faxed to the dealer I bought it from and the owner won't be in until noon. You own a business and have a upset customer and noon is the best you can do. Stop it...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydspeed View Post
give you all an update on my problem, wife said it did it again so I called Jeep and found the sensor (have the Mopar p/n and found it on amazon) $425 its above the valve body in the trans. Said he has sold alot. Called the dealer and told him (48 hours after purchase) and he needs to talk to his boss. Sounds like a good idea. Just got a picture over text message from the wife with the check engine light on. Will be hooking up my computer with in the hour. In the meantime, waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought it from. Stay tuned.
I paid $469. for the part you talking about, installed. They dropped the pan, removed the valve body and replaced the plate, fluid and filter. Its a conductor plate with 2 speed sensors. I think the part alone was $179...call around if your not already committed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 PM

each dealer has its own price. Don't matter to me the dealer I bought the Jeep from has agreed to pay for all parts and I have to pay labor. The assurance of Jeep doing it in case of any issue down the road, priceless. Good luck to everyone on here with the same problem. FYI, non-Mopar sensors are on Amazon for like $130.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Just had this happen to me tonight. Ive literally had the commander less than 24 hours from getting it from dealer and all sudden i lost most power only could do 40ish and 2k-2500 rmps max had the pedal floored!!! Got home and then tried to back it in and it wouldnt go into reverse and even when i was limping home i tried to do the manual shift and nothing!! so I put it in park tried again then it went into reverse....so shut it off waited a minute then restarted went around the block and the commander was back to normal ....so took it down the road where I could try and hit the 55 range and then all sudden engine light came on and back to limp mode. So now after reading the limp post Im worried that its not just the conductor plate sensor because it wouldnt go into reverse also and this whole time no engine light. Im beginning to regret buying a Jeep Commander

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM

we never tried the reverse trick. But from what I found it was another symptom. If your check engine light is on have it read by a local parts store or shop. Code P2767 is the answer for a bad conductor plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
air intake temp sensor , input speed sensor , limp mode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in