Key Fobs - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Key Fobs

Ok after researching site some I want to make sure I understand what wa posted. When I got my 08 commander yesterday from dealer (not name/big dealer) I received one key fob. After driving home I had to run few errands and went to lock the doors and it wouldnt work....none of the features worked. So i replaced the battery and tried it again. Only the unlock works and panic button...the lock and hatch button do not. So I am waiting to hear back from dealer if they had a second key there. In mean time if I understand the post right if I order another key fob (online) for cheap I would still need the second key in order for it to work? If I order one can I just use it for unlocking /locking and other features on commander other than the ignition? I dont feel comfortable having only one ignition key lol....so trying to figure out options. I assume that I would need to take it to a Jeep dealer and pay the 200$ or so for and additional one?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
You need two good keys to program a new key. You can find new keys on ebay, just make sure they have never been programed, they cannot be reprogramed. You will then have to pay the dealer to program it. Some locksmiths can reprogram it. It may not be the key but the skim module. I would open the key and make sure all contacts are clean and the individual switches work.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

If you have only one key: You can order a replacement. I got one on ebay for cheap. Maybe $65 or so. The dealer charges $40 to program it.
If you have two programmed keys: You can use the 2 keys to program a 3rd with your vehicle.
I did call a local locksmith and they would program the key but, they wanted $100.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

The Key fob I have only the back comes off. It's not like the other key fobs I've seen on YouTube you can take apart......so not sure I can get to those contact points. I can see a few but not the ones that are under the lock button and hatch button.
So maybe I'll find two fobs on eBay and take it to dealer and see what they'd charge me and I can call local locksmith....either way it's something I think that it's important enough to pay the money for .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Do you have a separate key and key fob or are they all one unit? And I agree you need two keys. You can get a simple key made to solve the problem of locking your key in the car. Yes it will cause the alarm to go off, but once you use the real key and start the XK the alarm will shut off.

Last edited by Creek; 01-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah only one key and was gonna just call around to local locksmith to ee what they would charge and or recommend. ALso this issue is put on back burner as tonight i was driving home from errands and i got the limp mode syndrome Ive literally had the car less than 24 hours from getting it from dealer and all sudden i lost most power only could do 40ish and 2k-2500 rmps max had the pedal floored!!! Got home and then tried to back it in and it wouldnt go into reverse and even when i was limping home i tried to do the manual shift and nothing!! so I put it in park tried again then it went into reverse....so shut it off waited a minute then restarted went around the block and the commander was back to normal ....so took it down the road where I could try and hit the 55 range and then all sudden engine light came on and back to limp mode. So now after reading the limp post Im worried that its not just the conductor plate sensor because it wouldnt go into reverse also and this whole time no engine light. Im begining to regret buying a Jeep Commander
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Fletch, check the recall list for the XK. I got a notice a couple months ago that they're recalling these (the FOBIK) for something to do with not going all the way back in place after starting the vehicle. Worth a shot at getting a free replacement.

I also have an 08 3.7 4x4 and have had only 1 issue with the starter and that was covered under warranty. Find out what they did to it while they had it.

Last edited by DetroitMarauder; 01-31-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in