How to tell what drive is in a Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How to tell what drive is in a Commander

Shopping for a Commander and I know from this forum there are two drives, Quadra drive II and Quadra track. My question is how do you distinguish what drive is in the Jeep? Also I am looking at limited that has a badge on the driver side front fender saying Trail Ready, does this mean it has a different suspension for driving trails or that the owner has driven on trails and has received this badge for doing so or is it just an aftermarket badge that the owner put on to make him look like a cool trail runner? This car looks like it has never been of road, no scratches anywhere on the paint so I don't think it has been off road unless it has a new paint job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Mine is written on the console behind the shifter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
This explains your trail rated badge: http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/trail-rated/

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guy for the replies and explanations to my questions I appreciate your prompt replies.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Banned
Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I shopped for and bought jeep Commander just this past fall and also pondered the issue of Quadra Drive II vs Quadra Trac II and can tell you these things --

1. A Commander with Quadra Trac II will, I believe, have a plaque on the center console below the shifter that says Quadra Drive II. If not, then the Commander has either Quadra Trac II (if a Limited) or Quadra Trac I (if a Limited or a Sport). There are other ways to tell from looking at the rear differential case, I believe -- look on this forum.

2. You can also use the VIN number to look on the Jeep website and get a build sheet. It will tell you all of the equipment and options.

3. Don't trust the dealer or a private seller as to the 4WD system. I found that they are usually ignorant.

4. As for the advantages and disadvantages of each system, look on this forum and on you tube, and there is a lot of commentary and opinions. The Quadra Drive II system is the better system, but I found it to be much harder to find a Commander with that system.

5. The Jeep Commander that I purchased has Quadra Trac II, the "lesser" system, because in the end I concluded that other factors such as price and condition were more important.

6. This I can tell you -- after driving my Commander for the past several months, both off roading and in deep snow and icy conditions, the Quadra Trac II system is indescribably better than the 4WD system on the 2000 Dodge Durango that the Commander replaced, both in capabilities and ease of use. And the Durango was pretty good (it has low range and a locking center differential, although open front and rear differentials).

7. This forum is the best source of information for Jeep Commanders,and the members are very helpful. You will find an answer on this forum to just about any question.

8. The Jeep Commander is a great vehicle, with an unmatched combination of size, comfort and off road capabilities, as well as price in the used car market.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Banned

One correction -- I believe all of the Limiteds have either Quadra Drive II or Quadra Trac II and the Sports may have any of the three 4WD systems -- Quadra Drive II, Quadra Trac II or Quadra Trac I. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

I think once you get a Commander, you just enjoy the vehicle and don't worry about the 4WD system. They are all good -- after all, it is a Jeep!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Banned

Sorry, another mistake in my post. On item 1, the Jeep Commanders with Quadra Drive II will have a plague that says Quadra Drive II on the console below the shifter. Ones with Quadra Trac I or II have no plaque, as far as I am aware. I will just shut up now so I don't make more mistakes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Captain C the car I have now has AWD and sends power to each wheel that is not spinning and I thought I would like to have the same system but you say the Q track works well so it gives me another option. Thanks for the reply or should I say replies, anyhow thanks for the information.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Banned

The Jeep Commander 4WD systems are generally much, much more capable than the AWD systems in most vehicles, and not just for off roading but also for driving in snow and ice. Look on this forum or do a search on You Tube for Quadra Trac or Quadra Drive, and it will explain the differences and advantages, which are real.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Make no question about it the QD2 is the best system you can get. If you want to truly know what system you have check the link out below. Because anyone can buy a badge and put it on the Jeep.

How to tell what drive system you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in