Are all these horror stories true. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Are all these horror stories true.

Just read a number of web sites where there are lots of negative reviews and comments on the Commander, mostly on the 06& 07 model years but not limited to just those models. Everything from bad bolts in exhaust manifold to leaks and problems with door handles. Seems by the 09 &10 model years Jeep got there act togegher and those years were much better. Here are links to some of the pages I read.
http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-revi...ander-reviews/

http://repairpal.com/exhaust-manifol...-may-break-840

https://www.silkies.com/pdf/CatalogPDF09.pdf

There are a number of five star reviews but there are more negative reviews.
There were more pages but they are all about the same.
I am still interested in a Commander but will stay away from the 06-07 and see if I can find a -9-10 in my are that I can afford to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Points: 33,405, Level: 100 Points: 33,405, Level: 100 Points: 33,405, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 106,000
Garage
Most internet posts are negative, people usually do not post when everything is OK. I have an 06 and have not had any of the problems listed in all the posts. Original door handles are fine, no exhaust bolt problems. But mine has always been kept in a garage and I do regular maintenance. Count the people posting problems and multiply be 10 and then divide into the number of Commanders built and it would be a very low percent.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Door handles are an easy fix with the right tools and some bondo or fiberglass . my knee sits in perfect relationship and pounded out three before tapping the backside or them up . Exhaust bolts never had any problem "YET" .

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Points: 6,541, Level: 52 Points: 6,541, Level: 52 Points: 6,541, Level: 52
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

I have an 06 model with over 200k miles on it. I don't have a garage so it doesn't get protection from the weather. I haven't had any major problems with my Commander, mostly just normal maintenance. My Commander is my daily driver and is also used to get my boats to the lake or down to the coast.

I'm upset that they discontinued the Commander as I won't be able to replace this one with another when the current one wears out.

John
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

You're reading a list of "common" problems in earlier Commanders, common as in it is more likely to occur than other problems, but by no means it will occur on all Commanders, especially later ones.

The Commander probably falls into average or slightly better for reliability/dependability. They have more problems that require a repair than some, and require repair less than some. By no means are they a nightmare that always breaks down.

Other common problems are corrosion on the starter motor cables that cause it to fail to start, just cleaning the cable ends fix it. HVAC unit breaking a plastic gear so airflow doesn't work correct seems more common than most, an easy fix. AC evaporators developing leaks seems a little more common than most vehicles, most will never have a leak.

I have NOT had a single problem with my 2010 Commander except for the AC evaporator developing a leak. Of course my battery went dead and needed replaced, that is very common for a 4-5 year old car, and doesn't count toward reliability/dependabity in my book.

Last edited by Mongo; 02-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Mongo:
Here is a link to a page that shows that your 2010 has the least amount of complaints.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/
I have been looking at the 2006 models, all that I can afford without having a car payment which I don't want.
I can afford to maintain my cars and keep them running, I drive a 17 year old and my wife a 18 both run good for there age, but if I have any large repair bills it will put a strain on my fixed income.

If I could find a 2010 at a price that I could pay cash I would buy it with no problem, I still like the Commander, just not a 2006 at this time unless I find one owned by someone I know and know its history.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

My 2006 Has't given me any problems except an ignition switch that they have a recall on and their famous N23 recall for the transfer case motor. Even that appears to finally been taken care of. My ONLY complaints are poor Hemi gas mileage aggrevated by a small fuel tank.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Points: 2,587, Level: 30 Points: 2,587, Level: 30 Points: 2,587, Level: 30
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Wow, I guess I do have the horror story Commander. I have 2006 with the 4.7L 4x4 of course, which I bought new. Everything mentioned has happened to me. I have replaced 3 of 4 door handles, which was an easy fix, and actually do work better; my exhaust manifold had a leak that got replaced under warranty, but three bolts snapped and they fixed that but not easy; i am on water pump #4, but again covered under warranty; and definitely the HVAC recirculating/vent gear is broke and have dealt with it for a couple years now, finally been thinking about fixing that, seems easy enough. But I will tell you, its the best Jeep I've owned. It looks bad azz with the lift and tires. It is a beast off road, yet smooth and sweet on road. I've sucked water into the engine, taken the plugs out, cranked it and spit the water right out of the cylinders, put the plugs back in, and continued eating up the trails. It still hums and idles so smooth you wouldn't think its on. Im a member of two off road Jeep clubs and they both are always amazed when I take the Beast out. They love seeing out getting dirty and conquering what I throw at it. Loyal to changing the oil every 3K miles, and the other oils as needed, every fifth gas stop I feed it 93 octane to get everything clean (I learned this from dad), Ive taking it top speed to 121mph one time and 118mph another time and felt at ease and very confident every time. I trust it enough to carry my 2 year old in it every day. Just today I hit 158,000 miles on the odometer and it is still a very good vehicle, which to me rates above many others. I guess the key is to treat it well and it will treat you well and also to make it your own and enjoy it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

I never knew there are lot more bad reviews about commander, little I read before I got mine. This '06 commander 4wd I got for about 4 months now barely had problems, she got around 120kmiles on odo when I got her yet running good.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Best running/driveing Jeep i've ever owned... and i've had quiet a few of the common issues the earlier models are dogged with, and maybe a couple more. Hey, any first year vehicle is bound to have some quirks and hiccups along the way. As much as a despise internet and social media, its been a "vehicle saver" here. Go for what you can afford. You wont regret it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in