Elmscan 5 no DTC's? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Elmscan 5 no DTC's?

ElmScan 5....Just got it in the mail from Amazon. Reads all the data but does not display any DTC's. Any heelp? Am I doing something wrong? I see the gascap and service 4WD system alerts but they are not on the computer display. I went with one that plugs into my computer via USB cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

The elmscan 5 will not display the codes. worthless to me. I have another one that I will try later in the week. It goes to a smartphone. I would prefer to have a windows based scanner that connects to my toughbook via usb.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I've never heard of that scanner so I can't help with that. Most people use the super chips scanner I know that one works. Diablo and hypertech work as well but I don't know anything about those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Not really ready to spend $300 on a scanner.....yet.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 PM

If you need the DTC codes you can do the key dance to get them. Their are a couple of you tube videos on its done.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The Key Dance and scanners under $300 will only read the OBDII codes and few extra manufacturer makes available and stored in the PCM. There are many more codes stored in the PCM, TCM and many other electronic modules all over the vehicle. As well configuring and values that can be set, and operations to do maintenance procedures.

NOT sure on the Diablo and Hypertech, they're primarily for flashing the PCM with new tables for fuel and spark. I know they can read codes, but I don't know if they can read all the codes for all modules and do maintenance operations.

I use the AutoEnguinity ScanTool, it plugs into a laptop via USB. Its a software package as well the adapter cable. The base software package is $200 and to be able to do all the extended functions I spoke about above, is an additional package by manufacturer that costs another $200. The Chrysler Package will do all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The Key Dance and scanners under $300 will only read the OBDII codes and few extra manufacturer makes available and stored in the PCM. There are many more codes stored in the PCM, TCM and many other electronic modules all over the vehicle. As well configuring and values that can be set, and operations to do maintenance procedures.

NOT sure on the Diablo and Hypertech, they're primarily for flashing the PCM with new tables for fuel and spark. I know they can read codes, but I don't know if they can read all the codes for all modules and do maintenance operations.

I use the AutoEnguinity ScanTool, it plugs into a laptop via USB. Its a software package as well the adapter cable. The base software package is $200 and to be able to do all the extended functions I spoke about above, is an additional package by manufacturer that costs another $200. The Chrysler Package will do all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.
Hey Mongo, can you take some screen shots or something of this system. And maybe go into a little more detail. I was planing on getting the super chips but would like to see all options first.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 AM

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto in C'Ville View Post
My guess, it will have the same features as the ELMSCAN 5, which is hardly any features at all.

The manufacturers keep the protocol information proprietary for an unfair competitive advantage to force owners into dealerships instead of doing it themselves or taking their vehicles to independent shops.

The licensing fees to get the information is insane, or the company making the tools has to spend lots of time reverse engineering all the protocols.

So yea, the tools costs 5-10 times what their worth because of that.

I could be wrong, but the Elmscan and OBD Link, look like they are little more than toys to play around with, NOT really tools, you can NOT retrieve codes, you can't clear them, you can't retrieve/clear codes in all the modules all over the vehicle, you can't initiate maintenance operations or self-tests, enter/change configuration data. The tools that can do that costs $500 and then only for one manufacturer, i.e. you have to pay through the nose for each manufacturer you want those features.

Even then those expensive tools can NOT do the, activation of new modules, flash non-volatile data like VIN#, mileage, etc and flash new software to the module. Those tools costs thousands of dollars, like the Dealer Tool that can costs $17k. And the dealer tool is just software on a cheap laptop with a cable. Even worse, more than a few of the procedures require connecting to a corporate database that you have to have a dealer account to do.

Maybe on ebay you can find a used tool for $30-$50 that is capable of reading OBDII codes and clearing them, they run $100 new, and those do NOT read the codes for all the modules, you can have warning lights on the dash on the tools will NOT read any codes from the modules that are setting the warning lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in