Having dobuts - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Having dobuts

Beginning to have my doubts about owning a XK!! Had I read or stumbled on this forum before I bought mine I wouldve never bought mine. As much as I love how it drives and comfort....I have had nothing but issues with it and under 59k miles. Ive owned mine for 3 weeks now and have been able to drive it maybe a week or so. Had transmission go on it 50 miles after driving off lot went into limp mode so they put newer transmission into it instead of just sensor.....rear doors werent unlocking all the time. Recently had the dreaded leak fro sunroof cause all i hear now is water sloshing around and inside is all wet on dash AND in floor mats. And I know I dont feel comfortable enough to pull apart to fix. SO now I will have to take it in and leave again for them to work on....I have had less problems with the last 5 vehicles Ive owned in my lifetime than I have had with this XK and Ive only owned it for 3 weeks. ANd I am sure there is more to come. Now I see why they have discontinued this model. I was planning on lift kits and mods but rethinking about selling the XK and cut my losses before my 90 day warranty from dealer is up. Nothing but a night mare!! I get that every car can have problems but Ive never seen this many reported from so many people and to have them happen so fast on vehicle I havent owned for more than 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't go with liberty or wrangler but there's so little room in those. compared to XK. But I wonder if they even have half the issues XK has lol. I wanted a reliable vehicle not one that I would be working on every week...if I wanted that I wouldve bout a fixer upper clunker and not spend 15k on low mileage 4x4 XK!!!

Last edited by FletchXK; 02-11-2015 at 11:24 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Well Fletch, sorry to hear you are having so many problems. You may have bought somebody else's problems. Having transmission problems so soon would be a good thing, I would assume the seller would cover it? The clogged sunroof is not difficult to fix, my 06 has had this twice, sticking a flexible wire down the drain has fixed it both times. If you are not happy then step away to a new vehicle. If you are not a wrencher, I would stay away from mods and off-roading. I wish you good luck whatever way you go.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I really like the xk just not the fact that I have to do so much to it and I haven't even made a payment yet. Again I realize that any car can have problems and yeah they took care of transmission but now I'm leary of all the stuff that can go wrong with my XK reading all the post. and I would take a bath in trade in if I decide to get rid of it. Loose loose situation ...... would loose about 4-5k I would say. Again the one week Ive driven it I love it!! But its like ..."ok whats next that will go wrong with it?" ANd dealer is offering extended warranty for like 700 for 1 yr 12k but to me that would be borderline red flag? IDK so instead of tryign to enjoy vehicle or spend money on mods its like "ok do i save money for upcoming repairs ??? Or sped on mods? I'd love to do lots of mods to the XK but I have gut feeling this is gonna be a money pit instead of a joy ride lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Points: 4,055, Level: 40 Points: 4,055, Level: 40 Points: 4,055, Level: 40
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 152000
Trade it in on a used Range Rover, in 3 weeks you'll be wishing you had the Jeep back. I've found my Commander to be the nicest 4X4 I've ever owned.

Last edited by AJfixit; 02-18-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added a line
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

No thanks..... for now I'll stick it out with XK lol. Just rough start to ownership. I love how the XK drives.... the looks the room ... and comfort...but hopefully this will pass. I am handy enough to do some things but near as talented enough to do some of things as members here have. If I was able to I think I would have more comfort in owning the XK. Every cars has its quarks if you will....just was frustrated to problems from the start.

Last edited by FletchXK; 02-19-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Not sure of your age, but we all need learning experiences. I can't do all that several members can, but this site sure helps. A forum such as this is meant to air all that goes wrong. If you want to hear good, talk to the dealer or salesperson. My thoughts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I think you are lucky the transmission gave out so quick, you got a new one and that is a good thing now you know this shouldn't give you trouble for a wile. I have not read any motor complains only of people that over heat them, and the other issue you might have is the water pump which shouldn't be that hard to fix I replaced mine at 74k miles. And the door handles breaking that was a cheap design but everyone has that issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I think you might just be freaking yourself out while searching the forums for the problems you're having, thinking everyone is driving money pits that break all the time. It sounds like you bought a neglected vehicle unfortunately, and you may have to work through some quirks before you get the reliable vehicle you thought you were buying. I bought my WJ not realizing the number of issues it had because of poor maintenance from the last guy. I felt like I was fixing things constantly and it was a pit, but after a couple months, I completed the last repair, and it was totally trouble free for the next 2 years I had it. I've had my XK for 6 months with nothing more than a loose vacuum hose and a squeaky navigation disc.

My advice is to work through the issues you see and once you crest the hill, you'll have the vehicle you thought you bought originally. I'm sorry to hear about your luck, but these aren't crappy, unreliable platforms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in