Transmission/Torque Converter/ Transfer Case Issue? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission/Torque Converter/ Transfer Case Issue?

Recently I bought a 2006 4.7L V8 Jeep Commander with 96,000 miles. After the purchase I realized this thing has something very wrong with the transmission/clutch/final drive selector module. I'm not sure which that's why I'm posting this. It seems that when you're coasting down a hill the engine will hold r.p.m. for a while and then totally give out almost as if it has been popped into neutral, if you then hit the gas again it pops back in gear and you continue on. This happens only on downhill grades when coasting.

After happening to me the first time I did some research on the web here and found that my vehicle was eligible to be fixed under recall "N23" which was certain vehicles were popping into neutral and rolling away/ popping into neutral with no user input. Seems like my problem. I call the dealership the next day and get setup to have them do the recall (which is purely just a software update for the final drive selector module to readjust the parameters on when to shift.) I go to the dealership, they do the update badaboom I'm.
However after going to the work the next day I'm coming home going down a hill and bam she kicks right into neutral again and the problem still persists. I sluft it off as a one time thing but it's still continuing so I call the dealership and they say to bring it in again and they'll check it out again.
Take it there to the dealership the tech drives it and can't get it to do it, then I drove with him and again it wouldn't do it. (Obviously someones in the car that can fix it, why would it mess up?) Anywho he checks on the fluids etc. etc. everything passes with a clean bill of health. At this point these people think I'm crazy because they couldn't get it to do it, and I'm standing there saying something is very wrong. I had video proof of it but they didn't want to see it they wanted to actually feel and see it happening first hand. So they sent Chrysler an inquiry to see what they have to say.

Several days later they got back to me and stated that it's most likely the gear selector motor attached to the transfer case and that they would replace that as well as drain and refill the transfer case and that "should" fix it, all for the low price of $680. So that's not happening because only a tard would pay that much for a $180 motor that's held on by four bolts and well a transfer case is easy to drain and fill to. So I'll be saving myself a lot by doing it myself.

But, what if this doesn't work? Then what!? I had another guy mention that possibly my transmission filters are clogged and when I'm descending a hill the tranny starts pumping air and that's what causes it to let go, but he stated that normally this would throw a code and mine doesn't. Also the fluid "appears" to be at appropriate working level but this guy does have a point. . .

Thoughts/Ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Steven

http://youtu.be/GGIQs9nhpx0
(Sorry for the bad quality on the second half of the videos)
This is the link for the recall that I had done. http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/N23.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Some of the earlier 545RFE transmissions (came with the V8's) had a faulty filter installed in them, that would crack and let fluid pressure leak. Usually it caused all the fluid to drain overnight back into the pan and the vehicle wouldn't move for a few seconds on first start the next morning until all the fluid pumped back into the trans. Doing a fluid and filter change, that replaces the faulty filter, will fix it. I have seen posts saying the problem can cause stalling while coming to a stop and other minor malfunctions. If you're overdue for an fluid and filter change it can't hurt to do it.

I have yet to hear about a NV245 case randomly shifting in and out of neutral. Usually the problem was a faulty circuit board, the software upgrade to 4wd controller I "think" was to test for the faulty circuit board and disable the motor if it found it and light the "service 4wd system" warning. Which just about every Commander that had the software flash was failing the test and loosing the 4wd LOW ability and the dealer telling them they need a new shift motor and they back ordered for more than a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in