Anyone have the ignition switch recall done yet? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anyone have the ignition switch recall done yet?

Was curious as to if anyone had the recall done on their XK for the ignition switch If so how long did the dealer have your XK for? Trying to figure out how long I will be without my XK so I can arrange to either take time off from work or have ride to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
No fix reported yet that I know of. I am looking into replacing my entire switch deal with a push button system.
Many premade systems out there, but non made for the CAN bus that ch ysler has. I am going to the junkyard that has a vehicle I just totaled and rip out the system for some good old trial and error. 2014 durango.

Wont be the first time i hacked the can bus to make stuff work.

Dave
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I just bought a 2007 this week and asked about the recall notice from 9-2014. The service guy told me they have the recall but no remedy as of yet. He claimed the problem was because people hang too many keys off their ignitions switch key ring and the second reason was they bump the key with their leg while driving.

I didn't necessarily believe either of his explanations but the printed out recall he gave me, clearly showed that Jeep still has no solution ...for the faulty ignition switches.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
I just found this:

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I am going to get it, I will post pics when it is installed.

Say... after 1st week of March possibly. I need to rearrange my install schedule to fit it in. I hate changing plans, but this looks very useful versus power modifications on my intake manifold.

Dave
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

SERIOUSLY????? WTF So I emailed chrysler and ripped them a new one for lack of support and design flaws in the XK with their sun roof drains and other know issues with the XK and their reply was that while they understand our frustration take my XK to dealer that is due for recall and let them fix any problems and diagnose any other problems I have and that I am responsible for any charges that may apply to it. LMAO!! WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS!!! We bail their BUTTS out 80 billion dollars worth and our government looses 1.2 billion of that and they have the gdm nerve to say we don't know the answer to the recall (how to fix) and its your problem not ours and youll have to pay any charges that you may incur our technicians diagnosing your XK??
Here's link to complaints on this issue and I'll be damned CHRYSLER cant fix it and or doesn't want to if your warranty has run out even though I'd bet my lief on it they knew it existed long before they released the vehicle lol. What surprises me the most is the NHTSA (govt) isn't forcing Chrysler to fix this. And why hasn't all jeep owners gone in with one lawyer to either get compensation to get their jeep (models) fixed or force them to fix it even with warranty that's expired as it is safety issue and design flaw.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I understand that any vehicle can have issues or repairs/failures but this seems tad over the top with issues lol.

Last edited by FletchXK; 02-17-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 AM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Its crazy to hear those reply and actions after things they are responsible for. NHTSA should have something to do with this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

His explanation was accurate of the ignition recall. There is nothing actually "wrong" with the ignition switch, people just bump it with their knee somehow (although my 6'3" legs are no where close) and can't figure out that the power brakes and manual steering still works. This recall is a waste of time, and not something I'm taking my XK in for when a fix becomes available. I have better things to do with my time then sit in a dealer service waiting room for three hours while they change something that's never going to affect me. Likely it's going to be a different ignition switch that has a push-in to turn off or something.

Why such anger towards Chrysler? Plenty of cars have clog-prone sunroof drains. They aren't that tough to clear and it's not something that can't be partially avoided by parking under less trees and such. I've personally never had a problem with it. As far as "other issues," the WK/XK platform has less glaring issues than a lot of other cars I know, and the fact is you're in a used car market with a platform that has been out of production for 5+ years. Any recalls and changes done at this point are most likely going to safety related and driven by serious accidents. The story is the same for any brand.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

The anger towards chrysler is that since ive owned my XK for 3-1/2 weeks I've had to replace transmission 57k miles on it....doors are failing to unclock and open (acuator) sun roof leaking and dripping through pillars and also water buildup under floor carpet in front (think from sun roof). passenger mirror vibrates like crazy. I ve owned 5 cars in my lifetime before this and never had issues with one of them other than general maintenance (brakes/mufflers/tires/maybe paint peel here there. 2 of those vehicles had sun roofs and neither leaked . And yeah I get that I can fix most on my own but the point is this is happening on an overwhelming number of Commanders and all jeep models from what Ive read and have been told by dealers. My boss has T-top 88 montecarlo and it doesnt even leak and thats original 37 year old seals on it....so the fact that chrysler has a product that is less than 10 years old and its leaking says it all. And if the ignition thing with keys is issue then why do those stupid key fobs? so they can make money when people need to make spare keys? Why design these gadgets on cars if they are gonna fail? When I first started driving my dad gave me tire pressure gauge and told me to check tires ever few fill ups at gas station....I dont need a sensor in the rim to tell me when its low lol. Or all these fancy sensors to tell me time to change the oil? Or the best one is "LETS PUT A SENSOR FOR THE TRANSMISSION INSIDEthe trasmission so when it fails they have to take the transmission apart to replace it and we can make money off them for the labor" Thats what all car companies are doing making cars more complex and with cheaper parts so they fail and have to be brought back to dealer. Thats my beef! I wouldnt be upset if there wasnt a general attitude from chrysler of not our problem its yours after the company was bailed out. Just being a little grateful and empathetic to its consumers would go a long way.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
His explanation was accurate of the ignition recall. There is nothing actually "wrong" with the ignition switch, people just bump it with their knee somehow (although my 6'3" legs are no where close) and can't figure out that the power brakes and manual steering still works. This recall is a waste of time, and not something I'm taking my XK in for when a fix becomes available. I have better things to do with my time then sit in a dealer service waiting room for three hours while they change something that's never going to affect me. Likely it's going to be a different ignition switch that has a push-in to turn off or something.

Why such anger towards Chrysler? Plenty of cars have clog-prone sunroof drains. They aren't that tough to clear and it's not something that can't be partially avoided by parking under less trees and such. I've personally never had a problem with it. As far as "other issues," the WK/XK platform has less glaring issues than a lot of other cars I know, and the fact is you're in a used car market with a platform that has been out of production for 5+ years. Any recalls and changes done at this point are most likely going to safety related and driven by serious accidents. The story is the same for any brand.
Agreed on ****canning their recall. The recall should've been for the faulty ignition switch modules that so many of had to replace due to the dash lights flickering, etc. Andyes, Chrysler does nothing to retain loyal customers. Horrible.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Points: 132, Level: 2 Points: 132, Level: 2 Points: 132, Level: 2
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCBIRD View Post
I just bought a 2007 this week and asked about the recall notice from 9-2014. The service guy told me they have the recall but no remedy as of yet. He claimed the problem was because people hang too many keys off their ignitions switch key ring and the second reason was they bump the key with their leg while driving.

I didn't necessarily believe either of his explanations but the printed out recall he gave me, clearly showed that Jeep still has no solution ...for the faulty ignition switches.
For what it's worth, I bought my 06 xk in early summer of 2009 and I bet it wasn't a month after owning it that my knee bumped the bottom of my key ring (a bottle opener), tweaked/torqued it just right and the Jeep shut off while going down the road. Of course, I just put it in neutral and started it back up -- but still, that was annoying and I can see how it could be dangerous. I had just one simple ring with a small normal bottle opener on it -- but it happened a couple more times after that so I decided to take the ring off my key. I have had a ringless key for over 5 years now!

I think it would be cool if their "fix" was a push-button start. Somehow I bet it will instead be some gaudy, ugly locking system that I will decide to pass on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in