Key Fob Stopped Working - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,918, Level: 26 Points: 1,918, Level: 26 Points: 1,918, Level: 26
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Key Fob Stopped Working

Has anyones key fob stopped working on its own? I have a 2007 limited with 2 factory key fobs. When we bought the jeep a little over 6 months ago, both keys worked for locking and unlocking the jeep. I'm not sure exactly when it began, but now one key doesn't work. It will start the jeep, but won't control the locks. I've changed the battery, but it didn't help. The key hasn't been dropped or submerged or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Jeep Commanders have had several different keys over the years.

Are you describing the Fobik key? People keep calling this a key Fob, it is NOT, a key fob is just a remote, you do NOT insert it into any ignition switch. The Fobik key looks somewhat like a key fob, but it has a plastic block on the end to insert into the ignition switch.

There is a RFID chip in the plastic block, it's separate from the remote control (keyless Entry) part of the key. So the battery or the device itself that opens doors, lights lights, etc can fail totally and the car will still start. The RFID chip is energized from RF energy from the ignition switch, it is NOT connected to the battery or the buttons in anyway.

The vehicle keyless entry is separate from the ignition as well, it has an antenna and power. But since one Fobik key works and the other does NOT, sounds like that one key has the problem. I'd confirm the replacement battery was good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 02-22-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM

If you have two working keys, you can get another key off ebay and use the Self-Programming feature to program the 3rd key. The programming will also program the remote features of your key to the car as well.

The feature was removed in 2010, but you have a 2007, so you should be able to do it no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

This is the key I have

http://www.denver-locksmith.net/wp-c...h83umrtqtm.png

It is the key with the lock/unlock, panic, back glass open, and remote start.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 PM

That is NOT a fobik key, it is either a Transponder key or Non-Transponder, meaning a plain key blade with a remote in the key head.

What does the owner manual say about programming the remote to the vehicle? Usually there is a procedure to program it. You may be able to get a new one off ebay, just the head and put it in the existing key, and program it to the vehicle.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 PM

I just checked the 2007 O.M., seems 2007 only came with the Sentry Key System, which is a transponder system. The only talk in the manual about programming keys is the customer self-programming procedure. So as you program the transponder chip it also programs the remote portion of the key.

Perhaps you best option would be to get a Sentry Key Transponder Blank off ebay, have the key blade cut at a hardware store and use the customer self-program feature to program the transponder chip and remote.

Remember, once a key has been programmed, it can never be programmed for another car, so you have to get a brand new key. And just because they look the same does NOT mean it will work, check the part number or at least that it is for a 2007 Commander.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacem...454540&vxp=mtr

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I will check into a blank one and reprogram it. Is it common for these keys to quit working on their own like this? Like I said, it used to work and all of a sudden, it stopped.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I have a similar looking key for my 06 XK and it has been through the washing machine and other abuse and like a Timex it keeps on ticking. I would swap batteries with your good key first and also push the buttons when you have it apart to see if they work before I bought a new key. New battery does not necessarily mean a good battery.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 AM

You'll find other posts on this forum about the remote portion of the key stop working, another one recently for the Fobik type key. So, I guess it happens, but it doesn't seem to be common.

Again, follow the advice about checking another battery, a new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good one, you've always could have put it in backwards. The button cells sometimes sits on store shelves for years.

Other vehicles, without transponder or rfid chip keys, the vehicle usually has a procedure to program the remotes to the car. Sometimes if a remote lost its programming to the car, you could go through the procedure to reprogram existing remotes to it again, like if you got a new remote.

But since the Commander only comes with XPDR or RFID chip keys, the programming the xpdr/rfid to the car also does the remote at the same time.

Besides, if the remote was working intermittently, that is NOT a programming problem, it either looses the programming until it is redone or doesn't, it doesn't loose it and reprogram itself, do it all over again, intermittently. So I suspect something physical caused it to fail.

The keys go through a lot, even though they are tough, it just takes some goo or something rubbing off your fingers to ooze in and it can short out the buttons or damage the circuit board.

One thing I have had luck with, is the cleaning the button themselves, the rubber skin, if you can take it apart and separate the rubber skin buttons (most remotes I've seen, you can) and clean it, the back especially that has the carbon impregnated pads that press on the contacts of the circuit board. Soapy water for the rubber skin, let it dry, then clean it with something like windex or electrical cleaner. If you have the batter out, you can clean the circuit board with windex, or electrical cleaner with battery in. That might get it working again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in