The Shifter Rod has damaged the chrome trim bezel - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Shifter Rod has damaged the chrome trim bezel

When I bought my 07 Commander, I noticed that when I shift into Drive, the shifter comes all the way back and actually strikes the chrome outline trim on the bezel. You would think that there should be a rubber bumper stop or something to limit the shifters travel There must be some kinda stop, so that the rod can't travel so far as to smack into the chrome plastic trim (and make it serve as the limiter stop). Is there some kinda adjustment that I can make to stop this from happening?

The problem is bad enough that the previous owner did this so much... the chromed plastic edging actually cracked off and is now missing (where it keeps hitting it). This is from repeatedly going into Drive and the rod shaft smacking the trim. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm assuming there is no such thing as just replacing that chrome trim piece... after adjusting what ever isn't adjusted properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I can't say I know how to adjust this, but I went out to my Commander to check it out and, even pulling back on the shifter in the D position, there is at least 1/8" clearance to the bezel, and it sits about 1/4" away from the bezel when I release it.

How does everything else line up? If you pull the chrome trim around the main shift bezel, is the gap even around the plastic to the wood piece? When in park, is there excessive clearance to the chrome bit as if the entire assembly is shifted forward?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for checking you Commander for comparison. When I pull my shifter back its touching the area that's cracked off, and when I release it.... the shaft is still touching the plastic trim.
The thing is everything looks correctly placed as far as upper bezels are concerned and everything has what looks like a correct gap. It's as if the shifter mechanism should be moved forward about 1/4" if that's even possible. I'm guessing it just bolts up to the floor, with little or no forward/backward play in the way it can be fixed in place.
But again, if there is supposed to be a stop inside the assembly and the stops not doing its job, it might just be allowing the rod to come back further then its supposed to. I can see how the continous striking eventually just broke the trim.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I know the shifter linkage is typically adjustable where it goes in to the transmission. Perhaps this is the area to look for adjustment. Otherwise, I would probably just start taking things apart and seeing where there might be adjustment on the interior side. To do this, you would pop off the vertical center console bezel that goes around the HVAC controls and such, and then pop off the horizontal wood bezel around the shifter. There are no screws, just spring clips. This should give you a better look inside there to see if there is adjustment, but my guess is that the transmission linkage is out of adjustment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

I guess that's the best way to tackle it. I'll take the trim off tomorrow and see if I can make some sense of how to adjust it.

I saw today that with a little light pressure forward , I can push the shaft forward, about 1/8" - 3/16" before the feeling of moving it out of the "Drive detente" begins. I'll have to take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in