2 unusual front end noises - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2 unusual front end noises

Hey guys,

So I've developed 2 strange noises from my front end that I can't seem to find an answer for...

The first noise is a bit worrying and was REALLY noticeable when I was dune bashing on the weekend. It happened when I'd be travelling on uneven dunes where the car was tilting to the left. I also hear it when I'm going up my multi-level carpark and the ramp transitions from ramp to flat, sending the weight to the right side as I'm turning left. Tried to take a video, but you will either need headphones or large speakers to hear it at 0.04. It's a significant clunk followed by some sort of metallic grinding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz1m...ature=youtu.be

The second noise is a sort of ticking/clicking noise that ONLY happens when my foot is off the gas and rolling/coasting below 15mp/h. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1ga7bUVjM

Any help with either noise would be amazing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Its hard to hear the noise in the first video over the muffler LOL. The second noise almost sounds like a drive shaft but only a hands on inspection can tell for sure. If you put your hands on the front drive shaft there should be no play in it at all. Meaning you should not be able to turn back and forth or push/pull it either. In the first video it almost sounds like it's skipping teeth. Did you land any spinning tires in the sand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

So the guys at my workshop have said that the 2nd noise (clicking/ticking) is definitely coming from the transfer case so they need to pull it apart and see what the problem is.

Still need to figure out what the 1st noise is though - I've not been able to find anything even remotely close on the forum!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMonkey View Post
So the guys at my workshop have said that the 2nd noise (clicking/ticking) is definitely coming from the transfer case so they need to pull it apart and see what the problem is.

Still need to figure out what the 1st noise is though - I've not been able to find anything even remotely close on the forum!
That might be the skipping teeth noise I heard.

Stop by and like the page

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

So I've got the Jeep back and the noise is gone now that I have a replacement transfer case.

Turns out that the RETARDS that I took my Jeep to previously to investigate a leaking transfer case didn't do their job - there was no fluids and the internals of the case were beyond repair!

But now I have a fully operational 4LO and 1 noise is gone. That grinding noise when I'm at full lock is still there though, perhaps it's a wheel bearing?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Realised that the 1st noise I wasn't able to identify is related to the ESP. Did a bit of light dune bashing last weekend and switched the system completely off and when there would usually be a noise there was none.

Could it be a faulty sensor?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
But now I have a fully operational 4LO and 1 noise is gone. That grinding noise when I'm at full lock is still there though, perhaps it's a wheel bearing?
Do you have QDII 4WD system? It has clutch packs in the front/rear differentials. Plenty of posts about noise/binding with these differentials at low speeds and tight turns, when the axle were overdue for a fluid change. Fresh fluid, with the correct friction modifier additive cures the condition.
Quote:
Realised that the 1st noise I wasn't able to identify is related to the ESP. Did a bit of light dune bashing last weekend and switched the system completely off and when there would usually be a noise there was none.

Could it be a faulty sensor?
OR, it could be the ESP working like it's designed. The ESP will activate the ABS pump, to apply the brake at certain wheels to maintain traction or make direction corrections from slipping and sliding. The ABS pump will make a grinding/clunking sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in