First road trip test for XK - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

First road trip test for XK

Going tonight to pick my son up from college. Driving through the night to get him. Its about 670 miles one way. Trying to figure out how mnay tanks itll take lol. Looked at manual, says about 21gal tank. But on my local driving fill ups I dont think I got above 16gals lol. Of course I has between 1/4 and E sooooo....Hoping to hit close to 17 mpg on highway lmao. Will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Well the XK did great!!! Drove 23hours straight with no issues other then a loew tire pressure sensor once but think it was after we hit a big bump in road work. I changed the air filter and I was not happy with the dealer I got the XK from. They never changed it ...it was all black and filled with dirt and seeds. I put in K&N filter after cleaning housing. I found a difference in HP and bit better gas mileage. The sweat spot was 60-65 topped around 18 mpg but I am wondering now the dealer said they went trhough everything in XK but I know they didnt ...they rushed to get it ready.....and I told them not to. It was inspected and had new tires put on it but im thinking they never bother to check the life of the spark plugs .........so thats next on my list. I will buy MOPAR ones they arent to expensive I did toy with idea of scheduling a quick change while I picked my son up from college but they wanted 135$ lol. Not sure what normal cost are but I dont feel comfortible doing myslef. I see there are different plugs ? Intake side or some other side? I think I found the right part number for 3.7l but Iam sure it will help my gas mileage for sure. City ATM is only 12 mpg.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
I think 135 to replace the plugs is a good deal. Stock plugs are very inexpensive, maybe $2 each. its about a 1.5, 2 hour job... and they're not Mopar but Autolite, I like the Autolite Iridium 9, been running great since installed years ago. I'll replace them this summer with the same.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchXK View Post
Well the XK did great!!! Drove 23hours straight with no issues other then a loew tire pressure sensor once but think it was after we hit a big bump in road work. I changed the air filter and I was not happy with the dealer I got the XK from. They never changed it ...it was all black and filled with dirt and seeds. I put in K&N filter after cleaning housing. I found a difference in HP and bit better gas mileage. The sweat spot was 60-65 topped around 18 mpg but I am wondering now the dealer said they went trhough everything in XK but I know they didnt ...they rushed to get it ready.....and I told them not to. It was inspected and had new tires put on it but im thinking they never bother to check the life of the spark plugs .........so thats next on my list. I will buy MOPAR ones they arent to expensive I did toy with idea of scheduling a quick change while I picked my son up from college but they wanted 135$ lol. Not sure what normal cost are but I dont feel comfortible doing myslef. I see there are different plugs ? Intake side or some other side? I think I found the right part number for 3.7l but Iam sure it will help my gas mileage for sure. City ATM is only 12 mpg.

never trust a used car dealer!....my wifes commander after she bought it had a hole in the muffler and a noisy front strut (need replacing) and the transfer case oil had not been done in a while. All the dealer did was put on cheap brakes and tires....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:01 PM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Fletch,
If I remember correctly you have a 4.7 V8 only 8 plugs. If you can turn a wrench at all you can replace your plugs. Either do one at a time or lable the wires as you remove them. A pivotal driver 3/8 inch will help with the back plugs and you will need some extensions 8-12 inch size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in