FCA ordered to explain handling of 20 recalls at July hearing - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

FCA ordered to explain handling of 20 recalls at July hearing

FCA ordered to explain handling of 20 recalls at July hearing
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...t-july-hearing

For a full list of the FCA vehicles in question
http://www.nhtsa.gov/safercar/rs/chrysler/index.html

It seems the NHTSA has called Chrysler, now FCA, in front of them in a public hearing. They are NOT satisfied with how FCA is resolving the identified defects and how they are resolving the issued recalls.

Yes, the Commanders/Grand Cherokee's "Inadvertent ignition switch movement turning off the engine" is part of that list.

Again, the Commander recall is for "Inadvertent ignition switch movement turning off the engine" and NOT stalling issues.

Yes, "some" stalling issues may be caused by an intermittently failing Ignition Switch, that is NOT inadvertently switched to off. That is NOT what the recall is for. Yes, if you have this problem, replacing the ignition switch for a totally unrelated issue would also fix your problem, also going to the auto store, buying a new switch an spending the half hour installing it yourself will also fix the stalling issue, but perhaps the "Inadvertent ignition switch movement turning off the engine" might still be there.

No, "many" stalling issues may be caused by failure to do proper maintenance or normal failure of some components. That is NOT what the recall is for.

OK, "there is" a thread about earlier Hemi PCM's having an internal flaw that can cause broken circuits that intermittently are interrupted and causes near undiagnosable stalling issues. That is NOT what the recall is for. BUT, if this thread is true, you may have a case that it needs to be recalled, and you need to pursue the normal recall procedure to get it done.

No, they do NOT issue recalls for every part that fails on a vehicle, they issue a recall for parts that have a defect i.e. they do NOT perform properly and can cause an unsafe condition or by the total numbers of way to early failures it's clearly defective.

Sorry, a few Commanders that have a CPS fail, have a coil fail, etc is like any other vehicle, components wear out or fail earlier than expected, the vehicle will require maintenance and repair during its life.

Last edited by Mongo; 05-19-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Has anyone herd when they're going to fix the N23 Recall that's causing "Service 4WD System" which is not allowing 4WD LO in the 4WD Models. I own a 2008 Commander Limited with the HEMI and I've had the N23 Recall done 3X in the past 9 Months and it only works for a day or so tops. It went back out before I left the parking lot at the dealership the last time and pulled it right back in so they could do it again. When it quit working this time the "Service 4WD System" stays on all the time where before it only came on when I tried to put it into 4LO.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 AM
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Halleuya!! I just talked to Chrysler and was informed that they have a NEW UPDATED RECALL to the old N23 that causes loss of 4WD-LOW that letters will start going out June 2015 to owners of Jeep Commanders with 4WD. This update which is called P73 will actually include parts replacement instead of Flashing the original FDCM. Thank you Chrysler for what I hope will fix my JEEP. I absolutely love my Commander and was afraid I was going to have to trade it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis08 View Post
...This update which is called P73 will actually include parts replacement instead of Flashing the original FDCM....
Ummm, the other recalls that require parts replacement, owners have been calling dealers for more than a year and keep getting told the parts aren't available yet. I really do hope they get the new parts out there quickly, but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

I think that is the root of the problem, some of the modules had a defective circuit board that would crack and fail, in a couple of cases it caused the XFR case to shift in neutral uncommanded, and the Commanders rolled down a hill.

So the first solution Chrysler fielded was a software flash that had a new self-test that should spot the defect and disable the ability to shift into neutral, which unfortunately will disable the ability to shift into 4LOW as well. Either just about all the modules were defective or the new self-test was bad, because it was failing just about every vehicle that was flashed to it.

My guess, Chrysler is replacing the modules, either new ones they assured the defect was fixed, or a redesigned module that would prevent the dangerous condition of uncommanded shifting into neutral.

Has anyone looked into just bypassing the module? Couldn't you just rig up the shift motor to a switch? I could imagine that would work for QDII, but QTII needs the module to control the ELSD's and maybe/maybe NOT bypassing it just for the shift motor, might make the module do something undesired with the ELSD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in