Transmision ID - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mongo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmision ID

I am looking to buy a used Commander and I've noticed not all Commanders have the Quadra-drive emblem on the console. Does that mean it is not a Quadra-drive? And if not what transmission dose it have? Any difference off road? Looking for an 07 or 08 Overland or limited, Hemi or 4.7 but prefer the Hemi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 AM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6984&highlight=system&page=7

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

We need a sticky or FAQ for questions like these.

Commanders came with:
Engines:
  • 3.7L V6
  • 4.7L V8
  • 5.7L V8 Hemi
The 3.7L and 4.7L are the same design, just one has two more cylinders.
Later Commanders only came with the Hemi and V6, no 4.7L V8.

Transmissions (have no bearing on the 4WD system):
  • W5A580 (a.k.a. NAG1) a Mercedes designed 5spd but manufactured by Chrysler
  • 545RFE a Chrysler design
The V6's had the W5A580
The V8's had the 545RFE
The Mercedes design W5A580 has a capped off fill tube, it was dealer service only, but you can buy the special dip stick off ebay and service it yourself, provided you go to all the trouble of the extra steps, measure fluid temp, use the chart and be super precise like is required.

Drivetrain (different equipment bolted to the back of the transmission and further down the drivetrain). All Commanders have stability, tractions control and wheel slip limiting features that use the ABS to activate brakes at individual wheels create these effects. These systems create a "virtual" limited slip differential for all drive wheels on Commanders. So do NOT be disappointed with open differentials, you will still get nearly to as good as traction as you would with LSD's.
  • RWD only, the trans case will actually be different for just the rear driveshaft attachment only, trans is the same, just the back of the case which is cast with this instead having some sort of bolt up.
  • Quadra-Trac I (QTI), AWD/Full Time 4WD, always engaged, has the NV140 Transfer Case, it is single speed case, no ability to lock or shift into low, no ability to shift into neutral for being towed, the case is much smaller than the others because it has less equipment in it. It has a weight on a rubber damper bolted to it, to damp out vibrations, on the opposite side of the front drive shaft. In the cabin, there will be no lever to shift into 4LOW, cause it can't shift into 4LOW. All differentials are open differentials.
  • Quadra-Trac II (QTII), AWD/Full Time 4WD, always engaged, has the NV245 Transfer Case, it is a two speed case, it has the ability to lock when put into 4LOW and to shift into low, it has the ability to shift into neutral for being towed, the case is much larger than the NV247 because it has more equipment in it. It has an electric motor bolted to it, to shift it into 4LOW electrically. In the cabin, there will be a lever to shift into 4LOW, and it will have a tiny recessed button that you can press with a pen to put it into neutral. Front and rear differentials are open diffs, the center diff in the xfr case can lock when put into 4LOW.
  • Quadra-Drive II (QDII), AWD/Full Time 4WD, always engaged, has the NV245 Transfer Case, it is a two speed case, it has the ability to lock when put into 4LOW and to shift into low, it has the ability to shift into neutral for being towed, the case is much larger than the NV247 because it has more equipment in it. It has an electric motor bolted to it, to shift it into 4LOW electrically. In the cabin, there will be a lever to shift into 4LOW, and it will have a tiny recessed button that you can press with a pen to put it into neutral, there will be a little placard by the 4LOW shift lever that states Quadra-Drive II. Front and rear differentials are electronic limited slip differentials (elsd) that are computer controlled to limit slip mechanically or to lock as needed, the center diff in the xfr case electronically lock as needed and will lock when put into 4LOW. Since the ELSD's are larger than the open diffs, the diff cases have to be larger. You can identify if the Commander has an ELSD (i.e. is QTII) by looking at the rear diff and count the bolts for the pan. Open differentials (QTI, QTII) will have 10 bolts, ELSD (QDII) will have 12 bolts.
The difference in the Transfers Cases, the smaller NV140 of Qaudra-Track I is on the right.

Most of the QDII's Commanders were Hemi's, most of the QTI Commanders were 3.7L V6's. QTII were 4.7L V8's and Hemi's. There are exceptions, like V6 with QTII, but they are rare.
Floresiiic01 likes this.

Last edited by Mongo; 05-28-2015 at 02:29 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

One correction Mongo, the commander never had Quadra drive I. 3.7 normally has Quadra TRAC I, 4.7 Quadra TRAC II, (only difference is QTII has low range, and most HEMIs (if 4wd) have Quadra Drive II. The WJ trail rated grand Cherokee had Quadra Drive I which was LSD on both ends, but not electronically controlled.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Points: 16,398, Level: 82 Points: 16,398, Level: 82 Points: 16,398, Level: 82
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
My 4.7 06 XK has QDII.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Jones View Post
One correction Mongo, the commander never had Quadra drive I. 3.7 normally has Quadra TRAC I, 4.7 Quadra TRAC II, (only difference is QTII has low range, and most HEMIs (if 4wd) have Quadra Drive II. The WJ trail rated grand Cherokee had Quadra Drive I which was LSD on both ends, but not electronically controlled.
Thanks, I'm going to edit it to fix it. I had Quadra-Trac and Quadra-Drive reversed, I googled it to check quick while writing it, and the Wikepedia article on Jeep 4WD systems had it backwards, I just double checked it off the Jeep website, you're correct and let wikipedia convince me to write it swapped around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in