More Emissions Equipment on California Commanders? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,016, Level: 40 Points: 4,016, Level: 40 Points: 4,016, Level: 40
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

More Emissions Equipment on California Commanders?

I'm considering the purchase of my second Commander. I found one in SoCal and want to know if the California Commanders have more emissions equipment than Commanders sold in other states.

Also, has anyone used one of the two used vehicle inspectors in SoCal: Auto Doc's Inspections and Lemon Squad?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
I believe there are differences in the California models. - I'm pretty sure the catalytic converters are unique to California. You can tell by opening the hood and looking for the emissions compliance label. If it says 50 state its the same everywhere. If it says California compliant it is unique to California in some way. If it says 48 state legal it was purchased at sometime out of California and brought here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Just because a car is located in California does NOT necessarily mean it is a California model. Because of California's often extreme laws, many dealerships just over the border make a lot of extra sales from people driving over the border to buy a 49 state legal model and then register it in CA.

As well, California keeps changing their emissions laws to be more restrictive than the rest of the county, but soon the rest of the country catches up. So, since 1976, you will find manufacturer's made "California Only" models, then stop making them for "50 State" models, then start making them again, and on and on...... Depends if the Federal and California laws corresponded those model years or if California passed another round of even more restrictive emissions laws, that the Fed would catch up to in a couple of years.

I don't know, and I could be wrong, but I don't think there were any "California Only" models for Commanders, the emissions laws were such during those years, that California Only models weren't needed, the vehicles for the rest of the country met their emission standards. You should do a little research, cause I am NOT confident at all about there NOT being any California Model Only Commanders.

Yes, California also has very restrictive aftermarket laws as well, laws like anything effecting emissions must be repaired by state approved professional mechanics, and only use Dealer/OEM source replacement parts, etc.... That also gets into the mix when discussing resale of California vehicle, when it really doesn't apply. Its just a total pain if you want to repair your vehicle yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in