Hemi tick/heat from engine - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hemi tick/heat from engine

I've got an '08 Overland and an '09 Ram 4x4 with the Hemi as well. My truck is quite noisy..the noise it makes sounds closer to an exhaust leak to me and after watching some videos on Youtube, I've heard different versions of the infamous tick. Aside from being annoying, I'm not really worried about it. It still has great oil pressure and pulls like a beast.

After popping the hood on the Jeep, however, I noticed a few things. First, it's very hot under the hood, more so than under my truck. Is this because it's a lot more cramped under the Jeep's hood and there's less room for the heat to escape? Temp runs fine even when pulling my boat. Second, I was charging the ac-which didn't work-and heard a different ticking noise from what my truck makes. It wasn't quite a tick but definitely wasn't a knock. Is this paranoia on my part or should I dig a little deeper into the noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Engine heat under the hood, if you're water temp reads normal, I would NOT be too concerned. Yes, I suspect how crowded it is under the hood is the cause for the additional heat under the hood. More room means air circulation while moving and cooling down of the engine compartment. The splash guard on the bottom of the Commander probably reduces that air circulation to cool off the engine bay as well.

Engine tic's are pretty difficult to, if you can hear it in the passenger compartment with the windows closed, then likely it is normal.

Its hard to diagnose the source, if all you've got to go on, it tics like most Hemi's but a little louder.

And yes, charging AC with just a can and tube from the store is a risk. There are a dozen things that can go wrong to make the AC NOT work, only one of them is a slow leak that a blind charging without the right tools might "improve" NOT really fix. You need to put a set of gauges on the AC system and read the pressures, to start to understand what is going on in the AC system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in