Jeep Commander in the News(bad news) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,402, Level: 21 Points: 1,402, Level: 21 Points: 1,402, Level: 21
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jeep Commander mentioned in US news &world report

Saw this article today on Yahoo and wanted to share it. They talked about
Hummer and other SUVs along with struggling sales. Here is what they said about our favorite Jeep.

from
U.S.News & World Report
Cars Hurt Most by $4 Gas

Jeep Commander. That thing got a Hemi? Better hope not. The big V-8 engine was a hit back when gas was $1.50, but sales of the Commander--city mileage with the optional Hemi: 13 mpg--have plummeted 48 percent so far this year. Other SUVs are in bad shape, too. Sales of virtually every midsize SUV have fallen by double digits, and there's now such a glut that some dealers won't even accept an SUV as a trade-in.

"Don't taze me bro!"

Inferno Red Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Saddle Brown Leather, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, 6 disc changer, Sunroof, DVD, EGR window and hood deflector, Rear hitch.

Last edited by Dees Jeep Commander; 06-15-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Title was incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Just because the commander gets bad gas mileage doesnt mean its not a good vehicle. I dont know of any vehicle out there that gets good gas mileage besides gay prius' and honda civics. Oh yeah they have those smart cars toooo. Id love to rear end one of them and see it crush like a pop can! Haha

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK
Oh yeah they have those smart cars toooo. Id love to rear end one of them and see it crush like a pop can! Haha
It is far safer than you give it credit for. Just because it is small does not mean it will crush, it has a tridium saftey cell (nascar type roll cage).
Here is an interesting story: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ash-test-8069/
Or this one that was rear ended: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ar-ended-5518/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Seems like a good time to buy a spare Commander.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

I would think twice about buying a Commander now. I looked at trading in for a Liberty and the dealer only offered me $13K for mine. I thought wholesale trade in should of been at least $16K. This is as bad as the 70's when you couldn't give the big cars away.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkjon
I would think twice about buying a Commander now. I looked at trading in for a Liberty and the dealer only offered me $13K for mine. I thought wholesale trade in should of been at least $16K. This is as bad as the 70's when you couldn't give the big cars away.

Be prepared to be eaten alive by the vultures around here after making this statement.

I tried to make a similar statement for any potential buyers who may be visiting the site and have since been crucified.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Rant warning: rant ahead...

Buy the vehicle that's most appropriate for your needs. If you have a large family or need to tow, then an SUV is a decent choice. If you commute 50+ miles per day each way, buy a comfy but economical commuter car. If you have both needs, then each person should use the appropriate vehicle.

As far as gas and mileage goes, there's a reason the government mandates the mileage number be listed on the window sticker on a new car. If you own a vehicle that gets bad mileage, and you complain about it, then you seriously need to take a good long look in the mirror at Captain Obvious staring back at you. I'm so tired of hearing people complain about how our trucks get crappy mileage and that the resale value sucks. News flash: the resale or trade value of ANY USED CAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Anything with a motor that burns fuel and is used on a regular basis is going to lose value. Any vehicle that weighs ~5,000 lbs, has permanent 4WD and has (mostly) a V8 engine is going to get mediocre mileage. Want mileage, buy a Civic or Prius, but don't expect me to bail you out of a snowdrift when you get stuck. Want capability, buy an SUV like ours, but don't expect me to listen to you complain about the bad mileage of your vehicle. Complaining about lack of engine choices (i.e.: diesels) will be tolerated but only for a short time.

In short, you bought your ticket, now you get to ride the ride. Don't complain that its the wrong ride after you've sat down and its started, there's no turning back at that point.

Rant over, now returning to our original thread...

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I knew what I was buying, funny thing is I didn't care. My Commander rocks!! I traded a Jetta getting 27+ MPG. I have dogs, go camping, fishing etc etc. My commute is short anyhow. Next month it will be short enough to bike it so who cares. (3/4 miles)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Thank you RW! I agree with your rant! I have allways "lost" money trading my cars in. But sometimes we all gotta vent a little. -43

2007 Commander Sport, Lt Graystone Pearlcoat
1999 Ford Crown Vic Interceptor,black
1999 Buick Regal LS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Points: 1,639, Level: 23 Points: 1,639, Level: 23 Points: 1,639, Level: 23
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

my lease isnt up until feb and im already thinking about getting a grand cherokee. really never used the 3rd row in this beast in the 2 years ive had it, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in