Hypermiling the Jeep Commander... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Points: 334, Level: 6 Points: 334, Level: 6 Points: 334, Level: 6
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hypermiling the Jeep Commander...

I realize that appears to be an oxymoron, but I've been playing around with some things I saw on a hypermiling website and some of them appear to work.. Most are common sense, but I was never used to trying to drive this way..
My commute is 8 miles one way, it's 4 miles of open interstate (the predominent traffic flow is in the opposite direction of my travels) and 4 miles of suburban streets with congestion, un-synchronized stoplights, crowded rush hour etc..
My combined mileage on the commute: "before" was 13.5 mpg, "after" is 17.8 mpg. A good day might be 18.5, if I'm lucky. I measure the mileage using the Commanders' mpg guage, I reset it every morning. 4.3 mpg doesn't sound like much, but it's a 31% increase from my old way of driving.
Some of the techniques are:
1. Slow down: I now usually drive about 56 on the interstate instead of the old keeping up with traffic at 75.
2. I always use cruise control on the interstate.
3. When I exit, I coast in neutral with the engine on, (I understand you can damage a modern automatic by coasting at speed with the engine off), from the time I hit the exit ramp until I reach the light at the bottom of the ramp.
4. I coast a lot when driving in town.. I will get up to speed, and whenever the traffic looks like it might backup, I throw it in neutral and coast until the traffic clears. The idea is to use the brakes as little as possible.
5. When the traffic light goes red up ahead, I coast up to the light instead of driving up then braking.
6. Pull through a parking space instead of simply pulling in. You can leave much quicker than backing out, you'll use less fuel.
7. When stopped, I stay in neutral until it's time to go. If you're stopped in gear, the engine is still trying to move the car against the brakes.
8. Avoid sitting and idling. I will even shut the engine off if I know the light will be red for more than about 30 seconds.
9. I now try really hard to time the lights so I can avoid complete stops. Really difficult around here as the lights are unsynchronized.

Some of the things the hardcore hypermilers are advocating are downright dangerous, i.e., drafting other drivers, "pulse and glide" where they will accelerate to say 60 on an interstate then coast down to around 40-45 (sometimes slower) then repeat, driving too slow for the road they're on, stop signs are "optional", etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

Your drive is almost to a T the same as mine. However, I suck at trying to conserve gas...lol. I like passing people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Commander Sport 4.7L * 28T package * Dark Khaki
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Man thats a practice I am unsure about. I am not sure but I think coasting in neutral is against the law in most states and creates a unnecessary danger. Even though I would love to save gas I don't think some of these practices are the ones we should be doing.

Now mind you I am all about slowing down, pulling through a parking space when it is a option.

I know its hard to enforce the coasting laws but do you want to be the one who shoots his RPMs up to 9k when he has to move out of the way quickly? I don't.

2006 4.7, Leather, Sunroof, Front Tow Hooks, K&N Filter, Rear Grab Handles, Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, 2" RevTek Lift, Cooper Discovery ST 245/75R17 Tires

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Points: 618, Level: 12 Points: 618, Level: 12 Points: 618, Level: 12
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

i get 17-18mpg mixed in my Commander WITHOUT the illegal and dangerous maneuvers you describe.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Points: 9,994, Level: 66 Points: 9,994, Level: 66 Points: 9,994, Level: 66
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85000
A 31% increase is definitely nice. I'm getting around 17 mpg with 90% highway. I drive 68 mph on the highway which is extremely painful (just like penguin says, I also enjoy passing people). With a 38 mile trip to work, I'm getting killed at the pump. It's still cheaper for me to pay for gas than to get a "beater" that gets good mileage.

Has it been verified that coasting to a stop light in neutral is more fuel efficient than coasting in gear?

2006 65th Anniversary Edition Commander (Black/Grey)
Specs: 4.7 V8, 4x4
Toys: Bel Vector 995
Mods: Steering Wheel Controls, removed airbox resonator,
Bilstein 5100, 245/70/17 Cooper AT/3
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

I will caution people though about coasing in neutral. When you put your vehicle in neutral at speed, it is possible for the torque converter to lock up and basically have the same effect as slamming the tranny into Park. I've seen it happen, granted the vehicle was doing in excess of 100mph at the end of a drag race, but something to be mindful of. You're probably ok at 60- but I'm not sure where the cutoff is.

Oh, and I've never once heard, or seen in a state drivers test booklet that it is illegal to coast. I think someone is making stuff up here.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I am starting to notice people turning off their engines at red lights.

2006 Silver Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, Chrome Fuel Door, Sunroof, Rusty's 2" Lift Kit, Moto Metal M0950 Rims, Goodyear Silent Armor 255/70/17, Front Skid Plate, 4XGuard Belly Skid Plate, RR Supersliders, Chrome Front Tow Hooks, AEM Brute Force Intake, and WeatherTech Floorliners. See Pics
Semper Fi
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

I've read and seen studies done before that turning off the engine for only a few seconds/minutes, only to fire it up again later... actually uses more gas than just sitting idle for the same time.

My gas saving? I just don't move the dang thing. Take the Patriot wherever/whenever I can. Ha.

FORMER Commander Owner, hangin' out for the shenanigans

for pics and information
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I agree with almost everything billspringer says. Except the coasting in neutral and shutting off the engine at a light. I have done both but do not like to. Coasting in neutral has to cause some tranny issues when droping it back into drive at speed. Coasting in drive only raises the RPM slightly from being in neutral and with the throttle totally closed can it really use up much more fuel?
Shutting off the motor at a light can't really save much. I like the Heat and AC, and worry that if I shut it off it won't start, etc...I guess it depends how long the light is though, and I do it at RR crossings while waiting for a train, etc. I think my Hemi uses less than a half gallon an hour at an idle. At least that's what I remember from sleeping in it overnight last winter....
I think all the other stuff is right on!

Black 2006 Limited 5.7
Rocky Road 2.25" Lift,
Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers,
265/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S
Gibson 3" SS Exhaust
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander
Oh, and I've never once heard, or seen in a state drivers test booklet that it is illegal to coast. I think someone is making stuff up here.
Coasting Prohibited; Violation As Civil Infraction - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 257.678

I 21710 Coasting, in neutral on downgrade. California

Section 32-5A-57. Coasting down a hill in Alabama with your car in neutral is illegal. Alabama

Do I need to find more? Let me know!

2006 4.7, Leather, Sunroof, Front Tow Hooks, K&N Filter, Rear Grab Handles, Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, 2" RevTek Lift, Cooper Discovery ST 245/75R17 Tires

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in