Turning the Traction Control Off + Traction Control Test on soft sand ! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Turning the Traction Control Off + Traction Control Test on soft sand !

First part: Turning the Traction Control Off,,,

I donít know if anyone tried to do this before ! ,, but I have done it today

As you know I go on soft sand driving very often, and the Traction Control keeps on engaging many times, even when its not needed and do no good like in hill claiming, which simply absorbs the engine power and prevents wheel slippage needed on all wheels to go through. Also that keeps me worried about the ABS system and break system from the excessive load from the Traction Control.

So I thought about turning off the Traction Control by removing the fuses. And I found two fuses, ABS pump and ABS valves. I tried the ABS pump first and removed it while the engine is off, and after starting the engine, ABS, ESP/BAS and ESP sign were all ON indicating that the ABS system (the basis of Traction Control) is Off. Then I put the fuse back in position and started the engine again, but all lights were still ON, then I put it in D and moved on and once the ABS system made the first check, all lights went off indicating that the ABS system & ESP system were back to operation.

Then I tried the ABS valves fuse (after putting the ABS pump fuse back), but got fault message (Service 4WD system) and the 4low didnít work. Then I put the fuse back in and the fault message were cleared automatically on first ABS check.

So I concluded that the ABS pump fuse is the one should be removed to get the Traction Control OFF.

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Second part: Traction Control Test on soft sand

Second part: Traction Control Test on soft sand ,,

So I was so excited to put this under the test to see how the Commander would perform without the Traction Control and how much the Traction Control is effective. And I went on a quick sand dunes trip with my friend who has a well prepared Toyota Fortuner.

First I turned the Traction Control Off and went on a quick test and put the two wheels on one side into very soft sand on a small dune wall ,,,,, see how the commander was digged in !! ,, I have never managed to get it digged in that way.

While in there I put the fuse back, and retired to move, and surprisingly it moved on !! and got itself out of the dune wall, but unfortunately due to low ground clearance I got stuck just couple of meters away from the dune wall (bottomed down) and had to be pulled out.

That was the first test,, 

Second Test describes it self,,,,, enjoy the movie

I was really impressed by that.

My friend has diff lockers in both differentials (one from factory and one ARB air-locker), and in this testing trip we drove about 30 miles in Sand dunes and we concluded that both trucks did almost the same from 4WD system point of view, but the Commander has a very low ground clearance which got it stuck once (other than the test one) and pulled out.

---------------
Addition, this was added in reply # 26 in page 3

Another test,

I managed to go back from that spot with Traction Control ON.

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ahmed; 06-30-2008 at 02:08 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

4WD
He also test drove my Commander ,,,,, and he managed to get it bottomed down on an easy descent ! ……….Never give your Commander to Toyota guys !!

Picture of the two trucks

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
So is it your opinion that it was better overall to remove the fuse or to leave it alone?

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Points: 8,711, Level: 62 Points: 8,711, Level: 62 Points: 8,711, Level: 62
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed255
He also test drove my Commander ,,,,, and he managed to get it bottomed down on an easy descent ! ÖÖÖ.Never give your Commander to Toyota guys !!

Picture of the two trucks

Fantastic....I'm off down to the beach next weekend when I get mine back from the transmission boys!!!

Its good to see clear factual instructions and methods...well done from here in the UK

BMW 5 Series Touring MSport 2013 MY
Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - All The Options Included
Mercedes AMG ML63
Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited (Late 2007 MY)
EX Jeep Commander Hemi 5.7 Limited Owner
Ex Jeep Commander CRD 3.0Ltr Limited Owner

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

So, are you saying that 4Hi with ESP all the way off is more effective is soft sand than 4LOW? I wonder what the difference would be with QDII. It didn't look like that front tire was trying at all when you didn't make it up the hill - completely unlocked.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFootballFan
So is it your opinion that it was better overall to remove the fuse or to leave it alone?
the Commander did very well as long as non of the wheels is off the ground, even when some of the wheels go on soft spots, as the truck keeps on moving without the need to engage the traction control to limit the slippage in that little extra spinning due to soft spot.

but all in all, I would keep the Traction Control On to reduce the risk of getting stuck
. especially with this low ground clearance.

But what I would like to do after the warranty ends, is to add a switch to control that fuse manually from inside so that I can turn on the TSC when needed as in the video.

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBZ
So, are you saying that 4Hi with ESP all the way off is more effective is soft sand than 4LOW?
Yes, in that particular situation (one wheel off the ground).

Quote:
I wonder what the difference would be with QDII. It didn't look like that front tire was trying at all when you didn't make it up the hill - completely unlocked.
I think QDII would do much better without Traction Control as it limits the slippage by itself.

Quote:
It didn't look like that front tire was trying at all when you didn't make it up the hill - completely unlocked.
Yea, because the lifted wheel took all the power.

if you notice in 4Hi without Traction Control, the transfer case is trying to shift the power to the front diff. but with no success as it goes back to the rear diff immediately.

in 4low without Traction Control, the transfer case locked the front and rear diffs but I think the right front tire was taking all power going to the front axle.

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Ahmed, thanks for the clarification. I noticed that when I've been on three or two wheels, the ones up in the air get limited, not the ground based ones. Just curious as to what happened there. Thanks.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Ok after reading the thread twice i think i got myself really confused. Are you saying when you pull that fuse that it totally disables the traction control so that you are able to spin the tires without it kicking in and stopping wheel spin.

If this is correct then this would totally fix the problem i had while mudding last night. If you read my thread you can get more info on the problem i was having. Basically i was in some mud and due to all the tires being in the mud and spinning the traction control would just kick in and stop the wheels from spinning so i couldnt move forward or backwards.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in