Commander QT-II vs Toyota Fortuner with diff lockers - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Commander QT-II vs Toyota Fortuner with diff lockers

In the same off-road trip which I tested the Traction control Off and ON, my friend and I found a hill formed by sand and loose rocks which seemed to be easy.

My friend has a Toyota Fortune powered by a V6 engine 4.0L and rear diff locker, he also added an ARB air-locker in the front diff, so that he have full locking 4WD system.

After couple of attempts which disproved our initial thought about the easiness of hill, he managed to get up the hill using 4Low and both diffs locked. Then I tried also couple of times and managed to get up there using 4Low (Traction Control ON, fuse was in place), This video shows both successful attempts …

Although the real lockers are assumed better than the Traction Control, this simple test can tell that Traction Control can achieve really close performance to the real lockers.

What I concluded from the two tests I made is that QT-II with Traction Control can achieve close performance to real diff lockers, so that adding real lockers might be not cost effective. (Your opinions about this thought is really appreciated)

In other hand, the Traction Control puts alot of load on the break system and break pads which might affect the system negativity after time. but real lockers can stay functional for long

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ahmed; 08-23-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Looks like qt2 with the traction control on performed better to me.

You had no wheel spin and your forward progress never slowed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
How many people will test thier Commanders in this condition?
Who needs lockers?
Who really cares?
Sell your Commander and get a Toyota.

This is a dig back at Ahmed for telling me to sell my Commander cause I dont have a need for lockers...... it is all in fun.....I know it was all in fun....

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7
How many people will test thier Commanders in this condition?
Who needs lockers?
Who really cares?

This is a dig back at Ahmed for telling me to sell my Commander cause I dont have a need for lockers...... it is all in fun.....I know it was all in fun....
no Cico, I told you to sell you Commander becouse you didn't know that it has Traction Control........
opps ..... this is even worse than not looking for lockers

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

Last edited by Ahmed; 06-23-2008 at 09:38 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Points: 620, Level: 12 Points: 620, Level: 12 Points: 620, Level: 12
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Hi guys,

I'm Ahmed's friend, who owns the Toyota Fortuner. I admire traction control in some vehicles, but some makers just don't know how to make them work right. Jeep's works very well, almost as good as Toyota's

This hill was really steep; my first attempt failed because I was really scared, I was worried the car would roll over backwards. But when I looked at it from afar, it seemed to be quite safe, so later attempt succeeded.

Traction control does participate in smoothing out the ride, compared with lockers, but in my opinion, nothing compensates for a rough-neck hard core locker, not even Quadra-Drive II. Traction control will suffer from rapid wear and/or overheating of the break pads and it is completely reliant on the electircal system of the car, all of which are not an issue with lockers. You get a blown fuse, and that's it, no traction for you.

But I must say, they do work well.

Last edited by The Alternator; 06-23-2008 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7

I know it has traction control......I have traction control..........

but...

Who needs lockers?
Who really cares?

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

It all depends on the terrain as to which type of 4x4 system is better. I took the commander in mud the other day and had major issues with the Traction Control kicking in resulting in me getting stuck because I couldnt spin the tires. Id take lockers any day over traction control in the mud. Now obviously sand is a different story but there is no sand where I live. Also the type of tire plays a big role in off roading. Using street tires in the mud totally blows!

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alternator
Hi guys,

I'm Ahmed's friend, who owns the Toyota Fortuner. I admire traction control in some vehicles, but some makers just don't know how to make them work right. Jeep's works very well, almost as good as Toyota's

This hill was really steep; my first attempt failed because I was really scared, I was worried the car would roll over backwards. But when I looked at it from afar, it seemed to be quite safe, so later attempt succeeded.

Traction control does participate in smoothing out the ride, compared with lockers, but in my opinion, nothing compensates for a rough-neck hard core locker, not even Quadra-Drive II. Traction control will suffer from rapid wear and/or overheating of the break pads and it is completely reliant on the electircal system of the car, all of which are not an issue with lockers. You get a blown fuse, and that's it, no traction for you.

But I must say, they do work well.
Welcome to the forum its nice to you have you here to share the experience.

you should've put up your name as (Ahmed's friend)

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

This is very interesting. Here in the states, Toyota SUVs may have both ATRAC and lockers (either center and/or rear, depending upon the vehicle) for even greater capability. For example, my 4Runner has a locking center differential and also as ATRAC on both front and rear axles. The FJ Cruiser has an available rear locker with front and rear ATRAC. I'm actually kinda surprised that the Fortuner offers a more old-school 4wd system with a rear locker, but no traction-based capabilities... Either way, it seems to have worked just fine in the video.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4Runner
This is very interesting. Here in the states, Toyota SUVs may have both ATRAC and lockers (either center and/or rear, depending upon the vehicle) for even greater capability. For example, my 4Runner has a locking center differential and also as ATRAC on both front and rear axles. The FJ Cruiser has an available rear locker with front and rear ATRAC. I'm actually kinda surprised that the Fortuner offers a more old-school 4wd system with a rear locker, but no traction-based capabilities... Either way, it seems to have worked just fine in the video.
I got you a mate

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in