No Front Heat - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,424, Level: 29 Points: 2,424, Level: 29 Points: 2,424, Level: 29
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 138,000
No Front Heat

My 2010 Commander has manual climate control and third row heating/cooling. I have no heat up front on any setting. The heat for the third row system works perfectly.

I've done the reset for the blend doors and run the diagnostic. I've come up empty handed. I've checked the coolant system, plenty of fluid. Hasn't been flushed recently. I haven't flushed it because my thought process is that if the problem was coolant system related then the third row wouldn't work. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I'm leaning towards just buying the blend door motor and assembly and doing it. Im not wanting to freeze this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Living in FL I don't know much about heat, but what I have heard is the 3rd seat is on a different ac unit from the rest of the truck. Maybe the heat is the same. I would remove the( when the system is cold) radiator cap and turn on the front heat to full and run the engine to ensure no air is trapped in the system.

Last edited by Creek; 10-28-2015 at 08:15 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Points: 33,405, Level: 100 Points: 33,405, Level: 100 Points: 33,405, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Heater Hoses

Here is a picture from my 06 Limited with Hemi, all will look very similar with rear heat. The red wire is just my MDS indicator connection. Feel the hoses after engine warmed up - they should be hot. This is passenger side view of firewall.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
My 2010 Commander has manual climate control and third row heating/cooling. I have no heat up front on any setting. The heat for the third row system works perfectly.

I've done the reset for the blend doors and run the diagnostic. I've come up empty handed. I've checked the coolant system, plenty of fluid. Hasn't been flushed recently. I haven't flushed it because my thought process is that if the problem was coolant system related then the third row wouldn't work. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I'm leaning towards just buying the blend door motor and assembly and doing it. Im not wanting to freeze this winter.
How did you check for coolant? If you just check at the overflow jug, you could get an inaccurate reading. If there is a leak in the system, it can draw air back into the cooling system instead of coolant from the overflow jug, leaving the overflow jug full, but the level on the cooling system dropping.

You have to open the pressure cap and look into the radiator, the coolant should be within 1" of the bottom of the pressure cap, if it is NOT you're low on coolant. Only do this when the cooling system is cool, you open it when its hot and it could burst scalding coolant all over you and burn you severely.

The diagnostic says everything is fine on the air blend doors, but you're going to replace them anyway? I'd look more into the cooling system first.

If the level in the cooling system dropped, it often can't circulate coolant through the heater core to make heat. The rear lines are lower, so the front heater core going out before the back heater core makes sense to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
Here is a picture from my 06 Limited with Hemi, all will look very similar with rear heat. The red wire is just my MDS indicator connection. Feel the hoses after engine warmed up - they should be hot. This is passenger side view of firewall.

I appreciate your reply but i can't see any picture. Might be my internet connection.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
How did you check for coolant? If you just check at the overflow jug, you could get an inaccurate reading. If there is a leak in the system, it can draw air back into the cooling system instead of coolant from the overflow jug, leaving the overflow jug full, but the level on the cooling system dropping.

You have to open the pressure cap and look into the radiator, the coolant should be within 1" of the bottom of the pressure cap, if it is NOT you're low on coolant. Only do this when the cooling system is cool, you open it when its hot and it could burst scalding coolant all over you and burn you severely.

The diagnostic says everything is fine on the air blend doors, but you're going to replace them anyway? I'd look more into the cooling system first.

If the level in the cooling system dropped, it often can't circulate coolant through the heater core to make heat. The rear lines are lower, so the front heater core going out before the back heater core makes sense to me.
I checked the radiator first. It was full. I then checked the overflow, which was low. I added more. For a few minutes it felt warmer, not hot, but warmer. I really couldn't tell if it was due to the outside temperature (It was warm when I did this) or if it helped. Now it is back to blowing cold air. I can't really tell if it is blowing cold "A/C" air or just vent air because I haven't been smart enough to check it while it's still warm out since I checked everything.

That does make sense. I appreciate the information, I didn't know that they are lower. Would you suggest going ahead and doing a coolant flush?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
Living in FL I don't know much about heat, but what I have heard is the 3rd seat is on a different ac unit from the rest of the truck. Maybe the heat is the same. I would remove the( when the system is cold) radiator cap and turn on the front heat to full and run the engine to ensure no air is trapped in the system.
I'm definitely going to try that on my lunch break here in a little bit.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY

Join us on Facebook @

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

2WD
I burped the radiator. Quite a few bubbles came up. Seemed like they came up mostly right before the fan turned on. The air got slightly warm as long as I kept the A/C button turned off. I assume it was just picking up hot air from the engine bay and sending it through the vents. It seemed to stay warm for a bit that night but now it's right back to being icy.

Since I bought it, the temp gauge never gets up to halfway. It will stay just to the left. I'm beginning to wonder if this is related in some way. Perhaps a new thermostat is in order?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Its normal for the Temp gauge to go up to "just short of Halfway".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in