Classics - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Classics

Is a 10 year 06 XK 4.7 4X4 considered a classic in the MOPAR books?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Well, I guess that I did not explain the reason behind this post since there were no responses. I took my XK into the dealer with a noise/whine which started at 64mph, they diagnose it as a bad front differential problem. I was told at this time that my 06 4.7 was like a classic car on the Jeep parts list. I have the QDII and don't know how much this transmission has changed over the 06-10 build cycle, Took a week to find a replacement assembly. Then it went bad. Now my XK has been it the shop for a week again and they say they sourced a part, no sure if new or used.

So what do you think ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
Manufacturers are required to supply parts for any vehicle they sell for 10 years. After that, unless the parts is still being used on a newer model they no longer have to supply that particular part. Usually aftermarket parts companies will supply parts if there have been enough vehicles to justify supplying replacement parts. This may be what they were talking about calling it a classic jeep it is after the 10 year point. Just a guess on my part.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Not sure about Manufacturer's being "required" to provide replacement parts for 10 years. It's just good business sense for the manufacturer's to provide parts while they have lots of cars still on the road, which today people are keeping cars for 10 years, they have to for how much they pay for them. I just can't imagine how someone could require a manufacturer to do this, without it being unreasonably intrusive into the business, but government has done that.

There are a lot of complaints on this forum and others about spare parts being on back order for weeks even months, half a year. Since FIAT has taken over, and the company is now FCA, there is lot of business articles about FCA putting all its cash into new products and production. Its a pure guess, but perhaps FCA is ignoring the servicing of after sale vehicles and putting all their resources into making new vehicles. I don't know about other brands, I might be wrong and this might be an industry wide problem, not just FCA and it has something to do with the state of the economy.

Remember, the drivetrain and engines did NOT change much over the years. The drivetrain and engines are the same as the WK Grand Cherokee that was very popular.

I suspect the Dealer is blowing smoke up your butt, telling you have a classic and that is why they have trouble getting parts. The truth is likely they can't get parts for most of the vehicles being brought in, and they have to wait weeks for them on back order.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:35 AM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
It is actually a federal law that any manufacturer has to supply replacement parts for any vehicle sold for ten years. Yes it is a good business practice but also a law.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wow, never realized that, and it may never had caught much attention because Manufacturer's were already doing that.

Regardless, for what ever reason, FCA "seems" to be keeping there selves of spare parts lean, and resulting in lots of back orders and waiting for repairs. You are NOT the only one complaining about waiting for spare part to arrive.

I am more likely to assume the dealer is trying placate you by blaming your Commander being a "classic" as the reason for the delay and NOT FCA's problems or priorities that is resulting in everyone waiting for parts.

To be fair, the NHTSB has been on a rampage lately, insisting on recalls for very iffy things. A few are real problems, some are arguably NOT, and there is a few that are totally bogus.

The 90's Grand Cherokee Fuel Tank recall is totally bogus, there is no defect, it meets all crash and safety standards at the time it was produced and it does NOT have a rate post crash fires anymore than any other vehicle. But a couple of media stories and bogus lawsuits and the NHTSB jumps on the band wagon and insists on a recall, for pure hype and no facts.

So all of FCA spare parts efforts might be going toward fulfilling these growing lists of recalls. And all the manufacturers are having the same problem with lots of recalls being issued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in