Key fobs replacements?? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 870, Level: 15 Points: 870, Level: 15 Points: 870, Level: 15
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Key fobs replacements??

Wife lost both of our key fobs for our 2007 Commander. We have two extra keys, but they are just keys and don't have the remote heads on the. So I bought two new 2007 jeep commander remote start key fobs on ebay for $50. Took them to the deal and they cut them and tried to program them. Remotes heads don't work. Keys start the truck but dealer said they can't program the remotes? Bought another set of keys fobs on Amazon for $70. Dealer is having the same problem with them? What's the deal? The set my wife lost where aftermarket keys fobs, they worked fine. When i took the Jeep in to get the remotes programmed the dealer also replaced ignition switch under a recall. Do you think the new switch doesn't allow for aftermarket key fobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28 Points: 2,250, Level: 28
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Did you make sure they had 3 buttons on them? I did the same exact thing and it turns out the new keys only had 2 buttons and didn't have the hatch release, and thus were different and would not program. I found another set on EBay that had the correct number and placement of buttons and this time they worked perfect.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

NOT sure of your problem, I do know the remotes and FOBIK keys (Different than your transponder key) have to be purchased by part number NOT appearance.

i.e. there are several different remotes and FOBIK keys that look alike for Chrysler cars, but do NOT work with every Chrysler car. One part number only works with 2 or 3 models and another part number works with another 2 or 3 models, etc.

The Owner Self-Programming of Keys feature was NOT discontinued until 2010 for the Commander. So you should have the ability to program new keys yourself. There is a limited number of keys you can program to the car during its life, I think its 7 or 8, so tell your wife she can't keep losing keys. If you have two valid keys now, you can put the vehicle in the self-programming keys mode, this is suppose to program the remotes to the vehicle. Look it up on the O.M.

If doing the procedure in the O.M. doesn't work, I'd look up the part number needed for your vehicle, and compare that to the part number on the remotes you're trying to program, they don't match, I bet thats your problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
On my 06 XK, you need two good keys to self program a third. I went to a locksmith for a replacement key and it cost 200.00, but it works.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
On my 06 XK, you need two good keys to self program a third. I went to a locksmith for a replacement key and it cost 200.00, but it works.
Well the keys works for Jimmyz, its the remote heads that do NOT work. I'm assuming your key and remote head both work?

My guess, your locksmith got the correct key and correct part number remote head.

Jimmyz got the correct key (which I think the transponder key is the same for all Chrysler Vehicles its the remote head that only work with certain models), but ordered remote heads off the internet assuming any Chrysler Remote head works with any Chrysler vehicle.

The Dealer isn't putting two and two together and realizing that they are being handed the wrong part number remote head for the vehicle, that is why it won't program to the vehicle. They should catch that and tell Jimmyz that is the problem. A lot of Dealers are NOT very competent, so they are just telling Jimmyz, they tried, it didn't work.

BTW, Creek, something to keep in mind. Two ways locksmiths make keys for transponder key vehicles. The easiest way is to use a clonable key and clone the key you give them. The harder, but better way is to use a direct replacement transponder key and Dealer Tools or very expensive locksmith tools to program the vehicle to the new transponder key. If he charged you $200 for a key, I hope he did the more expensive better job and didn't overcharge you for a clone of the key you already have, that many places charge $25-$50.

Here's where it makes a difference. A "Cloned" transponder key replicates the signal of the key it was cloned from. So both keys work with the vehicle because its sees both keys as the same key. But when you go to make more keys using the self-programming feature, it won't work, because you do NOT have two valid keys to initiate the self-programming. When you stick in the first key, then stick in the 2nd key, the car will see it as you just sticking the same key back into the ignition, NOT a 2nd key, even though they are 2 keys, the car sees them as the same key.

That is why its called a clone key. The transponder keys are suppose to be different, every single one, the vehicle is programmed to accept the unique signature of that transponder key as being for it and will allow it to start the vehicle. But they came up a cheap way to make copies and that is to use an aftermarket key that works different and can be programmed to replicate that unique signal from the other transponder key.

The FOBIK's, used in later Commanders, use an RFID chip, that works somewhat like the transponder chip. For some reason, I don't know why, those RFID chips are NOT clonable. So you can't get clones made of those keys, you can only program the car to recognize the RFID chip interaction as being valid for that car.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-15-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in