NV245 Transfer Case Replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21 Points: 1,439, Level: 21
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

NV245 Transfer Case Replacement

My wife drives a 2010 Commander with the 5.7 engine and QTII and only about 30,000 miles.

Last week the Service 4WD warning light came on. Our mechanic (not a Jeep dealer) read the codes and says that he believes the entire transfer case needs to be replaced (I have asked him to provider the exact codes and will post).

We have had no mechanical problems with the Commander, including using the low range 4WD. We were told the N23 recall was performed before we bought the vehicle.

We have owned the Commander for about one year, and all fluid changes have been done with the correct fluids and at the recommended intervals, to our knowledge.

However, gas mileage has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so, to about 15 mpg on the highway (from about 18 or 19 mpg).

Fortunately, my wife made me buy a comprehensive extended warranty that covers the transfer case. My mechanic has indicated that the warranty company is going to inspect my Commander before they authorize the repair.

I have perused this site, and I don't see much discussion about problems with the NV245 transfer cases that require replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,787, Level: 95 Points: 24,787, Level: 95 Points: 24,787, Level: 95
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
My wife drives a 2010 Commander with the 5.7 engine and QTII and only about 30,000 miles.

Last week the Service 4WD warning light came on. Our mechanic (not a Jeep dealer) read the codes and says that he believes the entire transfer case needs to be replaced (I have asked him to provider the exact codes and will post).

We have had no mechanical problems with the Commander, including using the low range 4WD. We were told the N23 recall was performed before we bought the vehicle.

We have owned the Commander for about one year, and all fluid changes have been done with the correct fluids and at the recommended intervals, to our knowledge.

However, gas mileage has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so, to about 15 mpg on the highway (from about 18 or 19 mpg).

Fortunately, my wife made me buy a comprehensive extended warranty that covers the transfer case. My mechanic has indicated that the warranty company is going to inspect my Commander before they authorize the repair.

I have perused this site, and I don't see much discussion about problems with the NV245 transfer cases that require replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Never had to have a transfer case replaced - I did have the actuator motor on my transfer case replaced - I was unable to shift into 4-LOW which also generated the service 4WD System warning.

Most warranties cover all sealed internal components of the power train - that would include the transfer case - if it is in fact bad.

The first question I would ask is - Can you still shift in and out of 4-LOW?

If you can't, you may want to check and see if the P73 recall has been performed on your Commander which is the recall for reprogramming the final drive control module. This recall is specifically for Commanders with Quadra-Trac II.

There is a thread about the P73 recall a couple of threads down from this one you may want to read in detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-14-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

There are plenty of posts about the N23 update causing the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) fail its self test and disable any shifting of the XFR case and setting a Service 4WD warning light.

I have seen posts about replacing the Shift Motor, the seal can go and XFR case oil will leak into the motor and damage it.

I have yet to see a post about XFR Cases failing, especially at 30k miles.

The P73 software update is suppose to fix the erroneous failing of the self-test and disabling the shifting. If you have NOT had the P73 update done, you should have it done.

I would be suspicious of the diagnosis your mechanic is giving you. There seems to be several common problems that will light the Service 4WD warning the least of which is the whole transfer case going bad. If the XFR case was bad, then you'd likely have noticeable drivetrain problems.

The drop in mileage could be several things unrelated, spark plugs needing changed, dirty air filter and low air pressure in the tires, can drop mileage huge. Check your O.M., many have plugs and air filter changed at 30k miles.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for your quick replies -- this is a great forum.

You have confirmed my suspicions that the diagnosis seems incorrect. I am going to find out the codes and press the mechanic a bit. I suspect the warranty company will press him as well. I guess I don't mind if they pay for a new transfer case but I would prefer that the real problem be fixed. It doesn't seem like the internals of a transfer case would go south at only 30,000 miles.

I am going to check to see if it will go into 4WD low and also if my wife had the P73 software update done.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:

You have confirmed my suspicions that the diagnosis seems incorrect. I am going to find out the codes and press the mechanic a bit. I suspect the warranty company will press him as well. I guess I don't mind if they pay for a new transfer case but I would prefer that the real problem be fixed. It doesn't seem like the internals of a transfer case would go south at only 30,000 miles.

I am going to check to see if it will go into 4WD low and also if my wife had the P73 software update done.
Well, its possible for a XFR Case to go bad within 30k miles.

But, the Commander is full time 4WD or AWD, all the time you're driving the power is going through all the parts of the transfer case, with the exception of the reduction gear for the 4LOW while you're in normal mode, which is most of the time. So that is your number one reason to be suspicious of the diagnosis, how can the vehicle drive just fine, meaning the XFR case is transmitting power properly if the XFR case is shot? NOT to mention there are several more minor common problems that set that warning light, to include a bad software update (that you appear to have) that erroneously sets that light when nothing at all is wrong with the XFR Case or 4WD drivetrain. The latest software update fixes the erroneous lighting of that warning.

If would be helpful to know the specific diagnostic codes stored in the FDCM or any other electronic module. Some independent repair shops have NOT made the hefty investment in diagnostic software, cause the Manufacturers control it and they are using it to deny business for Independent Shops and create revenue for themselves by forcing owners back into dealerships for anything that requires reading codes other than OBDII (and even OBDII is only available because the Fed's mandate it). So some independent shops are tempted to fake it, make diagnosis that are a shot in the dark, cause they have NO more clue what that code set in the FDCM is than you do.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,787, Level: 95 Points: 24,787, Level: 95 Points: 24,787, Level: 95
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry for my delay in updating my post. Here are the facts now --

1. The vehicle would not go into 4WD low. The P73 software update was done this past Spring.

2. The mechanic said that a variety of codes were showing, all with respect to transfer case operation (he says that he has a full Jeep Chrysler diagnostic code reader). He wanted to do further diagnostic tests and take a closer look at the transfer case but he first contacted the extended warranty company for payment authorization. The warranty company sent an adjuster out who said they would not pay for any more diagnostics but would pay for a complete replacement of the transfer case instead. A rebuilt transfer case was ordered and delivered about one week later.

3. My mechanic put my Commander on the lift and started to take off the transfer case. He said that he noticed that the wiring cable to the transfer case appeared to be incorrectly located and was being severely pinched.

4. He said that he repaired the wiring cable and relocated it. He then tested for codes and nothing came up. He had another mechanic drive the vehicle about 60 miles and also use 4WD low, and everything appears to be working properly. So the wiring cable seems to have been the problem and not the transfer case. He said that he could have replaced the transfer case (the warranty company would have paid for it), but he thinks we are better off with our existing low mileage (about 30,000 miles) transfer case than a reconditioned one (also, "if it is not broken don't fix it"). If we have any more problems, he will replace the transfer case if needed.

5. My wife got the Commander back about one week ago, and has driven it about 100 miles or so. No problems, including with 4WD low. The only issue is that we were without the vehicle for about three weeks.

6. Gas mileage still is lower than it has been, but the mechanic believes that it may be from the winter gas formulation where we live (in the Northeast US), as other customers are making the same complaint now. He said that the vehicle is not producing any codes, and all maintenance is up to date, including a spark plug change just two months ago.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The problem seems to be solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in