Quadra Dive II and how to use 4 wheel drive - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Talking Quadra Dive II and how to use 4 wheel drive

Hello, I have been looking all over the internet on how to use the Commanders 4 wheel drive system properly. I have a 2007 Commander hemi with quadra drive II. Im doing my first trip to the snow and have never used the 4 wheel drive system. From my understanding 4 Hi is for light snow trails or conditions and 4 Low is for heavy snow off road condition. I have a metal T bar next to my gear shift and when i pull it up it indicates 4 Low . If I hold it sometimes it will blink or sometimes i will get another yellow icon indicating active handling which is and icon of a "car on and windy road". How do i put my Jeep into 4 Hi since nothing says 4 HI like it says 4 Low. ALso what speeds can i drive at in 4 Hi. And does it mean when i get both the 4 Low and active handling light icon and what speeds can i drive at in 4 Low. And finally this may sound dumb but if I have all these feature and the stock goodyear tires that came with the car which i believe are light snow. Do i have to worry about chains at all in Reno Nevada. Thank you for the help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 AM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
4 hi is for most road conditions. When 4 Low is engaged you should be on dirt roads or on snow or in mud. Do not drive in 4 Low when on pavement or very hard packed surfaces. 4 Low is only for off road or slippery situations when you need to drive at lower speeds. The Commander is always in 4 Hi unless the 4 Low is activated. It is normal to have the active handling light on when in 4 Low. You should be fine with stock tires in snow - doubtful that you would need chains ever with the Commander in general plowed road snow conditions. I don't think Jeep recommends using chains on the Commander with Quadra-Drive II. When in 4 Low you should not drive faster than about 35 I believe. You will have to read the manual for recommended speeds in 4 Low. You will find that it is very difficult to steer when in 4 Low if you are on surfaces with good traction as 4 low is for loose dirt, mud or snow.

Last edited by bdalameda; 12-30-2015 at 02:54 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
4wd low is meant for off roading and very very heavy snow, I only use my XK on sand and never needed lo so I will have to defer to my Northerner/ western friends about snow. The icon you refer to is your traction control which I shut off before going on the sand. If you hear a sound like your anti lock brakes make stop shift into neutral and hold the traction control button until you hear a ding and get the icon. You will have to shut off traction control each time you start your XK. I believe 15 mph is highest recommended speed in 4wd lo.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

First off thank you for the replies. This forum is vary helpful. So I understand correctly when i drive into light snow condition or chains are required on 2wd cars I dont have to do anything my Jeep will automatically adjust to 4Hi? and there is no indication that 4Hi is actually engaged? Also should i alway turn off the active handling when using 4 low or 4 high. or should i just turn on active handling in the snow. Thank you again
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Its more important you learn how the drive train works, thus understand what you shifting or switching too, then you'll figure out when its appropriate to shift to different modes in what conditions.

The different terms get misused all the time, arguably the Commander is AWD NOT 4WD, and technically 4X4 is definitely the wrong term. Regardless, and you can do the research on you own for other kinds of 4WD, this how the drivetrain on the Commander works.

The Commander did come in RWD versions, this does NOT apply to them and you definitely don't have one.

QTI, QTII and QDII, normally are always in 4WD Hi, or AWD, a.k.a. Full Time 4WD.

Other 4WD vehicles, like earlier Jeeps, you normally were in RWD with the front drivetrain disconnected, and you had to throw a lever to engage the front drivetrain and put it into 4WD Hi. That is what is confusing you, you think your 4WD must be like on these, it isn't. Unless you've thrown the lever to put it into 4LOW, you vehicle is in AWD, 4HI or Full Time 4WD all the time.

You have open differentials in the front, XFR Case and rear (QDII is limited slip). As you turn and go around curves, the tires will spin at different speeds, open differentials allow the wheels to spin at difference speeds with no resistance. QDII has limited slip differentials, that allows wheels to spin at different speeds, but with some resistance, that little bit of resistance to different wheels speeds helps keep the power to all wheels in slippery conditions. QTI and QTII uses traction control to the brakes to limit slip between wheels, so they have a virtual LSD, while QDII has a real LSD.

As well, in normal mode, 4HI, AWD, Full Time 4WD, you have electronic traction control, stability control and ABS, that will activate individual brakes as necessary to help maintain stability and traction. Again you have all this, simply by starting the engine and putting the transmission lever in drive.

If you press the button on the dash, all that disables is the traction control feature that allows wheels to spin, there is a dozen other features still working in the system that are NOT disabled. In deep mud or snow, you may need to spin the wheels to get moving, in most cases you do NOT want to spin wheels and traction control prevents it. So in some cases in snow or mud, the traction control is keeping you from spinning the wheels to get moving, and you think spinning the wheels will help you get moving, then press the button and turn that feature off. When you press the button and turn off the traction control, you get a yellow light in the dash that is a symbol looking like a vehicle skidding or fish tailing on the road, to tell you the traction control is off.

In the Owner's Manual (OM) there is description on how to turn off more feature by holding the button down, it will turn off the directional control, to allow you slip and slide around, fish tailing, if you think its necessary to slog through mud or snow.

In most conditions, the normal mode is all you need, and on the Commander you have it by just starting the motor and putting it in drive. In a few conditions you might want to turn off one or two of the traction control features by using that button on the dash. So, when you encounter snow, you don't have to do anything at all, well except adjust your speed and driving habits and be more careful, the Commanders 4WD is already working and will adjust on the fly as necessary. You do have the option to turn off 1 or 2 traction control features, if you think it is necessary to spin wheels to get moving in the snow, by pressing the button.

So, say you get into really bad conditions, really deep snow, mud, sand or really loose soil off road. QTI, you can't do anything, it doesn't have 4LOW. But QTII and QDII, you can put it in 4LOW. NOW this is important, instead of trying to remember what are the exact conditions you need 4LOW, you really need to remember how your drivetrain is going to act when your 4LOW. If you know how your drivetrain is working, you'll know that, Holy Crap this is a hard high traction surface it will tear up my drivetrain if I keep it in 4LOW, that is what is important.

So, 4LOW, when you pull that lever up, OM says you should be moving forward at 1-5mph while you do it, "I believe". The XFR Case will shift a gear set in it to lower the rpm coming out of the transmission. It will disable the wheel spin control and directional stability of the Traction/Stability Control, which light the yellow Traction Control Warning Lamp on the Dash. It will also lock up the differential in transfer case that allows front and rear axles to spin at different speeds. And since you have QDII, QDII will also lock the differentials front and rear.

Most important to know is the differentials locking. Regardless if its QTII or QDII, just the XFR case or all three differentials. Once a differential locks, all or some of your wheels spin at the same speed, there is no way for all of them to spin at different speeds. When you're driving a straight line, all the wheels spin at the same speed, unless one wheel is slipping in mud or snow to make it spin faster, so even on road going straight a differential isn't turning. Its when you turn, wheels want to turn at different speeds. With a locked differential, when you turn the wheels can't spin at different speeds, they will continue to spin at the same speed. This is good and bad.

With a lock differential, the only way to turn is for some of the wheels to slip on the surface. If its a very loose surface, like deep mud, deep snow, deep sand, it easy for the wheels to slip and spin at the same speed while you're turning. In fact, if you're going slow, that can help to move, slog through the deep stuff. BUT, if you're going fast and cornering on road in the rain, wheels slipping is very bad, you slide and even spin out. More importantly, on a hard surface or even a soft surface with lots of traction, that can be bad, if the tires can't slip when your turning, and they dig in and grab the surface, which they will on road dry, or light snow or rain, etc. the drive train will try to still spin the wheels even though they won't let go, and that can result in breaking the driveshafts or tearing up the drivetrain, premature wear on the drivetrain, etc.

So, before shifting in 4LOW and locking the differentials, just think to yourself. I'm going to lock the differentials, all the wheels will spin at the same speed, meaning they have to easily slip and spin over the surface. Is that what I want? Are the conditions such that the wheels can slip and spin over top the surface? If the surface won't let the wheels spin easy, I will be tearing up my tires, driveshafts, axles and XFR case.

Also going into 4LOW, engages that extra gear set to Underdrive the drivetrain. That means you go even slower per engine speed. That gives lots of torque at the wheels to climb over obstacles or up steed hills, but the vehicle can only crawl along at a slow speed. So, if you're driving along with the engine at Redline RPM and want to go faster, you've got to shift out of 4LOW. Read the OM how to do it properly, I do NOT think shifting out of 4LOW at 20mph and the engine at redline is the proper way to do it.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-30-2015 at 11:33 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 PM

4WD
Once again Mongo you have provided an educational explanation of how things work. For this I Thank You. Reload, from what I garner from your 4wd driving experience is, if you think you need 4wd lo in the snow you are driving in, think very hard of your families safety before you do it or go with an experienced group.

Last edited by Creek; 12-30-2015 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Very well put. Thank you
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Reload69, your Commander is always in "4 Hi" as it is a Full-time 4WD vehicle that also has 4Lo capability. If you did not get an Owner's Manual with it you can download one here for free---> http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/. It will tell you when to use the 4 Lo and how to properly shift into it.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Mongo A+ thank you for the in-depth explanation. I enjoyed reading it so much i printed it out to keep in my car in-case i ever need to reference it. Thanks Agian
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 AM

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by reload69 View Post
Mongo A+ thank you for the in-depth explanation. I enjoyed reading it so much i printed it out to keep in my car in-case i ever need to reference it. Thanks Agian
One thing 4wd folks tend to forget. That even though your truck will move effortlessly through slippery conditions unlike a 2wd, it takes the same distance as a 2wd, in the same conditions,to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in