Adjustable pedals, what is that electrical cylinder. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 10,247, Level: 67 Points: 10,247, Level: 67 Points: 10,247, Level: 67
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 83k
Adjustable pedals, what is that electrical cylinder.

In addition to the motor power connection, there is another set of wires to a cylinder shaped device on the jackscrew rack. This is in line with the jackscrew. Does anyone know what the device does?

Last edited by johnc; 03-04-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Verb/noun conflict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I don't have adjustable pedals, so I can only guess, but its likely a measurement device to tell the control module the exact position of the pedals.

If I understand how the adjustable pedals work, they can store the setting for several drivers, on some models according to the key ID the driver is holding and automatically adjust the pedals to the last place they were positioned too for whomever used that key. OR in other models, according to one of several buttons pressed to identify which driver.

To be able to adjust from one position to another accurately and reliably, the control module needs to know what position the pedals are beginning from.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

4WD
No memory

If my commander has a memory for the pedals, I have not found it (bought it used). I was thinking it might be something like that. My pedal motor ran one way, and quit. I can hear the motor doing something when hitting the switch in either direction. I pulled the drive cable to the accelerator pedal, and they are still not moving. Might pull the dash switch, and forget about it.
Chryco and electrics! I can only imagine the things that will go wrong with the new Cherokee- Chrysler engineering meets Italian electrics!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I remember reading something about the seat, mirrors and pedal adjustments; that once you've set them they are stored in memory and at least 2 different positioning's could be stored in the vehicle. There was a button by the mirror controls, something like selecting one or the other and the seats/mirrors/pedals would all adjust to the stored positions. As well as the keys doing it.

Remember, if you have a Transponder Key, they are the normal metal keys with a transponder chip molded into the plastic key head or inside the remote control key head, those keys can be cloned. And cloned keys will appear as the same key to the vehicle. While properly programmed keys will appear as different keys, though still authorized to start and run it, to the vehicle. So its possible if all you have is cloned keys, the vehicle doesn't see a 2nd key to store separate positions in.

There is no way I know of to clone the RFID chips, they must be programmed to the vehicle, so each key appears different to the vehicle.

As well, the power seats and adjustable pedals were separate options, so perhaps the storing of preset positions was some "Electronic Convenience Group" option that you could have adjustable pedals but NOT the option with the storable presets.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Points: 16,402, Level: 82 Points: 16,402, Level: 82 Points: 16,402, Level: 82
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
What year is your XK?? I have one of the first 06 XK limited and it has a programmable memory. Look on the drivers door inline with the door handle there should be a switch marked 1&2 this is the switch you use if you want two separate settings. I also have found that if you do not use this feature, mine returns to the setting of the last driver. I gave up trying to keep the 2 driver memory, because every time you disconnect the battery you must reset the memory and I and usually the sole driver.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
Current Mileage: 125K
I have an 06 and adjustable pedals with no memory.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Recently replaced my pedal assembly and got a good look at everything.
The cylinder is indeed a position sensor. Mine does not have a memory seat, and still got the cylinder. Probably deemed prudent to reduce parts inventory by using the same assembly for memory and non-memory adj. pedals.
Now comes a point of possible confusion:
The wiring from the pedal has 5 wires, yet the vehicle harness connector block has only 2 wires. The 2 wires feed the motor only. Must be the memory pedals use all five wires, and a different harness (the present connector shell could be be "fed" extra wiring prongs if one wanted to.)
Once had a Fomoco product with a wiring harness which had "loose" connectors. That harness was for every possible option in that area of the trunk. Took 15 minutes to install the solenoid for the remote release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in