pressure wash my seats? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

pressure wash my seats?

my kids are filthy animals. the 2nd and third row seats are disgustingly dirty, grimy and stained. I am thinking about removing the seats, spraying them down with LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and then taking a pressure washer to them. has anyone else pressure washed their seats, and if so, how did it turn out?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Yes, I have 3 kids and would make long trips with them, the damage they can do a to a vehicle while they are young is immense.

IMO, pressure washing a seat is too harsh, it "might" do damage. Perhaps if the pressure washer has an adjustment for the lowest setting for temp and pressure, it might be ok to use.

Removing the seat does wonders for thorough cleaning of the seat and carpet/floor. I have been able to thoroughly clean absolutely disgusting seats with just a brush and fabric shampoo mixed with warm water, then using a wet/dry vac to vacuum out the dirty soapy water sucked up by the fabric and foam. May have had to repeat it several times. The wet/dry vac will get the seats 3/4 dry if you take your time with it, if the wet/dry vac is still sucking up dirty/dark water out of the fabric cushions, that means you need to go back and repeat with the brush and soapy warm water, until it sucks out at least mostly clean water. After you get it 3/4 dry with the wet/dry vac, leave them in the sun to dry fully and re-install them after doing the same to the carpet.

Usually, pulling the carpet is more work than it is worth, you have shampoo the carpet and wet/dry vac it while its still in the vehicle.

And there is nothing wrong with putting it all back together still damp, and leaving the windows open for it to dry as well, provided it doesn't rain on the vehicle while the windows are open. It might take several days before it dries out completely.

Shampoo, honestly any good cleaner mixed with warm water does great, using the spray cans you can purchase at auto stores are too expensive and slow to thoroughly soak and do an entire interior, they are more a spot remover/spot treatment deal. In the past I have just mixed some laundry detergent and simple green in a pail of hot water to use a brush to shampoo the seats and carpet with the seats removed.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Oh, BTW, bolts that hold the seats in can sometimes rust and seize over the years. So, be careful, if the bolt doesn't want to give and unbolt, it might be wiser to elect to clean the seat while it is still in the vehicle. I have snapped off bolts that hold in seats, fixing that becomes 10 times harder than cleaning the seat while it is still in the vehicle.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
When my late chocolate lab, Jelly Roll, unloaded about ˝ a gallon of pee over my back seat and carpet I struggled mightily to get the smell out. We lived in Florida, and the humid air and heat seemed to work together to re-activate the pee stench even after repeated cleanings. The only thing that worked was pulling the seats and carpet out and using a hose to flush the fibers and fabric out with gallons of water. With kids and the sugary, sticky mess they make, I would try a Rug Doctor fitted with the upholstery attachment. The warm water, chemicals and suction should do the trick. BTW, a Rug Doctor saved my bedroom carpet from Jelly Roll's putrid puke after he ate and vomited a half rotten frog he found in the yard. The smell was epic! I really miss that dog, though. He was the closest thing to a distillation of joy and love I've ever been blessed to know.

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in