Towing squat? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mongo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Towing squat?

I know this has been asked before but I didn't see what I want to do to fix it. My jeep has a RC 2" lift and its level now. OEM is obviously front raked. This week I towed a car with a 2200 trailer and even the trailer had me squatting about 2". The car added another 1-2" so the front was very lifted. Easiest thing I can think of is another spring from a truck or something that is the same length and width but a much thicker coil or spring rate. Anyone have this spring in mind? Maybe off of a dodge 2500 or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
I know this has been asked before but I didn't see what I want to do to fix it. My jeep has a RC 2" lift and its level now. OEM is obviously front raked. This week I towed a car with a 2200 trailer and even the trailer had me squatting about 2". The car added another 1-2" so the front was very lifted. Easiest thing I can think of is another spring from a truck or something that is the same length and width but a much thicker coil or spring rate. Anyone have this spring in mind? Maybe off of a dodge 2500 or something?
Couple things out there for you:
You can get an airbag kit to support the rear of the vehicle. There a few kits that work with XK/WKs, just find a decent shop that work with these. They can be pricey though...

or

you can get some new springs from OME/ARB. It is best to call them for what spring would be best for you. The price is $160 from most places and fairly easy to install if you are handy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 AM
Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 115000
OME heavy duty springs are the best bet. I can't even tell I am towing something

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The trailers weight distribution (tongue weight) and how the tow hitches line up make a huge difference in squat. Before I spend a lot of money and time on air bags and/or different springs, I'd get a tow hitch that is the correct height for the trailer, and check the tongue weight/weight distribution of the trailer. A $35 tow hitch that lowers the ball 2" is probably a lot cheaper than air bags, as well, moving stuff around the trailer to get it to the proper tongue weight is something you should do anyway.
Mk153smaw likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The trailers weight distribution (tongue weight) and how the tow hitches line up make a huge difference in squat. Before I spend a lot of money and time on air bags and/or different springs, I'd get a tow hitch that is the correct height for the trailer, and check the tongue weight/weight distribution of the trailer. A $35 tow hitch that lowers the ball 2" is probably a lot cheaper than air bags, as well, moving stuff around the trailer to get it to the proper tongue weight is something you should do anyway.
Well I have a proper hitch for the ride height of my vehical and trailer. And as for placing the car I don't have that option using a uhaul trailer. The car has to go all the way up to the front stops to use their straps.

I'll call ome, thanks guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I pull a 4800 lb trailer with my 06 - 4.7L. With proper set-up, the Commander only sets 1/2" lower than without having the trailer on the weight distribution hitch. The tongue weight on the Jeep is about 650 lbs. I know that many trailers (rentals) do not have weight distribution hitches, but swapping to the HD springs will give a stiff ride forever. Been there. Maybe better rent/borrow the tow rig, if that's an option.
My 2 cents.... Good luck with it.

Joe R.
SW Washington
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Mongo nailed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 PM

I have a 2" RC lift and tow a 4500lb camper. Without a drop hitch and weight distribution hitch, the Commander body was almost rubbing the tires and there was a definite lack of steering control. With a drop hitch and weight distribution hitch, she doesn't squat at all, plus the hitch controls sway in the trailer. I bought a top shelf setup and spent about $550, but you can buy a decent one for about $300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in