Jeep slow to crank - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Jeep slow to crank

Hey I have a 06 v8 base model commander I noticed about a week ago that it was slow to crank. I would hold the key in position a few seconds before anything would happen...but now it just won't start anymore my battery is new and I believe the starter is still good all the lights come on but just one click then nothing happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

A new battery can still go bad in very short time if there is something wrong with the charging system. Or at least, the battery runs very low on charge.

Check the battery voltage with the ignition off and on, and maybe even when a helper cranks the motor.

A new fully charged battery should make 13V with no draw on it (ignition off), 12V, perhaps a touch less with the ignition on and engine not running, and it might drop down to 10V while cranking the starter, once the motor is running, the alternator has to make more voltage than the battery for the battery to charge, and the charging voltage will also change with the temperature of the battery, at least 13.5V and going higher to 14.75V the colder the battery. If you're getting much lower voltages something is wrong with the battery, either a malfunction in the battery or the battery is low on charge because of something wrong with the vehicle.

The current needed to light a few small lights compared to the current needed to crank and start the motor is hugely different. Do NOT assume because the lights come on, that the battery is NOT the problem, a bad battery can light the lights but just fall flat on its face when you try to start.

Some of the earlier Commanders did have a problem with corrosion on the Starter Motor Cables, that would short the battery current to the starter motor and thus the starter would NOT crank. Removing and cleaning them, or replacing the cables solved the situation.

As always, the first trouble shooting step is to look for stored fault codes. Search for how to do the key dance, on this site or youtube, to see it explained, you can have the DTC's read out in the EVIC.

Last edited by Mongo; 05-02-2016 at 11:26 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

BTW, what brand/model battery did you get? I got a Walmart Battery in the OEM size, and within a year it had a cell burn out or short, doing exactly what you describe. I took it back to Walmart and had it replaced under warranty, within weeks a cell burned out again. After that I went to an auto store and got a totally different brand battery and its been going strong ever since.

Up till this point, I've always had good experiences with the Walmart Batteries, but for my Commander, I got two bad ones in a row.

In my case, with the burned out/shorted cell, I have 12 hours from shut-off till restart, or the battery would NOT have enough current to start. If restarted the vehicle within 12 hours, I had no problem, I waited more than 12 hours, I got click, click and no start, although all the lights and stereo worked fine. The Ignition Off Current draw has always been wonky on my commander. No reason to suspect a short, till I used the Walmart brand battery's. When I measured with the Walmart brand battery in, it would jump back and forth between the 300 milliamps to a whole amp. When I switched a different brand battery it went back to a more reasonable 100 milliamps sometimes jumping up to 300 milliamps. I'm guessing the burned out/shorted cell in the battery was causing the large ignition off draw readings.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Points: 575, Level: 11 Points: 575, Level: 11 Points: 575, Level: 11
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

aside of all the very good tipps given, make sure you check this simple stuff first:
1. Have a look at the Batterie Terminalkes- corrosion ? Wash them with plain water and then use terminal fat when tightening. If not now, grease them later.
2. Tighten the battery terminals.
3. Enough battery water in the cells ? If not fill up with destilled one. (only for servicable batteries)

You may need a starting aid for the first start then, because the battery is still discharged. Then make sure you run the car for at least a while, batteries don't recharge within a few minutes.

If this don't help, post again and /or use the other tipps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in