Looking for some insight from you all... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By consumedbywater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
CFH
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Looking for some insight from you all...

Im new too the commander seen... I will be selling my 2004 BMW M3 which Ive owned and maintained for quite some time now. Reason for selling and getting hopefully a commander is I own a wakeboard boat, 90lbs German Shepherd, mountain biking and sick of driving a stick shift in a 45min commute.

So the insight that Im looking for is are these trucks really that reliable?? My bmw was very reliable only if it was maintained... which cost a arm and a leg. So I have no problem with maintenance cost... I am DIY guy and have all the tools in the world. How is the forum on the diy's threads?

Now...I did owned a 04 WJ for a few years and it was a great suv or me. It really didnt have any issues... just the blend door problem and it had the 4.7 in it which was a little weak... and Ive been reading these motors are having issues with valves, so should I be looking at the hemi? I cant go with the 3.7 for the reason of owning a 4,000lbs boat and the mpg I could careless about since gas is waaay cheaper then when I had my WJ, think I was paying almost 5 a gallon at the time. So yeah... just looking for a little insight... is there a 3-4 big things I should know about these before I start my search?

Honestly... kinda scared getting into a car I dont know. Ive replaced so much in my bmw and know the car so well. There is TON of youtube videos and diy's for ANY issue on it. Just dont want to step into a car that has a lot less of what I mentioned.

Last edited by CFH; 05-04-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 AM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I have an '06 hemi, and I've found that it's a pretty reliable vehicle. 143k on it now and the only problems I've had are a leaky coolant hose and a thermostat stuck open. I do pretty standard servicing myself, and I think this engine will keep going for awhile.

However, if you're in the market, I'd look around for a newer model year. The '06 hasn't given me any trouble, but I know others have found bugs in it, which is natural for the first model year.

Something you should look out for though with the hemi is the notorious hemi tick. It could be caused by any number of things, and can be a bear to diagnose. Another common problem with the Commanders is a leaking sunroof, which could damage electronics and carpeting.

Finally, check out the A/C system. A few of us have had problems with gears breaking inside the system. I personally have had two break, one that controlled the recirculation door and one that controls passenger temperatures.
Conundrum2006 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Points: 33,527, Level: 100 Points: 33,527, Level: 100 Points: 33,527, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
Current Mileage: 106,000
Garage
My 06 hemi limited has had little to no problems - Wood knocking heard - The leaking sunroof is usually due to junk from the roof getting caught in the drain tube, mine is always garaged and rarely open the sun roof anyway. Never had that problem. Hemi tick - think I have a slight one but don't drive with my hearing aids in much. The cups behind the inside door handles crack apart, replacement kit available for about $40 each and lots of video's on changing them out - real easy.
Gas MPG sucks but it's a flying brick, and with the hemi I like to smile a lot. As I said 10 years old and 85,000 miles and no problems other than the door handle cups. Well maintained - helps a lot.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Overland
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Check the 4WD operation on it, check to see what recalls have been performed. If you take it to a dealer, for about $75-125 they will check everything, but the 4WD off road test, need to do that yourself.

The owner’s manual has the proper info on putting it in 4WL & Neutral Tow modes, do it.

You can get the reported maintenance history as well.

Check the A/C & Heat, Front and Back. Both sides, pass/driver, buy the $10 thermometer in the auto parts store to check the A/C, if it does not reach the green line, or close there is an issue. Low Freon means there is a leak. If they charge it up before you look at it, BAM, 3 months later, no A/C.

Take it to a brushless car wash, look for leaks from the sunroof and windshield, check your floorboards.

While on the interstate, turn off the A/C/Heater, does air continue to blow in? Yes - Outside Air/Door issue.

Check everything, all the functions/dials/buttons, CD player, NAV system, etc.

Have them pull the codes.

08, Commander, Overland, 5.7L HEMI, QD-II, Stock.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFH View Post
Now...I did owned a 04 WJ for a few years and it was a great suv or me. It really didnt have any issues... just the blend door problem and it had the 4.7 in it which was a little weak... and Ive been reading these motors are having issues with valves, so should I be looking at the hemi? I cant go with the 3.7 for the reason of owning a 4,000lbs boat and the mpg I could careless about since gas is waaay cheaper then when I had my WJ, think I was paying almost 5 a gallon at the time. So yeah... just looking for a little insight... is there a 3-4 big things I should know about these before I start my search?
Commanders are good vehicles, but just like with your BMW, you have to maintain them - some, more then others, depending on how well the owner before you took care of it, and drove it, which is the X-Factor, if you will.

I'm sure most people will tell you get the Hemi - if you can find one, in good shape and without tons of miles on it.

I will say this, most people do not trade in, or sell a vehicle, if it's running great. Any vehicle you look at you should go through with a fine tooth comb - even the CARFAX reports don't tell you everything you need to know. When I bought mine which only had 62,000 miles on it when I bought it as the 2nd owner, and it was bone-stock. My Commander looked & seemed to run great.

However, after I had it 6-8 weeks, I discovered 5 or 6 different issues that I had to fix that were not readily apparent when I test drove the vehicle. Someone mentioned checking that you can shift into and out of 4-LOW - I would definitely check that several times before you buy one.

You can go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN of the vehicle you are looking at to see if all the factory re-calls have been completed:

http://recalls.mopar.com/

You can go the website URL below to get the factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options / optional equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

You mentioned having the 4.7L in your old WJ; Well 2008 was a big year of improvement for the 4.7L; It went from putting out 235HP in 2007 to putting out 305HP in 2008.

You also had a HP jump in the Hemi in 2009; from 330HP in 2008 to 357HP in 2009.

Click on the link below and you will see a chart of all the Commander power plants with the factory HP & Torque specs from 2005 -2010; Commanders were only manufactured from 2006-2010, in case you were not aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Commander_%28XK%29

I would suggest looking for a Commander Model Year 2008 or later, as the earlier 2006 & 2007 models had some issues that were ironed out in the 2008 & later models. Now that being said, there are other issues that seem to be pretty consistent through all of the model years.

I hope this info helps you with your search, good luck - and let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-27-2016 at 12:58 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
Not much else to really add at this point, except maybe experience. Definitely 2008 or better. I've got a 2008 with the 4.7 and 305HP (engine currently removed however), and at just less than 100k miles, I towed a 2 1/2 ton trailer from south carolina to washington state, and not diagonally, long story short, 3600 miles, less than 72 hours for the trip (only stopped for gas, restroom, food) no hotels, we slept while the counterpart was driving. we had 3 dogs in the back seat. the trip besides the exhaustion was wonderful, did better than I ever could have expected going up and down mountains. when in tow mode, the jeep would slow down with no breaks going down steep inclines. The only issue I had was that I had to replace rotors and brakes all the way around when the trip was over, no check engine light, nothing else. The 545RFE transmission in most of them are spoken as very reliable engines and are included with many SRT engine kits for restomods among other things vice the Mercedes Nag1. I've hauled countless things in my jeep and I've had it for 5 years now, and can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

A little off topic, I had a dream about a year ago that I got rid of it and got a subaru... I woke up in a sweat and was very upset... I'll leave it at that. lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
A little off topic, I had a dream about a year ago that I got rid of it and got a subaru... I woke up in a sweat and was very upset... I'll leave it at that. lol.
That is totally understandable...LOL.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-26-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in