Trailer wiring - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Trailer wiring

Hello friends...sorry but here is another post on the trailer wiring..
My problem: 2008 Commander-trailer wiring not working
i have the factory tow package- 4 and 5 pin round( i think..maybe 7?..i dont use it)
anyway, i do not have 3 relays under the hood in the power distribution fuse panel. numbers 5,6,7. They are missing.
Do I need these for the wiring to work properly? I can't imagine why anyone would remove them. There is also a brake controller, but the trailers I want to tow do not have brakes.
Another question: can I install a wiring harness to the rear lights and bypass the factory tow wiring, or will this screw things up?

Thanks and safe journey's from Amherst Island Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Are you sure you have the factory tow package? Or do you just have a hitch that looks like the factory hitch?

Mopar accessories sells the hitch kit and wiring package separately. I installed the hitch, it was easy enough, the Mopar wiring harness instructions looked more difficult, and even worse, the wiring harness won't work until you bring it back to the dealer and have them enable the feature on the central gateway using the proprietary tools. I said screw that and got a simple aftermarket adapter that used "T" connectors, to the tail light harness and it works just great.

Try swapping in relays into the missing spots and see if the trailer lights work. Follow the wiring from the connector and see where it goes.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mongo..thank you for your reply. I never considered that i may not have the factory tow package. It makes sense though, seeing as the relays sre missing I will check, and if not, i will get the T - harness and leave the hassle behind. I will update soon. Thanks again!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM

A previous owner might have just spliced the wires, its pretty common that crappy splices will corrode or fall apart a year or two later and then the trailer tail lights don't work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

trailer wiring...cont....

a bit of an update...more to come:
I checked the VIN with the dealer and he said ( although he seemed like he didn't really know) that he sees no sign that it has a factory tow package.
Question: I have the 'tow-haul" switch on the dash. is this an indicator, or do all Commanders have that?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM

The V8 Commanders came with the 545RFE transmission, that had a Tow-Haul switch in the dash, that changed the shift programming for towing/hauling heavy loads, I guess to prevent overheating the transmission. I believe they all got it.

The V6 Commanders came with the W5A580 transmission that did NOT have any switches in the Dash, although they were rated to tow.

The tow package for the Commander was just the Tow Hitch, Signal Light connectors and slightly higher spring rate rear springs, perhaps different shocks in the rear only. I guess the different springs/shocks were for the tongue weight. To give the Commander a higher tow rating.

The Commander came stock with more than enough cooling for the engine/trans and big enough brakes, that they did NOT need upgrading for the Tow Package.

If you don't have the tow package, you'll have a slightly lower tow rating, check your owner's manual, but still a pretty high tow rating.

And if you wanted the factory tow package, you'd just need to order and install the rear springs/shocks (NOT positive the shocks were different) and install the tow hitch. Wiring up to you, if you want to go through the pain of using the Mopar wiring kit, that they make harder and more expensive to install than a lot of good aftermarket adapter kits out there. Lights aren't going to change the tow rating.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandertom View Post
a bit of an update...more to come:
I checked the VIN with the dealer and he said ( although he seemed like he didn't really know) that he sees no sign that it has a factory tow package.
Question: I have the 'tow-haul" switch on the dash. is this an indicator, or do all Commanders have that?
If you go to the Chrysler/Dodge website at the "Dodge - Contact Us" URL at the bottom of this post you can get your Factory Build sheet.

All you have to do is go under "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search".

You will get a copy of the factory build sheet for your vehicle in about a minute.

Then you will know for sure if your Commander came with the factory tow package or not.

Dodge - Contact Us
Fatherof5 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-29-2016 at 10:54 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Just purchased a 2007 4.7 v8 with 93000 miles. I was trying to determine if I had the stock tow package or not. Based on the equipment listing I was able to get via your link I'm still unsure as I don't see it listed, but there is a listing under optional for customer package 2TS and package 28S. Additionally is mentions springs under optional for left, right, front and rear.

Any thoughts on these options and if they indicate the tow package was installed, or would it be pretty blatant if it had been?

Thanks all the same, nice to have the equipment list, as the Jeep didn't come with the owners manual. I plan to pick one up online shortly.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof5 View Post
Just purchased a 2007 4.7 v8 with 93000 miles. I was trying to determine if I had the stock tow package or not. Based on the equipment listing I was able to get via your link I'm still unsure as I don't see it listed, but there is a listing under optional for customer package 2TS and package 28S. Additionally is mentions springs under optional for left, right, front and rear.

Any thoughts on these options and if they indicate the tow package was installed, or would it be pretty blatant if it had been?

Thanks all the same, nice to have the equipment list, as the Jeep didn't come with the owners manual. I plan to pick one up online shortly.
Hey, no problem; I also believe you can order your owners manual using that same link.

I have those same preferred eqpmt packages that you have 2TS & 28S and
although my Commander did come with Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent Control & Brake Assist - it did not come with the factory towing package; I didn't have a trailer hitch or trailer wiring harness and wound up having them installed after I bought it, as the second owner. My springs are also listed the same as yours - under optional equipment.

I believe the 2TS & 28S preferred equipment packages deal with mostly luxury features like the Boston Acoustics/SiriusXM capable sound system w/276 watt amplifier, Back-up camera, Remote start, Back-up sensor/Park assist, Heated seats & Adjustable pedals; Although I am not sure of everything included in those preferred equipment packages, I am certain I just named several of the options associated with them.

I'm fairly sure if you had the factory towing package, it would be blatantly listed as such and not as some ambiguous code.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-30-2016 at 06:26 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:27 AM
Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 1233456
Just for fun I punched my VIN in, and found under "Optional Equipment":

Trailer Tow Group IV
Class IV Receiver Hitch
7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
Customer Preferred Package 2TH
Customer Preferred Package 25H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in